Collected Winged Elm Progression

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wanted to put a few more progressions on to bonsai nut. I’ll start with this collected winged elm. I acquired this tree from another club members collection and I believe it was collected somewhere in East TN.

Here we are on receipt. The previous owner had just gotten a major upgrade in his career, but the unfortunate consequence was some neglect toward the trees.

March ‘22
IMG_2805.jpeg

I went ahead and got it out of its broken pot.

IMG_2806.jpeg

Afterwards it’s been not much more than babying the tree and fertilizing. I saw some dieback after repotting, but nothing too major. I actually don’t have any pictures of it leafing out last year. Here is one of it in December of ‘22
IMG_2807.jpeg

This spring in ‘23 it recovered and leafed out very nicely.

This pic is from April/May of ‘23
IMG_2327.jpeg

Finally, we have it as it pretty much looks today. I’m working on filling in the apex canopy and fine branching but I’ll be sticking with this overall naturalistic look to the tree for the foreseeable future.

IMG_2476.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think these trees are highly under-appreciated for bonsai. I fortunately have them growing in my landscape, and will be developing many of them. Small leaves that stay small on even the largest trees, and interesting flaky bark.

Top Bottom