concave cutters keep getting damaged!

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have so far ruined two pair of concave cutters. The first pair I bent the jaws apart trying to cut an (apparently too large) branch. I attempted to bend it back and it broke off. The second pair I kept noticing that it wouldn't make a clean cut unless I used the very back of the jaws. Upon closer inspection, this one too is slightly bent so the tip of the jaws have a slight gap. Am I just abusing my cutters, or am I buying cheap tools? I believe the last pair were the "intermediate" grade from Joshua Roth.

Is there a rule of thumb for how large a branch should be cut with a given size of cutters?
Can you all make a recommendation for a good pair that won't bend?

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I could have written the above post. Exact same story here. Mine were cheeeeeeeep,..but still. So I used my dremel to grind them down and hammered the tip back straight. Fine now,..but I will invest in a good set.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have so far ruined two pair of concave cutters. The first pair I bent the jaws apart trying to cut an (apparently too large) branch. I attempted to bend it back and it broke off. The second pair I kept noticing that it wouldn't make a clean cut unless I used the very back of the jaws. Upon closer inspection, this one too is slightly bent so the tip of the jaws have a slight gap. Am I just abusing my cutters, or am I buying cheap tools? I believe the last pair were the "intermediate" grade from Joshua Roth.

Is there a rule of thumb for how large a branch should be cut with a given size of cutters?
Can you all make a recommendation for a good pair that won't bend?
Sounds like crappy tools to me...

I have not heard great things about Joshua Roth tools honestly.. Mediocre I guess is the description I have been given. If you want a good brand of tools that won't run you into triple digits for ONE TOOL, check out yoshiaki. (I think I spelled that right). I bought a pair of their shears for like $20 in October, was told they were great by the guys at the Bonsai learning center... And they are the best I have owned... I do NOT have the money to pay $200, $300, or $500+ for a pair of Masakuni bonsai shears... So maybe there are better ones out there if you have unlimited funds... But for the price, I highly recommend Yoshiaki. Now... Regardless the brand... If you go trying to cut something too large with a tool not intended to cut something that big, you will probably bend it, break it or injure yourself... So, get some good hand held bypas pruners, and cut with those first on a large branch, then come back and use the conclaves to sort of whittle it down to a more manageable piece if needed. Or, again, drop hundreds and buy a full set of all sizes of Masakuni available. Maybe they make a super sized concave cutter able to hack through anything!

Reactions: TGR

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fiskars have lifetime warranties.
I'm bout to ship mine back for new ones this year.
I always use them first. ! And in t h e dirt.

I bought Kaneshins, and was surprised at the recommended branch size, I have exceeded it with success !

Sorce

Reactions: rps

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I could have written the above post. Exact same story here. Mine were cheeeeeeeep,..but still. So I used my dremel to grind them down and hammered the tip back straight. Fine now,..but I will invest in a good set.

I tried to hammer the tip back straight, and I do that kind of thing for a living, but the jaw just broke clean off.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For a big branch start with this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014C6QX8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then nibble away with your knob cutters a bit at a time.

- Scott
You know, I have a nice folding saw, but I'm reluctant to use it unless there are no other branches nearby. Several times I've slipped and cut into the bark on the trunk or another branch. Although my saw blade is 7" and the one on Amazon is 5", that might be a little more manageable.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sounds like crappy tools to me...

I have not heard great things about Joshua Roth tools honestly.. Mediocre I guess is the description I have been given. If you want a good brand of tools that won't run you into triple digits for ONE TOOL, check out yoshiaki. (I think I spelled that right). I bought a pair of their shears for like $20 in October, was told they were great by the guys at the Bonsai learning center... And they are the best I have owned... I do NOT have the money to pay $200, $300, or $500+ for a pair of Masakuni bonsai shears... So maybe there are better ones out there if you have unlimited funds... But for the price, I highly recommend Yoshiaki. Now... Regardless the brand... If you go trying to cut something too large with a tool not intended to cut something that big, you will probably bend it, break it or injure yourself... So, get some good hand held bypas pruners, and cut with those first on a large branch, then come back and use the conclaves to sort of whittle it down to a more manageable piece if needed. Or, again, drop hundreds and buy a full set of all sizes of Masakuni available. Maybe they make a super sized concave cutter able to hack through anything!

