Is this mix too coarse and was it stupid to repot while treating it for white mildew?

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just repotted my sageretia. It was potted in organic soil from the store so I figured it was time because it started to get some issues (not the tree but the soil) but I’m currently treating it for mildew as well. Been removing leaves with spots and spraying it with a mix of soap, water and bicarbonate.

Is the soil mix too coarse? It’s pumice and akadama. Kept indoors from now until summer comes along under a grow light from Mars Hydro. IMG_2908.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Coarse question. What is the pot size?
The large substrate on the top….1.25cm? Other size?
I don’t think it’s to coarse.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Likely not too coarse. Coarse media tend to become drier faster for a number of reasons, (capillary action etc). Both grain size and Pot shape and size also affect the height of water table… lower in this case.

In short it sounds like a move for the better if one wants a drier enivronment. Considering it’s recovering from powdery mildew, that’s likely a good idea.

Given its inside, it might be best to monitor frequently until it’s dry/wet qualities are well known.

cheers
DSD sends

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I figured I’d ask here as well. I think this is mildew, I’ve cut off quite a lot of leaves. It’s the grey spot in the middle of the leaf, was found on a lot of leaves and most of them more heavily effected than this.

How should I treat it and is it mildew? I’ve been spraying bicarbonate and soap water mix on it but maybe a soap and alcohol mix is better? Everything I find locally basically says “usually occurs outdoors, hard to treat, just accept its date”. I live in Europe which affects which pesticides can be found here, new laws since 2021 removed all strong chemical pesticides.
IMG_2917.jpeg

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I figured I’d ask here as well. I think this is mildew, I’ve cut off quite a lot of leaves. It’s the grey spot in the middle of the leaf, was found on a lot of leaves and most of them more heavily effected than this.

How should I treat it and is it mildew? I’ve been spraying bicarbonate and soap water mix on it but maybe a soap and alcohol mix is better? Everything I find locally basically says “usually occurs outdoors, hard to treat, just accept its date”. I live in Europe which affects which pesticides can be found here, new laws since 2021 removed all strong chemical pesticides.
View attachment 512024
image.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are right powdery mildew is ever present in fall on some trees and especially some bushes.

Don’t see alot of powdery mildew at the time. One would know right off as it’s whitish and it spreads very quickly

Bicarbonate is effective as is 2 TBSP H2O2 in 2 L water, Also copper works well too.

Cheers
DSD sends

Avoid watering the leaves

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are right powdery mildew is ever present in fall on some trees and especially some bushes.

Don’t see alot of powdery mildew at the time. One would know right off as it’s whitish and it spreads very quickly

Bicarbonate is effective as is 2 TBSP H2O2 in 2 L water, Also copper works well too.

Cheers
DSD sends

Avoid watering the leaves
But I spray this bicarbonate mix on the leaves right…?

Also is it ok to keep my portulacaria afra and Fukien tea close to this tree? They all need my artificial light right now :)

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Of course…. Spray any of the three mentioned so the leaves are dry before sundown. .

Likely no issue keeping the trees together given room for air circulation. Guessing you use a fan to help improve the circulation?

Cheers
DSD sends

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Of course…. Spray any of the three mentioned so the leaves are dry before sundown. .

Likely no issue keeping the trees together given room for air circulation. Guessing you use a fan to help improve the circulation?

Cheers
DSD sends
Just recently put them inside. I have no fan atm but have all the parts needed to make a modular fan setup, I have a neat idea with pc fans.

Is there really a need for it though? I have movement in the air around them but not as much as actual “wind”.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is there really a need for it though? I have movement in the air around them but not as much as actual “wind”.

I would say so… unless the area they reside in is drafty. Yet there is no photo of the set up or scale of the trees..

We use what used to be called ‘muffin’ fans. They come in various sizes. Here’s one we use on each level of the orchid racks.

AC Infinity AXIAL 8038, Quiet Muffin Fan, 120V AC 80mm x 38mm Low Speed, UL-Certified for DIY Cooling Ventilation Exhaust Projects

Cheers
DSD sends

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just recently put them inside. I have no fan atm but have all the parts needed to make a modular fan setup, I have a neat idea with pc fans.

The pc fan idea…..A good DIY plan is always fun. But…be sure of the total cost before starting down the DIY direction. Costs add up quickly. There are several not-to-costly fans that might work. Tabletop or clip-on. I have a portable compact tabletop fan (Amazon buy) that has been very dependable. Nice weighted base so it do not easily tip over. USB charged battery. Speed control three constant speeds as well as 2 or 4 hour timer off at any of the speeds. Check out some of the USB lithium fans….or compact electric versions.

I do think a pc fan could work well though. A nice mild wind source for sure. Just takes some creativity. Keep it away from the moisture though. You can do this!

Top Bottom