Curious about Bonsai, but unsure where to start.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Another question for anyone still here reading, I bought a pair of Fiskars snips(?) that I've seen recommended on this forum and elsewhere, they are small and precise. Should I have any other tools for starting out?

Those are a great little tool. As you grow your learning plant collection you will need a few more tools for various procedures. Little tough to type in what I am trying to say so we can discuss it a bit on the phone ;) For now you should be good though.

Grimmy

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Those are a great little tool. As you grow your learning plant collection you will need a few more tools for various procedures. Little tough to type in what I am trying to say so we can discuss it a bit on the phone ;) For now you should be good though.

Grimmy
Will do, thanks!

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Okay I pruned my tree for the first time, and I hope I didn't give it too much of a haircut :confused:
If anyone has any feedback I'd love to know!

Attachments

• IMG_4063.JPG
    IMG_4063.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4064.JPG
    IMG_4064.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4065.JPG
    IMG_4065.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4066.JPG
    IMG_4066.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 21

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not bad...
As in....

It could live!

But.....

But.....

Try not to...
bought a small tree to learn with, a cheap Chinese juniper because that's all that any place that was open near me had
In the future!

This shows great excitement though!
So I sure ain't hating!

Excitement deserves information.

I am a nursery tree hunter.
And A Procumbins Nana killer.

@Adair M teaches at plant city...
Coordinating a date to go see him there would be capitol! And he can help you select a great start without sales bias.(not That it exists, contrary, these updates are great)

So...when you see what $ can buy You...
You can start to better identify a dope Ass trunk and a killer effing steal at a Regular nursery.
Wal-Mart, home depot, lowes.etc...
Different animal than a mom and pops, or field grow, or commercial nursery.
I rock Wally, and the Deeps.
Less Balled and burlap clay nightmares.

The list of good Junipers up here is Usually shorter than the list of bad material.

Also..they can generically label almost anything as Chinese juniper. True or not!

I'd look for...
Sargenti\sargents, blue rug, blue point, common, and...yeah...Procumbins nana(people like em!) there's one more dirty south juniper @sawgrass rocks...
@M. Frary has one or few...???

The ones...ahem....with more upright growth habits....usually have too lengthy, sun searching foliage, that tames poorly.

Nearly everything in a one gallon pot is useless.

If the trunk is so young, there is no flakey bark....useless.

Walmart has the best 3gl generic label Chinese Junipers for 15$.(here)

Start some Shimpaku whips for grafting.
Don't wait to obtain a Shimpaku.
(weeping regret)

Chances are good...
That You can post pics from the nursery here and get recommendations in real-time. Utilize the resource!

I guess that's enough for now...

The sooner You get to Plant City the better!
If it's a whole day....plan it!

Leap Forward!

Sorce

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not bad...
As in....

It could live!

But.....

But.....

Try not to...

In the future!

This shows great excitement though!
So I sure ain't hating!

Excitement deserves information.

I am a nursery tree hunter.
And A Procumbins Nana killer.

@Adair M teaches at plant city...
Coordinating a date to go see him there would be capitol! And he can help you select a great start without sales bias.(not That it exists, contrary, these updates are great)

So...when you see what $ can buy You...
You can start to better identify a dope Ass trunk and a killer effing steal at a Regular nursery.
Wal-Mart, home depot, lowes.etc...
Different animal than a mom and pops, or field grow, or commercial nursery.
I rock Wally, and the Deeps.
Less Balled and burlap clay nightmares.

The list of good Junipers up here is Usually shorter than the list of bad material.

Also..they can generically label almost anything as Chinese juniper. True or not!

I'd look for...
Sargenti\sargents, blue rug, blue point, common, and...yeah...Procumbins nana(people like em!) there's one more dirty south juniper @sawgrass rocks...
@M. Frary has one or few...???

The ones...ahem....with more upright growth habits....usually have too lengthy, sun searching foliage, that tames poorly.

Nearly everything in a one gallon pot is useless.

If the trunk is so young, there is no flakey bark....useless.

Walmart has the best 3gl generic label Chinese Junipers for 15$.(here)

Start some Shimpaku whips for grafting.
Don't wait to obtain a Shimpaku.
(weeping regret)

Chances are good...
That You can post pics from the nursery here and get recommendations in real-time. Utilize the resource!

I guess that's enough for now...

The sooner You get to Plant City the better!
If it's a whole day....plan it!

Leap Forward!

Sorce

Thanks for the feedback, and I'd love to get over to Plant City! I was afraid that this might not be the best starting point, but it's all I had :( Especially with the pruning! I do have a question though, did the album I posted of the before pictures not show up? If so, that is unfortunate. In the meantime, I think I'm going to try to keep this one alive, and maybe see if I can find another tree somewhere else!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the feedback, and I'd love to get over to Plant City! I was afraid that this might not be the best starting point, but it's all I had :( Especially with the pruning! I do have a question though, did the album I posted of the before pictures not show up? If so, that is unfortunate. In the meantime, I think I'm going to try to keep this one alive, and maybe see if I can find another tree somewhere else!

I don't album...

But these are good!

Nice backsplash!
Don't tell @milehigh_7 I'm a tile nerd!

The most important thing is the excitement!

Keep it! And whatever it makes you do!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the guidance, I appreciate it! Do you recommend I wait until next spring to get any trees to start with? Edit: I didn't realize cypresses were deciduous! Amazing!

