Collected Western White Pine

Pennyloafer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would like some recommendations as to how to proceed to the next stage with this Western White Pine. I live in Whistler BC, it was collected about 5 years ago from under the power line. It had the same basic branch structure but was much skinnier. I put some wire on it to add some bend to the trunk. It has grown a lot I probably should have made the bend much deeper.

I would like to repot it, as I read that you can repot Lodgepole Pine anytime, not sure if that applies to this White Pine too or if I should wait till next spring.

I was thinking of cutting off the top, taking all but one branch off.

Is it possible to get this type of tree to bud on old wood?

Any input appreciated

IMG_8554.1.jpgIMG_8555.1.jpgIMG_8556.1.jpg

I would like to repot it, as I read that you can repot Lodgepole Pine anytime, not sure if that applies to this White Pine too or if I should wait till next spring.
Repotting would be best left till spring for optimum results.
I was thinking of cutting off the top, taking all but one branch off.
I would not do that. The amount of work this pine requires will need a lot of health and vigour to complete. Removing all branches except one at this stage will set that back considerably.
Is it possible to get this type of tree to bud on old wood?
White pine in general is very reasonable with respect to back budding. Western White Pine is not used in Bonsai very much so the track record is limited. If by back budding on old wood you are referring to the lower trunk portion, that is less likely.

If you asked the question, what should be the plan for this tree going forward. My response would be along theses lines.

What do you like about this particular tree? What do you see as its strengths that attracted you to want to work with this tree?

What do you see as characteristics you would like to improve or change with this tree?

It is a very young tree, they grow very fast and can be manipulated easily when younger so creating a Bonsai out of a Western White Pine is quite doable.

From my perspective I would want to improve the following.
1. planting angle
2. nebari and container for development.
3. Trunk movement. Bend is one directional creating an " S" shape.
4. Taper , trunk is relatively uniform for quite a distance.
5. Absence of lower branching, this could be improved with grafting!

The first three items on the list are the ones that require a lot of health and vigour to change and in my opinion should come first. How they turn out would have a direct bearing on the potential quality of this tree for further development.

Welcome to BNUT, good to see another Canuck on the site!

Thankyou for your input.

When this began I was focused on whether I could successfully collect any trees (and keep them alive), the candidate for a bonsai was less of factor and I thought I it might be possible to get lower branching somehow down the road. Also I didn't put a lot of time into scouting for trees. Now this tree is 5 years down the road and I don't have a ton of time left on this earth myself....

I like that its a White Pine :), otherwise I can see that its not the best for the reasons you point out, the taper and lack of lower branches.

I could work on the bend this fall and try to get better movement into it.

I have a couple of other ones that maybe I should focus on...

Janice

Thankyou for your input.

When this began I was focused on whether I could successfully collect any trees (and keep them alive), the candidate for a bonsai was less of factor and I thought I it might be possible to get lower branching somehow down the road. Also I didn't put a lot of time into scouting for trees. Now this tree is 5 years down the road and I don't have a ton of time left on this earth myself....

I like that its a White Pine :), otherwise I can see that its not the best for the reasons you point out, the taper and lack of lower branches.

I could work on the bend this fall and try to get better movement into it.

I have a couple of other ones that maybe I should focus on...

Janice
Been There! Done That. Not to discourage the learning that occurs with our initial steps. And I must confess that I have a habit of encouraging enthusiasts to select the best material they can find before investing years in development. Here is an example of White Pine material that is a better candidate for developing in a shorter period of time with more potential. I selected this tree along with a few others for White Pine Workshops. It is a Japanese White Pine "Aoi" cultivar grafted on medium growth White Pine rootstock. The tree is approximately 15 years old with good root ball, lower branching, and plenty of foliage to work with. The cost in the Nursery was $170. 00 CAD. In five to seven years with careful development it has the potential to be a very nice Bonsai.
Suitable for our climate and nice characteristics for Bonsai. You are very fortunate to have many excellent Nursery's and Bonsai clubs in the Vancouver area to assist in selecting material. We are also very fortunate with great choices here on Vancouver Island.
IMG_3863.jpeg

Now it will still need the development but the outcome should be better and the time frame considerably shorter.

