Curious if this is more of a woman thing...or if men also struggle with this

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't mean to offend men or women with this thread topic. But...it's something that I really struggle with. I'm curious if I'm alone in this struggle or if others have found this to be true. I am slightly OCD...so I ponder if it's more that...than the jewelry thing. I'm only guessing at my rational thought process.

Topic at hand:
Matching trees to pots. I know...in my mind...we are told to use the color wheel to find complimentary colors for pot options. But then, I guess as a woman I see pots as jewelry...and tend to fight wanting to match a shade in the pot to say...blooms,fruit, or fall foliage. I get that this is wrong...in the traditional sense. But...then, in my mind's eye...I'm broken I go back to thinking..."I still think it would look good." Which I know is wrong...but with no intentions of showing...does it really matter? Other than others in their mind's eye see a better pot choice than what I've chosen.

So who is in the same boat as I? Have you over come this or chose to embrace it?

Last edited:
I think you over think things.

I just know...of another female bonsai person...who also does the same odd pairing of trees and pots. We have discussed it at length. She is the one comparing it to possibly jewelry as to our choosing the pots. Not intentionally...but subcontiously. So...It did bring to question if men ever struggle with what we see as good pairings which really aren't traditional. Thus the reason for my thread. Apparently never was an issue for you. ;)

As a bonsai woman, I must confess that I initially approached the selection of pots as similar to selecting shoes to coordinate perfectly with a clothing ensemble. And by initially I mean six or seven years! I knew the "rules," but the notion of "accessorizing" the tree made more sense to me and was something I was already familiar with. With more exposure to bonsai pottery, through workshops, exhibits, and browsing the internet, my approach to selecting a pot is now more conventional.

I only have Tropicals now. I like matching the pot to the bark.
Cream, beige, olive, even white.
I have now found some unglazed pots and I am leaning more toward those currently.

Bonsai is an art and should involve some personal expression. As a woman you're a minority to the hobby and with a unique sense of what looks good you have the ability to create your own "style". I'm jealous I'm actively searching for a way to be unique and free in the art. those pesky rules keep scaring me back to square one. I say go get it. Unlike pruning or trunk bending, the pot isn't a permanent thing. Just like shoes or jewelry you can change it whenever (well .. to some degree).

I don't start with color. I start with style. Do I have a masculine tree, or a feminine one? Then the size of the tree and the width of the nebari determine the dimensions of the pot. Only then do I take color into consideration.
This is true even then if you have a color in mind you may not be able to find just the right size, shape or color you want.
Guess it is like shopping.

My biggest thing is...I really respect a many in the bonsai circle...when I ask their opinion...I do respect it. I would never wish to make one feel I didn't if I actually specifically asked their opinion. I chew on it...I can understand their meaning. Its in my books...and what I have heard before. But my brain is like wired wrong...I still think it would look lovely when its an ill pairing. (((SIGH))) This is where my morals come into play. Because I did ask ones opinion...value their opinion...know that their advice was right on target. Yet...Short circuit and still somewhat think...my rationing would look nice in my minds eye. So I'm thinking...maybe I am putting to much into it. Going to put it on the back burner...seeing ones also been where I'm at...seeing they overcame it...even if it took 8 years. I over came my hot mess of root phase...so maybe this too shall pass. So there might be hope for me yet...but in the mean time...I may occasionally still roll to the beat of my own drum...out of tune to many but I'm rolling with it.

Ahem. Think of the pot as the picture frame. Accent plants as jewelry, and stands as shoes.

I think that about covers it.

Unless it's shohin. Then the pots can be jewelry! And stands become the picture frame.

YOU MADE MY DAY! My trees are mostly SHOHIN!!! Adair...you are a clever man!

As a bonsai woman, I must confess that I initially approached the selection of pots as similar to selecting shoes to coordinate perfectly with a clothing ensemble. And by initially I mean six or seven years! I knew the "rules," but the notion of "accessorizing" the tree made more sense to me and was something I was already familiar with. With more exposure to bonsai pottery, through workshops, exhibits, and browsing the internet, my approach to selecting a pot is now more conventional.

Wow Beth...that quickly eh? Well...then I'm not going to let it bug me. But...I need to consider what I'm going to do...I want to know so in my mind...what is the right pairing...yet...still do my thing to a degree. Because I'm just not there yet. Thought I was...but...I'm not there yet. Fortunate for me...Most my trees are shohin. And Adair gave me an out.

The number one goal to bonsai is doing it because it gives you joy, happiness and keeps you interested in the hobby by the shear serendipity of finding things that blow your skirt up.

