Collecting landscape bald cypress....?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think with the amount of roots I got (and there were a lot of small fine roots close to the trunk) it will pull thru just fine......As long as it doesn't put out too much new growth before spring....If it does I will build a small removable makeshift greenhouse against the shed and figure out a way to add some heat as needed.

I wish it had more tapper but it is what it is and I like it. Depending on how well it grows I may repot it next summer...If I do I'll pour a nice large concrete pot for it.

Brian

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I would wait at least two growing seasons to repot that guy, It was collected out of season and I would let it establish itself before repotting again.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I think with the amount of roots I got (and there were a lot of small fine roots close to the trunk) it will pull thru just fine......As long as it doesn't put out too much new growth before spring....If it does I will build a small removable makeshift greenhouse against the shed and figure out a way to add some heat as needed.

I wish it had more tapper but it is what it is and I like it. Depending on how well it grows I may repot it next summer...If I do I'll pour a nice large concrete pot for it.

Brian
Did you saw it out of the ground or dig it?

One thing you you might consider next time you collect one, is cutting the root ball flat across the bottom....I typically use a sawzall for this but a good pruning saw will work as well.

Here is my logic...if it is going to have to eventually fit into a bonsai pot, it is best to go ahead and prune roots to fit at the time of collection. Otherwise, after a couple of growing seasons you will have to do major root pruning again just to get it in a pot....thus setting the tree back again...after it has already been weakened once. To me it makes more sense in all respects to do it once!

If it were mine I wouldn't even consider repotting it next season...way too soon. Besides the fact that the roots won't be ready, I think in general we tend to rush trees into bonsai containers...in my experience trees develop much faster in growing containers...big trees like BC can be an exception because of the larger containers needed.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Giga....I will wait to repot it, thank you for the advise.

John.....I'm not sure if you saw the pics I posted of the dig...? They are on page 2 of this thread.... Short answer to your question is I did both digging and cutting. I first dug around the trunk to find the flare before basically taking a chainsaw and cutting a 24 dia. slice into the ground about 12 to 15 inches deep. The soil was nice and sandy and didn't have too many rocks in it.....I then dug a channel around so I could cut the tap roots. I hooked up a come-a-long to the hitch of my truck and started pulling the tree over so I could keep cutting it across the bottom....Before I got it all cut the teeth on my chain were shot, it was a wore out chain to start with. I grabbed the wrong spare chain which was too big so I was left to hand cut the rest. I got most of it cut then decided to just pull the tree out of the ground with the truck.

When I got it home I did flat cut it across the bottom but I didn't do a very good job at getting it square.....It sat crooked in the pot so I added dirt and a couple of small pieces of granite to get it to sit straight before wiring it in. I could have fixed the cut but I was wore out and I was afraid to take too much off considering the time of year.....I shouldn't have to do much root work to get it in a pot about 4" shorter than the training pot it's in now.

I know this is no masterpiece but I still think it will be cool as a yard bonsai planted in a large concrete pot sitting on an old stump of some kind, like I have my large collected juniper on now.....I still have to get it in it's concrete pot I made but I decided to wait till spring....But that is a whole nother post.

Brian

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will most likely be just fine as these grow like a weed. When its ready for a nice Bonsai pot perhaps you could trade the house and property for one ... :rolleyes:

ed

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nah....I got the science of making large concrete pots whipped.....I'll just need help because it will probably weigh 200+ pounds. I figure for around 15-20 bucks I can have a nice pot. Below is thread I started on the last large pot I made....Got about $5 in this one.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?16390-Large-concrete-pot-design

Brian

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Giga....I will wait to repot it, thank you for the advise.

John.....I'm not sure if you saw the pics I posted of the dig...? They are on page 2 of this thread.... Short answer to your question is I did both digging and cutting. I first dug around the trunk to find the flare before basically taking a chainsaw and cutting a 24 dia. slice into the ground about 12 to 15 inches deep. The soil was nice and sandy and didn't have too many rocks in it.....I then dug a channel around so I could cut the tap roots. I hooked up a come-a-long to the hitch of my truck and started pulling the tree over so I could keep cutting it across the bottom....Before I got it all cut the teeth on my chain were shot, it was a wore out chain to start with. I grabbed the wrong spare chain which was too big so I was left to hand cut the rest. I got most of it cut then decided to just pull the tree out of the ground with the truck.