Bald Cypress is decidous but not all Cypress are,---- in fact not all Cypress are really Cypress.

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bald Cypress is decidous but not all Cypress are,---- in fact not all Cypress are really Cypress.
Interesting! I guess I wasn't as far off base as I thought after reading that! I have a lot to learn it appears, if it isn't evident enough by reading through this thread.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is the design for this tree as you approached this first pruning? I see you left a lower branch long. Is that a sacrifice branch? It is hard to judge your work without knowing your intent.

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What is the design for this tree as you approached this first pruning? I see you left a lower branch long. Is that a sacrifice branch? It is hard to judge your work without knowing your intent.
That lower branch is not part of the ultimate plan, So I guess it is a sacrifice! I guess I just got nervous to cut it off when I was pruning last night... I'm not sure which of the two branches I'd like to continue with where it splits partway up the trunk though, so if you have any suggestions I am open!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Consider joining the Atlanta Bonsai Society. You can meet other members and learn which trees go well in your area, and where to obtain them.

As @sorce noted, I do teach classes at PlantCity. The next class I am teaching is a JBP decandling class on July 8.

Chris Foeste, one of my students, teaches beginner classes there, usually using Procumbens nana material. The next one is around June 22, I think. The cost is $80, and includes tree, pot, soil, use of tools and wire, and instruction. Excellent deal for the beginner, and I have even been known to show up and assist.

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Consider joining the Atlanta Bonsai Society. You can meet other members and learn which trees go well in your area, and where to obtain them.

As @sorce noted, I do teach classes at PlantCity. The next class I am teaching is a JBP decandling class on July 8.

Chris Foeste, one of my students, teaches beginner classes there, usually using Procumbens nana material. The next one is around June 22, I think. The cost is $80, and includes tree, pot, soil, use of tools and wire, and instruction. Excellent deal for the beginner, and I have even been known to show up and assist.
I've actually ben in contact with the ABS, and will be going to a meeting as soon as I can manage! The class on the 22nd sounds very tempting, I'll have to see if I can make it to it though, as I have work a little ways away :(. I'd love to learn hands on, it sounds like a great experience! A question if you don't mind, do you know Smith Gilbert Gardens in Kennesaw? If so, do you think they would mind me asking for advice? They have a large collection of bonsai there and it's very close by for me. I hope to be able to make it up to Plant City soon!

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't album...

But these are good!

Nice backsplash!
Don't tell @milehigh_7 I'm a tile nerd!

The most important thing is the excitement!

Keep it! And whatever it makes you do!

Sorce
I never even saw this reply, I'm so sorry! I'll try to upload the album again of the original tree, but I don't guess it much matters at this point... I'll just try to see if this one survives and grows!

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@GrimLore is this what you meant by the stickers? I took a picture last night, it says 'Blue Point', on it!

Attachments

• IMG_4058.JPG
    IMG_4058.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 10

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've actually ben in contact with the ABS, and will be going to a meeting as soon as I can manage! The class on the 22nd sounds very tempting, I'll have to see if I can make it to it though, as I have work a little ways away :(. I'd love to learn hands on, it sounds like a great experience! A question if you don't mind, do you know Smith Gilbert Gardens in Kennesaw? If so, do you think they would mind me asking for advice? They have a large collection of bonsai there and it's very close by for me. I hope to be able to make it up to Plant City soon!
The class at Plant City is Saturday June 24 from 10 to 3.

I've never been to the Smith Gilbert Gardens, I've heard it's nice. Rodney Clemons maintains the collection. A couple times a year people from the ABS go up and help. I have no idea if there is someone there to answer questions. Most of the general public will ask questions like "how old is it", and "how do you get it that small"... stuff like that. If Rodney is there, I'm sure he would answer a few questions, but he will also be busy working.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
rocumbins nana(people like em!) there's one more dirty south juniper @sawgrass rocks...
@M. Frary has one or few...??
Parsons juniper.
It is my third choice in junipers behind shimpaku and nana procumbens.

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The class at Plant City is Saturday June 24 from 10 to 3.

I've never been to the Smith Gilbert Gardens, I've heard it's nice. Rodney Clemons maintains the collection. A couple times a year people from the ABS go up and help. I have no idea if there is someone there to answer questions. Most of the general public will ask questions like "how old is it", and "how do you get it that small"... stuff like that. If Rodney is there, I'm sure he would answer a few questions, but he will also be busy working.
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it! I'll see if I can make it out to that class, I'm hoping I can! I'm also looking at some other types of trees, I'm afraid I may have been a little aggressive in my excitement!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are these all good types of Juniper? Is mine a good type as well? I'm afraid I've been a little overzealous with my initial pruning....
I'm not sure what yours is.
No you didn't take too much off from what I see.
I like the ones I use because of their smaller foliage characteristics. Also their ability to handle extreme cold.
Yours may be a sea green. I had one and it was tough too.
It got ate by voles though and I haven't seen one I like to replace it.

Qomsday

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not sure what yours is.
No you didn't take too much off from what I see.
I like the ones I use because of their smaller foliage characteristics. Also their ability to handle extreme cold.
Yours may be a sea green. I had one and it was tough too.
It got ate by voles though and I haven't seen one I like to replace it.
The sticker on mine says its a Blue Point, but it is from Home Depot so who knows. Thanks for the reassurance, maybe I can keep this one alive :)

Top Bottom