I am reminded of the recent thread by Fourteener and his waning of interest in the hobby. There is no joy , no happiness, and possibly no sense of satisfaction anymore. He even related his feeling towards current bonsai convention and his emotions being torn by confusion within the art. When bonsai occupies that part of the senses for a period of time the fun drains out and bonsai becomes less fun and more work. I too struggle with bonsai stands. I love building them, designing them and finishing them. I do good work and people want me to make stands. I live in a hot place in summer and a cold place in winter. I have few months to actually work on stands. Commissions are requested any time of year and its hard to tell someone you can only start next fall when it cools down. Pretty soon building stands becomes work and there is no longer any fun.

Buy cool stands, buy artful pots. Buy trees that bring you joy and forget the rest. You only have to answer to you and no one else. That is what keeps a person sane.

Adair! That is not gold! Its platinum, with diamonds!

Smoke. Same. For different reasons!

Caddy, I would say to chill your gerbil....
But I Love thinking, so I can't take that from you!

But the option is there.

You have a spirit that I don't think can be affected by "waning of interest".

You speak of "liking your trees no matter what others think", that proves it.

However, this same thing, secretly tells me you care a lot!;)

What's the point?

I have no idea!
But you have brightened up many of my days......and knowing people like you exist makes me truly happy!

Thanks! Buy them Jewels!

Sorce

The number one goal to bonsai is doing it because it gives you joy, happiness and keeps you interested in the hobby by the shear serendipity of finding things that blow your skirt up.

I am reminded of the recent thread by Fourteener and his waning of interest in the hobby. There is no joy , no happiness, and possibly no sense of satisfaction anymore. He even related his feeling towards current bonsai convention and his emotions being torn by confusion within the art. When bonsai occupies that part of the senses for a period of time the fun drains out and bonsai becomes less fun and more work. I too struggle with bonsai stands. I love building them, designing them and finishing them. I do good work and people want me to make stands. I live in a hot place in summer and a cold place in winter. I have few months to actually work on stands. Commissions are requested any time of year and its hard to tell someone you can only start next fall when it cools down. Pretty soon building stands becomes work and there is no longer any fun.

Buy cool stands, buy artful pots. Buy trees that bring you joy and forget the rest. You only have to answer to you and no one else. That is what keeps a person sane.

Thanks Al...I crave to learn what is appropriate in all aspects of bonsai...but as in my hot mess of roots stage. Which fortunately didn't last long... I also am struggling to what currently is my liking. I may see what goes into a pot differently than what is conventional. But...I want to learn what "should" be in that pot just as well. If that makes sense to anyone other than myself. I'm like a sponge that way...I always want to know the ins and outs of what makes things "work". It may take me a good 8 years or so as Beth...Or I may never come around. I tend to like the nontraditional things. I think it's why I love re-purposing things...it's not what the next Joe has on his table. That too I am pondering if it's my own wanting to stand out as my own individual.

Adair! That is not gold! Its platinum, with diamonds!

Smoke. Same. For different reasons!

Caddy, I would say to chill your gerbil....
But I Love thinking, so I can't take that from you!

But the option is there.

You have a spirit that I don't think can be affected by "waning of interest".

You speak of "liking your trees no matter what others think", that proves it.

However, this same thing, secretly tells me you care a lot!;)

What's the point?

I have no idea!
But you have brightened up many of my days......and knowing people like you exist makes me truly happy!

Thanks! Buy them Jewels!

Sorce

As I said to Al...I want to learn what "is" appropriate for my pots...even if I don't see it to my taste at this time. Because I still want to know what is conventional. My worst fear...offending one offering up the advice. Because that would never be my intention. It's not in my nature. Not hearing ones voice...and only seeing text one loses what might be sincere wanting to learn knowledge. Honestly...I am not sure I can ever...fall into this pot business. Though...as again...at the end of the day...my unorthodox parings make me happy and bring me joy. Bottom line...that IS what its all about. I am glad I'm not a competitive person...wanting to show at some point. Because that sort of thinking would be a stumbling block.

The urge to accessorize and go all "matchy-matchy" (as my wife puts it) with stuff is strong with humans in general. It's easier to match something that looks like what you've got than to find a contrasting or complementary thing. Understanding how to avoid that extremely common instinct takes some doing. It starts with eliminating those kinds of choices right from the start. Red flowers - skip the reddish or red colored pot...

If you're happy with what you're doing and aren't into showing it off, what difference does it make what pots you're using. However, if you want to get feedback or enter competition with your trees, a little more restraint and research is required.

FWIW, I tend to throw strongly-colored pots out the window with great force. They're mostly useless and can be obnoxious. I also discount "weird" right off the top. Unnusual can be effective without being obnoxious. Screamingly weird looking pots are just that and always will be. Avoid fads like "cracked earth" surfaces (I'll probably get flack for that, but that kind of surface on a pot will render it useless and dated in ten years or so, mark my words).

think subdued not loud. Think muted not glossy. Think wabi/sabi, not Walmart/kmart. Less is more. More is distracting. Think Sean Connery, not Sean Combs...

Back
Top Bottom