When I got it home I did flat cut it across the bottom but I didn't do a very good job at getting it square.....It sat crooked in the pot so I added dirt and a couple of small pieces of granite to get it to sit straight before wiring it in. I could have fixed the cut but I was wore out and I was afraid to take too much off considering the time of year.....I shouldn't have to do much root work to get it in a pot about 4" shorter than the training pot it's in now.

I know this is no masterpiece but I still think it will be cool as a yard bonsai planted in a large concrete pot sitting on an old stump of some kind, like I have my large collected juniper on now.....I still have to get it in it's concrete pot I made but I decided to wait till spring....But that is a whole nother post.

Brian

I see your pics but it sure doesn't look like the bottom has been cut flat in any of them...if the two pics where you can see the bottom, after you got it home, show the flat cut...I think you could have cut much more. I am not criticizing, just trying to help you out.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
You are a brave soul putting a running chainsaw into the ground. I push the boundaries with tools and still wouldn't be comfortable doing that.

It's a nice tree. There some taper there as it looks like the basal flare was buried. The top could be a killer carving project.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
John....I didn't get a good pic after I had flat cut the bottom....The pic posted of the bottom was just how I got it home.....Keep in mind the root ball is close to 20 inches across....I was worried about taking too much of the root ball off.....I will remember that I could have taken more if I ever get the chance to dig another one. I would never take any advise as criticism....I got thick skin and need all the straight up advice I can get, thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Jester....I heated my previous home for over 10 years with wood that I mostly cut out of brush piles from road building/construction sites that were more dangerous than this...That said I do not recommend it. A hand saw is much safer as long as it doesn't give you a heart attack. I need to get me a saws-all.

Brian

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get a Milwaukee!

The rest suck IMO.

Sorce

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm cheap...I was thinking a $19.99 harbor freight special....But their warranty sucks....Only 90 days....I'll start looking on CL.

Brian

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm cheap...I was thinking a $19.99 harbor freight special....But their warranty sucks....Only 90 days....I'll start looking on CL.

Brian

Brain, I use the HF $30.00 special just for my trees and repotting. For $30.00 I don't worry about the warranty, when it breaks they have another. I have used mine for over 2 years now with no problems.

Terry

Last edited:

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Terry...Do you know what amp yours is....? HF has about 3 or 4 different models ranging from a 6 amp up to a 9 amp. The 9 amp is $60 not on sale.

Brian

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Terry...Do you know what amp yours is....? HF has about 3 or 4 different models ranging from a 6 amp up to a 9 amp. The 9 amp is $60 not on sale.

Brian

If I recall I paid $30.00 for mine. The saw is at a different location so I can't check it. Harbor Freight tools will not compare to the name brand pieces but for limited use I have had good experience with the different ones I have and when I am spending 10% to 20% of the cost of a Milwaukee I am very pleased.

Terry

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:cool: I think you did a fine job of it...I really can't wait to watch you develop this tree. I think it has a believable slight flare making it a mammoth bonsai when said and done. Wishing you success...fingers crossed. Keep us updated of it's progress. Well worth the elbow grease. ;)

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I finally got the makeshift greenhouse finished last weekend....So far it hasn't popped any new growth but I still have my fingers crossed that it will by springtime. Here are a few pics, I didn't get one of the finished product.

bc-greenhouse%2B003.jpg

bc-greenhouse%2B010.jpg

Here is my helper.....
bc-greenhouse%2B004.jpg

Brian

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work Brian. Your helper looks very busy. FYI, I remember mine not starting to bud until late spring.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love it

Love the set up. Looks like a niche in a old church. Good Luck.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The panels are removable....I won't even use them unless it puts out new growth too early.

Brian

Top Bottom