Unfortuately Yoshiaki tools are no so readily available here anymore. Yoshi had to close down US operations during the "economic downturn" but there are still some out there.They were all I sold. They can still be ordered but shipping from Japan really adds to the cost and time. Joshua Roth intermediate and professional tools are usually pretty good for the money. I doubt if they broke because of bad quality. They are warrantied for 3 years. You can find their contact info on Goggle
Joshua Roth tools are warranted to be of the highest quality materials and workmanship for a period of three years from date of purchase.

If you are dissatisfied with the performance of your JRL Bonsai tool for any reason, return it us, along with a copy of your original sales slip, for a free replacement or refund, as you prefer.

Before returning any product, please contact us to obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. We cannot be responsible for items returned without our authorization.

Reactions: rps

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
+1!
Love Kaneshin!
I just visted the Kaneshin website, and it is very thorough! Explains what size branch can safely be cut with a given length blade, and has close up photos of each detail of the tool with text descriptions. There is also a coded photo of all the branch cutters to show the relative sizes, and with the blade length and handle length. I will most likely buy my next tool from them.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortuately Yoshiaki tools are no so readily available here anymore. Yoshi had to close down US operations during the "economic downturn" but there are still some out there.They were all I sold. They can still be ordered but shipping from Japan really adds to the cost and time. Joshua Roth intermediate and professional tools are usually pretty good for the money. I doubt if they broke because of bad quality. They are warrantied for 3 years. You can find their contact info on Goggle
Joshua Roth tools are warranted to be of the highest quality materials and workmanship for a period of three years from date of purchase.

If you are dissatisfied with the performance of your JRL Bonsai tool for any reason, return it us, along with a copy of your original sales slip, for a free replacement or refund, as you prefer.

Before returning any product, please contact us to obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. We cannot be responsible for items returned without our authorization.
Bob,
Unfortunately I can't remember where I purchased the concave cutters, and can't find any receipt or email related to the purchase. I wish I could return them!

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Folks,

concave pruners are for twigs.

Buy this book and save yourself a bundle on pricey tools and tool damage.

http://www.amazon.com/INTRODUCTORY-...id=1427377130&sr=1-6&keywords=masakuni+bonsai

Cutting twigs, means Bonsai concave pruners cost $ 11.00 on Amazon, and they last forever.
Good Day
Anthony
I have a copy of the book on order. Thanks for the recommendation.
One question though: How do you get a flush cut when removing a larger branch if you're only using concave cutters on twigs?

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd just like to add, that of all the bonsai tools, a concave pruner is the most important to get from a high quality manufacturer. I used a cheap one for years and was never happy with it. A loose rivet or mis-aligned cutters means that the cut will smash rather than slice. I finally forked over the cash for a Masakuni and I couldn't be happier. Buy a quality concave cutter and use it just for the right size branches (no roots! use a cheap one for that), don't drop it on the concrete floor and do light sharpening when needed. It should last a very long time.

And, anything over about 3/4" I use a pair of folding saws - a tiny one for tight places and a big one for larger materials.

I also think that people get over-zealous about using them on deadwood work. Don't use a good set of pruners for doing brute-force work. It's a cutter, not a plier.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd just like to add, that of all the bonsai tools, a concave pruner is the most important to get from a high quality manufacturer. I used a cheap one for years and was never happy with it. A loose rivet or mis-aligned cutters means that the cut will smash rather than slice. I finally forked over the cash for a Masakuni and I couldn't be happier. Buy a quality concave cutter and use it just for the right size branches (no roots! use a cheap one for that), don't drop it on the concrete floor and do light sharpening when needed. It should last a very long time.

And, anything over about 3/4" I use a pair of folding saws - a tiny one for tight places and a big one for larger materials.

I also think that people get over-zealous about using them on deadwood work. Don't use a good set of pruners for doing brute-force work. It's a cutter, not a plier.
It looks like the same tool from Masakuni is about $94 vs $54 from Kaneshin; Is it worth the extra 40?

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you work the steel red hot? Given my experience last time I'm reluctant to attempt reshaping them again.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It looks like the same tool from Masakuni is about $94 vs $54 from Kaneshin; Is it worth the extra 40?
Aa I have read Masakuni tools have some sort of mysticism of the old methods of making tools... and have a huge brand with lots of tradition. I bought Kaneshin (and don't have masakuni) and the tools are top notch!

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I cannot speak to the quality of Masakuni tools as I do not own any, however they are legendary for superior quality.

Most of my tools are Kaneshin and the quality is top notch. I would highly recommend them.

You can probably search this forum and read many threads discussing the merits of and opinions of the tools from these vendors.

Good luck.

Top Bottom