Coarse and Chunky Perlite

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just got a 4 cuft bag a couple weeks ago of grade 3 from the local hydro store.

I was very close on grabbing the last bag of grade 4, it was ~.25-.5in chunks. That may be similar to yours.

16142046581422099361960.jpg

Unfortunately I still have probably close to 2 cuft of the regular dusty perlite left...

I'm trying out coco coir this year for all of my repots instead of peat moss. This is what I grabbed to mix with the grade 3 perlite.

1614204897566-2059885702.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just got a 4 cuft bag a couple weeks ago of grade 3 from the local hydro store.

I was very close on grabbing the last bag of grade 4, it was ~.25-.5in chunks. That may be similar to yours.

View attachment 356497

Unfortunately I still have probably close to 2 cuft of the regular dusty perlite left...

I'm trying out coco coir this year for all of my repots instead of peat moss. This is what I grabbed to mix with the grade 3 perlite.

View attachment 356498
Nice! My coworker balled out on some foxfarm for this season, Ive heard good things and he knows his stuff. Aerates compost teas and everything.

I heard Kellogg is quality in bags as well

zero

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@cbroad is it Lucky Roots where you picked up the Perlite? Ever find Pumice around RVA?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
is it Lucky Roots where you picked up the Perlite?

Yeah, right on Sheppard. There's another hydro shop in Scott's Addition but I've never been there.

Lucky Roots is where I also got the coco/perlite soil. The guy that is usually there is VERY knowledgeable about growing... you know what... But don't ask him about anything bonsai because he doesn't have a clue.

If you ask him about bonsai, he'll probably tell you about a weird guy growing ficus in a DWC system, and that would be me.

He tried telling me it probably wouldn't work, but it definitely does. I have a thread about it on here: Ficus experiment; the thing grew into a monster in no time.

As for pumice, I've had no luck anywhere locally. Not since Southern States stopped selling Stall Dry or Dry Stall (which ever one is pumice, not calcined clay). The only other avenue is hooking up with someone in the Richmond Bonsai Society. Their members usually chip in for a whole pallet but they don't usually sell to anyone not in the club. Let me know if you find it anywhere else around here.

Last edited:

zero

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, right on Sheppard. There's another hydro shop in Scott's Addition but I've never been there.

Lucky Roots is where I also got the coco/perlite soil. The guy that is usually there is VERY knowledgeable about growing... you know what... But don't ask him about anything bonsai because he doesn't have a clue.

If you ask him about bonsai, he'll probably tell you about a weird guy growing ficus in a DWC system, and that would be me.

He tried telling me it probably wouldn't work, but it definitely does. I have a thread about it on here: Ficus experiment; the thing grew into a monster in no time.

As for pumice, I've had no luck anywhere locally. Not since Southern States stopped selling Stall Dry or Dry Stall (which ever one is pumice, not calcined clay). The only other avenue is hooking up with someone in the Richmond Bonsai Society. Their members usually chip in for a whole pallet but they don't usually sell to anyone not in the club. Let me know if you find it anywhere else around here.
Yeah I definitely will! I’ve got my Coir from Sneeds or online. Sneeds sells bricks for $3 but I use that for other stuff not Bonsai yet. I’ll heck out your threads about the Ficus that sounds interesting! I saw the Perlite that Thomas Sones has from the club but it seemed like really large- hoping to find a smaller particle size closer to between 1/4” and 3/16”.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is the bag from Lucky Roots, it was about $50:
1617744560782-996831649.jpg

Size for reference:
1617744621787-1162502204.jpg

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I would go straight perlite vs adding coir, peat, or DE. Assuming you are growing stuff out and not refined bonsai of course. I grow a lot of cuttings in flats in straight perlite. works better to me and gives you much better roots too. I use it for ground growing too. I consider perlite and pumice to be interchangeable and the best amendments. pumice is preferrable for weight though. Once in a grow box or container I go with the 1:1:1 akadama/pumice/lava mix but thinking of experimenting killing the lava and doing 2 parts pumice. Peat and Coir just are a waste to me. Tried DE and just couldn't love it. compacted too much. Plants were ok with it but the roots just never looked good like an APL mix. Reminded me of Turface.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
straight perlite
I just can't keep up with the watering unfortunately :( Using a peat mix at least buys me two days between waterings.

But I have noticed since bumping up my grow out mix to at least 50% perlite, that there is definitely an increase in growth above and below.

zero

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Perlite and coir is the best mix I have ever used in any of my raised grow beds.
Raised grow beds for regular garden plants like edibles? I assume that’s what you’re referring to

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Raised grow beds for regular garden plants like edibles? I assume that’s what you’re referring to
No, grow beds for cuttings, seedlings and pre bonsai. I am using about 20 - 25% perlite and the rest is coir.
My veggie beds actually have topsoil amended with compost and earthworms.
Their are pictures in the archives I believe.

zero

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m working on a soil blend for pre bonsai and young trees, yamadori and such soon to come. What I have right now is sifted Haydite, Bark, and 8822. It looks really strong but I’m going to use it for some things to see how well it works before I commit to anything substantial. I considered using coir but I’m assuming between the bark and 8822 it’ll be well hydrated

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
coarse and chunky perlite has become a go to soil for many of my trees

Perplexody

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perlite and coir is the best mix I have ever used in any of my raised grow beds.
Coir and perlite alone can make a mix for anything from cuttings to cactus

I add pine bark and a touch of slow release fertilizer and use it for houseplants/ everything else

It's all about the ratio of "ingredients"

Top Bottom