Wow Frank!

Nice trees. 170 CAD is pretty darn reasonable for all the work that was put into each tree.

Cheers
DSD sends

Wow Frank!

Nice trees. 170 CAD is pretty darn reasonable for all the work that was put into each tree.

Cheers
DSD sends
Exactly. When one considers the skill required to execute those low rootstock grafts, nurture the rootball and scions for two or three years, transfer to the field for grow out, dig up and transfer to nursery pots for sale. I would estimate that over two hundreds grafts were completed and trees grown for landscape purposes. I sorted through them twice. Once when the first batch of 100 was transferred to the retail area in 2022 and this spring when the remainder were transferred over in 2024. The nursery where the stock is grown out is located elsewhere. The first time I found eleven grafts that I thought were suitable for Bonsai development. This spring I only found six in the entire batch. In my experience that is a very high ratio and a testament to the skill of the grafter. I rarely find a grafted tree that someone took the time to carefully match the type of rootstock for bark and growth habit as well as aesthetic results in the graft itself. The lady who performed the grafting was very accomplished in her trade.
It is worthwhile to get to know local nursery owners. Some are very careful in their selection and propagation of material. If you can find one who pays attention to detail it can lead to surprising acquisitions. Vancouver Island nurseries have been working with varieties of White Pine to use for reforestation purposes. many other nurseries have focussed on growing native species for replacement and mitigation purposes. This is a great source of seedling, saplings for forest plantings or group plantings in Bonsai. Just some extra ideas for enthusiasts to check out.

Those are really lovely trees. How small can you get them down to? I live in a townhouse so I don't have much space...

Those are really lovely trees. How small can you get them down to? I live in a townhouse so I don't have much space...
The species is excellent for medium to large Bonsai. I would say finished size best between 18 to 30 inches overall. If you were looking for a smaller White Pine it would be best to work with a dwarf cultivar that naturally has smaller needles and more compact structure. Shorter internodes as well. There is a nursery called North West Propagators that supplies Garden Centres in BC. They often have some good choices in smaller varieties. These can usually be purchased in 1 gallon containers for less than $25 . You can ask the local nursery to order them in for the spring. One I would recommend is Pinus Parviflora Are Kawa.
Now keep in mind these are much younger and smaller plants that grow slower. Very suitable for younger enthusiasts or someone who simply enjoys the journey and does not mind if the destination is far away! here iare pictures of what to look for. You do need to check grafts carefully before purchasing. However this propagator is another one that is highly skilled and the results are usually acceptable.IMG_3865.jpegIMG_3866.jpeg
Also if you ever visit the Island my nursery has a variety of material that might suit. I do not ship plants but many of my clients take advantage of the family and friends bonsai express. Whenever they have family and or friends visiting they arrange for them to be brought back to them. Just PM me if I can be of help.

I may have bought some plants from you years ago.
I can't remember the exact location now, but somewhere on the outskirts of Courtenay, big board fence is about all I remember. nice nursery.

I may have bought some plants from you years ago.
I can't remember the exact location now, but somewhere on the outskirts of Courtenay, big board fence is about all I remember. nice nursery.
That is the OutBack Nursery, great location. I have a very small Bonsai Nursery located in Qualicum Beach now. Used to be on an acreage south of Parksville but with advancing age I have downsized.

I have another white pine that is a better candidate, I think. But it might have a disease.
My thought is to remove the central branch this winter, to keep it from developing a bulge, and to keep it small.

Does it look like white pine blister to you.?
is there anything I can treat it with?

IMG_8565.1.jpgIMG_8562.1.jpg

I have another white pine that is a better candidate, I think. But it might have a disease.
My thought is to remove the central branch this winter, to keep it from developing a bulge, and to keep it small.

Does it look like white pine blister to you.?
is there anything I can treat it with?

View attachment 562708View attachment 562709
It does look like the beginnings of white Pine Blister rust! I am not aware of any treatment other than pruning away the affected portion and preventing its spread. A key reason why Western White Pine is not used for Bonsai very often. better to use varieties that are resistant to the disease.

Back
Top Bottom