Collected or from seed?

somnium

Sapling
Reaction score
I don't know, I beg to differ and so I stand apart. I prefer a bonsai that has been grown from seed to a bonsai that is collected and hacked back. I guess I want my tree to be beautiful all of it's life as opposed to having a thick trunk that has been hacked back severely. I know it takes time, and a lot more time, to grow from seed but I think it also carries a certain reward. Not to mention that when you grow from seed you get to plan and control every bit of the growth right from day one.

somnium

Sapling
Reaction score
Usually, if visible and not hidden under the canopy, I can see where the tree has been hacked back yes. I wouldnt say you can always tell, years after the cut, though. But my argument is that it takes so long to develop after hacking back that you might as well start from seed.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All I can say is, there's a whole hell of a lot of charter and beauty out in the mountains and desert here then any human could ever replicate in their life. Im Sure it's the same most places.

Aaron

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Usually, if visible and not hidden under the canopy, I can see where the tree has been hacked back yes. I wouldnt say you can always tell, years after the cut, though. But my argument is that it takes so long to develop after hacking back that you might as well start from seed.
And you state this because you've done this or at least seen sufficient trees grown entirely from seed?

somnium

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes I agree natural bonsai in the mountains are awesome indeed. I would never limit the ability to mimic that though, that would be insult to the very art of bonsai itself.

I have grown many bonsai from seed yes. But I went to jail and had to give my collection away and so I am beginning again from scratch. Of course I have seen thousands upon thousands of bonsai pictures, both collected and from seed. I like the ability to grow a natural taper from seed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm just going to say - go ahead but don't be disappointed when you spend the first 20 years achieving nothing.

I've only met one person in 40 years of doing bonsai who made good bonsai from seed - and I've met a LOT of professionals and amateurs. It's incredibly hard and requires decades of experience before you start.

somnium

Sapling
Reaction score
Well I think that is just silly. I have grown many trees from seed, and have grown almost anything i can find. I don't foresee any trouble. But hey to each their own.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't tell me I'm silly, show me your trees and I will decide for myself if you know what you are talking about.

Whilst you are not "foreseeing any trouble", what you consider to be a reasonable bonsai is probably entirely different to what I consider to be a bonsai. But hey to each their own.

somnium

Sapling
Reaction score
Best of luck. I prefer not to argue which is why i said to each their own. Later.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@somnium , the best thing is trying both ways. Then you might conclude, yes I can make bonsai from a seed and from collected material in let's say 6 years... But from the seed you'll have a sweet (slim) shohin developed and from collected one depending what you dug and how you train it.
Collected material brings some great natural features and gives you some time advantage. Chops? From the seed you'll grow and chop and grow and chop, but much longer time to achieve the similar thickness. ... And won't avoid chopping. But sure, you can do it based on a plan to have smaller wounds.

somnium

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes, thank you. I am "Yes you can" kind of man, and not a "no you cant and its hard" kind of man. I agree you will grow and chop back and grow and chop back. I just dislike seeing tree that have a massive "chopping back". I find it ugly and unnatural.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, thank you. I am "Yes you can" kind of man, and not a "no you cant and its hard" kind of man. I agree you will grow and chop back and grow and chop back. I just dislike seeing tree that have a massive "chopping back". I find it ugly and unnatural.
I agree. But how else can you create taper?

Super-mini looks like fun and starting from seed would be just the thing.

somnium

Sapling
Reaction score
Yeah sure you need to let your tree over grow and control the growth throughout the tree for a good taper. But I plan to minimize that growth and so to not create massive cutbacks. I plan to have smaller and more controlled chops.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Of course I have seen thousands upon thousands of bonsai pictures, both collected and from seed.

Just out of curiosity, how many high quality Bonsai have you seen in person. I say this because Bonsai is a three dimensional art. Even the best pictures fail capture the feeling of a great tree.

somnium

Sapling
Reaction score
The wise man knows he knows nothing at all, it leaves infinite wisdom upon which to grow from.

somnium

Sapling
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how many high quality Bonsai have you seen in person. I say this because Bonsai is a three dimensional art. Even the best pictures fail capture the feeling of a great tree.

I agree, and would like to add, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder for what is reality but a mere perception. There was a saint who once spoke that beauty is hidden everywhere for the eyes to discover. This knowledge opens the doors to experiencing this marvel.

Top Bottom