Chopped up Chojubai

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bought a Chojubai from a fella yesterday.
image.jpeg It seemed over grown too me, long branches. So I chopped it to pieces. I started cutting and couldn't stop.
It ended up in a 15 year old Sara Raynor porcelain pot.
image.jpeg What do you think, my fello Nuts?
Did I hack it enough?

WoW you did great. Didn't imagine that when I looked at the first pic. Great feeling when you see the tree in the tree, and it works....;)
This works for me.

WoW you did great. Didn't imagine that when I looked at the first pic. Great feeling when you see the tree in the tree, and it works....;)
This works for me.
Thanks Fredman!
It is great fun to create something desirable out of something not so desirable, IMO.

design/styling is such a personal thing, that it's hard to suggest anything different as it just would reflect one's own likes only. I do feel that the length of your design should be shortened back to where the first branch crosses over into the foreground. However, I'm struggling with the big footed pot as it doesn't seem to mesh properly with the tree's overall lighter style. I could see it if the trunk was about 3X's as thick....color of the pot will look nice with the blooms. Might suggest you remove the moss off the nebari so that could be seen and appreciated. most of my chojubai are alive with color with the exception of my orange's. The reds and white's are quite full. Last spring at a local nursery, I ran across something that looked like chojubai's with a slightly different leaf but small similar flowers labeled "fuji". I picked up a couple and they're a bit behind my chojubai this year. Visited the same nursery chain today looking for more and found none available. :(

good luck with your starts...

design/styling is such a personal thing, that it's hard to suggest anything different as it just would reflect one's own likes only. I do feel that the length of your design should be shortened back to where the first branch crosses over into the foreground. However, I'm struggling with the big footed pot as it doesn't seem to mesh properly with the tree's overall lighter style. I could see it if the trunk was about 3X's as thick....color of the pot will look nice with the blooms. Might suggest you remove the moss off the nebari so that could be seen and appreciated. most of my chojubai are alive with color with the exception of my orange's. The reds and white's are quite full. Last spring at a local nursery, I ran across something that looked like chojubai's with a slightly different leaf but small similar flowers labeled "fuji". I picked up a couple and they're a bit behind my chojubai this year. Visited the same nursery chain today looking for more and found none available. :(

good luck with your starts...
I agree, I didn't think this through much at all, just grabbed a close pot and stuck it in. I like to look a trees for months or so beside a pot choice to find a good design, but sometimes I just throw then together in one day and adjust them in the pot a little better at a later date, or even switch pots because it's feet are too big. All I was shooting for at this time was a direction in the design and getting it out of that even worse pot. I am glad you brought the feet up, it has inspired me to make a pot!

This one is next! Choppy chop chop!
This one is a Peach colored one, in a Jack Bacus pot.
image.jpeg image.jpeg After I get it chopped down to that fat little nugget hanging off the side, I would like to put it in this little pot with Peachy colored design.image.jpeg

Just finished this mess. Untangled roots for 1/2 an hour. Then actually rectangled some :)image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom