CHOJUBAI

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@badatusernames Yes cut off the flowers before they expire on the tree and well before they make fruit. This is so that you give priority to vegetative growth. This is specially important if your tree needs thickening and branch development.

They grow best in deeper pots. This is true for all fruiting bonsai. The trick is to find something deep enough but still being aesthetically pleasing and in proportion with the tree.
I have found all of this to be true with Chojubai as well. It seems every flower will set fruit if you let it. In the summer, I’ll allow a few to stay on for a while. Also be vigilant for aphids, which really go after these plants.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'll let others provide advice, but that's very pretty

I'm curious how aggressively people water these as well - I've read any time the surface feels dry, you should water it thoroughly. That feels like a recipe for potential over-watering, so I was curious if folks here would agree with that.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like Bill's articles - I have one of his magazines that feature chojubia. I think "speciosa" is a different species of quince than chojubai (though I'm sure much of the article still applies).

'Chojubai' most likely is Chaenomeles japonica. Flowering quinces have been in cultivation a long time, since before the system of botanical taxonomy was developed. Therefore there has been a lot of hybridization, such that there is no clear, bright line distinction between Chaenomeles japonica and Chaenomeles speciosa. Many that get labelled one species or the other are actually hybrids. Generally there is not difference in the horticulture between the two species. From personal experience 'Chojubai' is not quite as winter hardy as likely speciosa dominated hybrids like 'Toyo Nishiki', but that may be unique to 'Chojubai' rather than a trait of Chaenomeles japonica in general. Chaenomeles japonica supposedly has leaves 3 to 5 cm long, and similarly small fruit 3 -4 cm diameter. Chaenomeles speciosa is supposed to have leaves 4 to 7 cm long and fruit 5 -6 cm diameter. As you can see, there is overlap in leaf size, and fruit size can vary wildly depending on the health of the plant being observed. So in general, it is not that important that one know which species of Chaenomeles you have, key is keeping track of cultivar names.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
where’s his site? the one i found via google seems to just be a landing page

i’m trying to expand where i can search for materials!

If Don does have them, I'd still look elsewhere. I bought a few from him back then (which were not inexpensive), and a couple were dead within a few days of arrival. First he tried to blame me but it was clear he sold me plants that were already on their way out. Eventually he relented and offered me an unspecified "credit" if I bought more trees from him. All that meant was that he would probably sell me a tree at the price he typically bargained to, given that he overpriced the trees on his website. So he wouldn't really be giving me a credit at all.

I had bought trees from him prior and was a happy customer, but that sketchy experience really soured me on him and I will never spend money at his shop again.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I have found all of this to be true with Chojubai as well. It seems every flower will set fruit if you let it. In the summer, I’ll allow a few to stay on for a while. Also be vigilant for aphids, which really go after these plants.
I don’t have a chojubai, just 2 regular chaenameles, and I’ve been batting red spider mites all season. Next season I’ll be using a systemic from the get go.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Mites. If they're microscopic they're likely bad. I find the good ones on hot brick surfaces all the time. I wonder if you can set up a trap for them to release them on your trees. I'd do that before spraying!

Sorce

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Mites. If they're microscopic they're likely bad. I find the good ones on hot brick surfaces all the time. I wonder if you can set up a trap for them to release them on your trees. I'd do that before spraying!

Sorce
Yes they’re the bad type. Flowering quince, elms and celtis sinesis and africana have all been ravaged this season ☹️
next season it’s a systemic from the start!

Top Bottom