Corny jigs

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Why do these people want to be labelled as "criminals" ?
I can't understand, now that I'm an adult, why passing for thugs is so attractive.
OK boomer will you say.
But is violence what turns on younger generations ? Wow...

My son went to my place today. when I was cooking a curry with basil), I heard him play the guitar (I don't any more, arthritis in my fingers). He likes hard rock, but I caught him strumming this, which I love; if you can't speak French, not sure you'll appreciate (tching tching boom, repeat :D ) :

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Why do these people want to be labelled as "criminals" ?
I can't understand, now that I'm an adult, why passing for thugs is so attractive.
OK boomer will you say.
But is violence what turns on younger generations ? Wow...

My son went to my place today. when I was cooking a curry with basil), I heard him play the guitar (I don't any more, arthritis in my fingers). He likes hard rock, but I caught him strumming this, which I love; if you can't speak French, not sure you'll appreciate (tching tching boom, repeat :D ) :

From what I could piece together:
She falls for guy who happens to be a crook, and has to watch as the consequences of his history and behavior catch up to him.

How close am I?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Dunno...

To me violence means predators.

This is a song I played to some of my pupils/students when I was a teacher. I was supposed to teach them English, but I always felt my "mission" was to make them citizens, and help them beware of drugs, predators, etc. :

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Harmonies de meufs (chick's harmonies, or sthmg)

A song by Félix Leclerc (Canadian French, québécois), Le Bal

Then, "Montagne Sainte-Genviève", one of the hills in Paris, and a famous piece of French gypsy jazz by Django Reinhardt.

And, ohhh, how I love "Montagne sainte geneviève", any version of it... 😍

Many other versions.
One that is very close to the original, by Romane. True French gypsy jazz :

Last edited:

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Some more fiddle tunes from my kid…

A nice Scottish number

…a little more energy in this one

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

A nice Scottish number

…a little more energy in this one
WOW Guy's got some talent. Can't wait to see his pro stuff some day.

Can you tell us more about this one? I know it's not German, but I'm sure it's a related language.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I know it's not German, but I'm sure it's a related language.

Right, that's yiddish, an eastern Jewish dialect spoken with variants from Bessarabia to Russia, Poland, Germany, etc.

Words like "Papirosn" (cigarettes) are still used, or understandable in some eastern european countries.

Translations :

There were even humorous, sarcastic songs in yiddish after WW2 making fun of the fundamentalists, like :

Long before, some Jews were making fun of the fundamentalists, like in this song :

I wish other cultures had a sense of humour to mock their own extremists... 😢

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

A nice Scottish number

Bravo !

I spent a schoolyear in dundee, Scotland, and at the weekend we would go to pubs where locals played traditional tunes, like in Arbroath, playing the fiddle, and singing songs. At that time (in the 70s), there were not cops making you blow in a breathalizer on the way back home ! :D

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My oldest's 15th birthday yesterday. I asked her what she wanted for dinner, and she said hamburgers, so went to The Owl Cigar Store. This one place has been in continuous operation in the same place downtown for around 100 years now. Originally as a tobacconist and saloon, now just a local standard for those cheap crappy burgers that just seem to always hit the spot.
While waiting with my 7 year old for them to fry up a dozen cheeseburgers this old classic came on, and now I'm in my kitchen listening to all the old NY Italian crooners from the American 50s.

*And none of my kids want to dance with me 😭😭😭

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
this old classic came on, and now I'm in my kitchen listening to all the old NY Italian crooners from the American 50s.

Hey! That's sweet ! :D

It's actually from a French (not Italian) hit, "la mer", a real "corny jig" that I love. It dates back to the early 1940s :

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
... but if "la mer" is probably the besty-known song of his around the world, one of my favourite is "Douce France".
We and our kids wouldsing it in the car when going on holidays, like "Nationale 7", and others, and other tunes too :

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've come back around to Romanian pop music again, and rediscovered Mihail Sandu.
This is probably his single greatest hit, and I'm sure you can tell why.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've recently discovered a couple obscure voices that I've just fallen in love with.
Technically, they're awful, but something about both these young ladies' styles just hits the mark for me.

Top Bottom