Collected Winged bark elm .

Then you're not working them. big leaves aren't a permanent thing. Constant pruning and other techniques will produce smaller leaves. Cedar elms have the smallest leaves of any native elm in North America.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ulcr

You’re right, we aren’t working them yet. Looking forward to it, and thanks for the link. Didn’t mean to hijack this thread.

I am going to be harsh here, but you can yell at me later :) I am going to post this as if I was the owner of this tree and I was talking to myself :)

I think this is an unpromising piece of material in it's current state. I think the one positive thing it has going for it is girth. The nebari is really problematic - particularly since there was a big surface root you had to chop and the best you can hope for is a huge scar on the side of the nebari.

So my advice is to start over. Let all that new growth run free. Then the moment it hardens I would airlayer right above your current surface roots. Get good roots and a nice flare at the base, and consider reducing the trunk a couple more inches in the spring - but instead of an angled cut go with a flat cut and hollow out the interior so it looks like a volcano. Then seal it with cut paste and not pruner's sealant.

If everything works well, you will get strong roots on the edge of that cut and be on your way to a killer broom style tree :)

I thought I might show you the progress of what I have done with this unpromising material .
177831F0-AC4D-481A-9B9F-629755EF94C9.jpegB24E9DF8-27C3-4A54-BA0F-7952AAF199F3.jpeg774E7621-E294-4526-A452-4BE6ED88C859.jpeg04BDC78D-9B72-4E8F-A900-82C1A2D1E89C.jpegDACF1B84-FFF0-4100-941F-1F2FBBC8BCA6.jpeg5A6CC6D8-6211-4D1D-B65D-D079DD74FEBE.jpeg87CDAD3B-4F64-4A98-8628-30C6B08B79DB.jpeg

Fucking pimped it bro!

Didn't see that coming!

I'm going to change my name to include a B..and Lane...
Then I'll be awesome at carving too!
@BobbyLane

@SU2 ? No!
Eff you 2!

(Gettysburg Address)

Sorce

If I could give it about 5 more likes I would!!! Killer tree!
Thanks!!
From the beginning and still now I could see the finished product in my mind .
I have had people in the beginning call the tree firewood and I should start over .
Some people on other forms said I should never have even collected it .
But nothing ventured nothing gained .
I’m glad y’all are liking it .

Very nicely done.
Now go attack that jungle out back. Is that kudzu that's overgrown those trees?
CW

Very nicely done.
Now go attack that jungle out back. Is that kudzu that's overgrown those trees?
CW
The back of my house is surrounded by a swamp “wetlands “
That’s not kudzu ,
It’s a swap vine of some sort that grows wild and is native to the South

Riding Fast in the Bonsai Lane and Future Vision Goggles double as Protection against flying Bullshit!

This is a tree I am very familiar with.
They are everywhere!

18,502nd post.

Each one before this for the sole purpose of what happened here.

Truly great because every other path would have also created a great tree.

Except for the "don't use it" path.

Better One...
Or two...

Two...or 3..

Better 1, or 2..here? Ok..

How bout this better 1, or 2...

The longer this goes on while we wait...
The better Tuned them Goggles get.

Your prescription is $$$$!

Sorce

Thanks!!
From the beginning and still now I could see the finished product in my mind .
I have had people in the beginning call the tree firewood and I should start over .
Some people on other forms said I should never have even collected it .
But nothing ventured nothing gained .
I’m glad y’all are liking it .
Yea I read the thread from the beginning. That’s what makes the tree even more special. Not a piece of firewood now!

Very nice image. For others that have carved deciduous material this way, how long does this last? Will the tree be a rotted out mess in 5-10 years? A pro I know that spent time in Japan said that the one reason the Japanese heal all cuts on deciduous material is that the tree will rot itself out, and this is why you won't see trees like this five or ten years after this kind of work.

Just curious...

Very nice image. For others that have carved deciduous material this way, how long does this last? Will the tree be a rotted out mess in 5-10 years? A pro I know that spent time in Japan said that the one reason the Japanese heal all cuts on deciduous material is that the tree will rot itself out, and this is why you won't see trees like this five or ten years after this kind of work.

Just curious...
If you take care of the wood every year ,
Treating it and Using a protective sealant it will last a very long time

Back
Top Bottom