Crape Myrtle I found at our local nursery

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that I'd remove one of the middle two branches, and get that broom style going! I would also try to get a sacrifice branch down low to grow the base out. And spread those roots as soon as you can in a shallower container. You'll want to get the roots growing sideways instead of down. These are pretty easy, esp. probably in your warm climate, so you should be able to work it pretty hard.
Nice find.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Judy, and I think I'll follow that advice on removing one of the two middle branches. Unfortunately, I got overzealous or just too excited and removed a branch that was sitting at the soil line. Should have hung on to that one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If that back branch is nice, I'd remove those 2 visible middle ones.

Nice tree!

Sorce

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce. Here is pic of the other side. Pics are deceiving as there are only 4 branches. If I remove middle two there will be nothing in the center.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 70

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pat
I could see maybe removing 1 middle branch but not both. My self I hate to cut anything before its time. Would leave both and probably try to wire the 'extra branch' and move it more appropriately. Your dog looks like my wifes ' jack a poo ' Jack . Although his markings are more tannish.

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good thought Qwade. I think I will take this to my bonsai class and see what my teacher and students think. I too hate eliminating branches before their time and wiring is a good idea.

That's my rescue dog Ivey. She passed some years ago and although badly abused prior to me getting she was the best dog ever. I miss her still.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crape myrtle branches get very stiff once they reach a certain size. No wiring at that point, for they're also very brittle. The good news is, they backbud extremely well so you can cut back hard and wire in movement between soft shoot stage and rigid branch stage.

Zach

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce. Here is pic of the other side. Pics are deceiving as there are only 4 branches. If I remove middle two there will be nothing in the center.

I see.

I do like this side better, the base looks much wider.

Sorce

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zach is right. The smaller branches I trimmed were very brittle. These larger ones would never bend without cracking. Thanks for your input.

Top Bottom