Coach me on this Dwarf Firethorn?

Franklikestrees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Exploring a nursery on my way to work. Impulse bought this “low dense pyracantha” which I think is a dwarf firethorn. I’m new to keeping small trees in pots and I’d like to know what steps, if any, you would take toward growing this into something that can be called a bonsai. I’m content with keeping it in this pot if that seems like an ok idea. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.IMG_9667.jpegIMG_9668.jpegIMG_9670.jpegIMG_9671.jpegIMG_9667.jpegIMG_9668.jpegIMG_9670.jpegIMG_9671.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First, put your general location and/or climate zone in your profile. It will help you get better advice.

You've got a nice starter plant with lots of potential. Job 1 is to keep it alive. #2 is the artistic part.

Depending on where you live it's probably a bit late to repot this spring. It's a bit hard to tell from the photos but it looks like it's budding out. But it can be cut back hard. Pyracantha respond quite well to hard pruning. So your first job is to find a front, decided on a trunk line, and a final expected height for the tree.

A couple of articles to help you out:

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’m not sure if Pyracantha air layer well, but if they do, I’d air layer here and have two nice trees!
IMG_9671.jpeg
If they don’t, or if just don’t want to air layer, I’d still chop it there

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m pretty sure they can be layered. Nice impulse buy.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Exploring a nursery on my way to work. Impulse bought this “low dense pyracantha” which I think is a dwarf firethorn. I’m new to keeping small trees in pots and I’d like to know what steps, if any, you would take toward growing this into something that can be called a bonsai. I’m content with keeping it in this pot if that seems like an ok idea. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thank you.View attachment 539097View attachment 539098View attachment 539099View attachment 539100View attachment 539097View attachment 539098View attachment 539099View attachment 539100
Great start with that one. Love that trunk!
New here. I have nothing smart to say; this is just an appreciation post for the shape of that trunk. How cool!
Hello and welcome to the nut house! There’s quite a few charlotte folk in here. Uncc area here.

Lcogginz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great start with that one. Love that trunk!

Hello and welcome to the nut house! There’s quite a few charlotte folk in here. Uncc area here.
Nice area! I'm actually just SW of town in Lake Wylie, but Charlotte's an easier landmark to share. Saw there was a Charlotte Bonsai society and will try and make a meeting sometime.

Franklikestrees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This community is awesome. Thank you so much for the input. I’m in Saint Augustine, FL, trying to put that on my profile (I’m a bit technologically slow) I ended up cutting it back a little and thinning it out and leaving it like that. Though I trust that y’all’s advice is sound, I got nervous about doing any big chops.

Franklikestrees

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Too much? Not enough? In the wrong places? If I were to chop it lower, what would be the best way to help it recover?IMG_9699.jpegIMG_9700.jpegIMG_9701.jpegIMG_9698.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is all about your vision for it. If you're in doubt, let it back bud and see where you get more options. Personally, I'd chop lower, maybe like this to start:

pyra.jpeg

Top Bottom