Challenging cotoneaster

Gollum169

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I bought this cotoneaster last fall on deep clearance. It is kind of a mess but does anyone have any recommendations on direction for style or pruning? There are a lot of straight branches and it is rather 2 dimensional. I'm thinking it might require drastic pruning but I'm willing to try. It is starting to push out some green so I figure now is the time to repot out of the nursery soil and do some pruning.
Just trying to learn!
Thanks!
Cotoneaster.jpg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Do you know, what variety it is?

Having worked with a handful of these, I would do decide Whether I want to grow it out to thicken, or chop it low.

The growth is very angular on these, so you get lots of straight sections. I’ve also found branches -whether high or low- thicken up to similar size pretty quickly. Therefore you have to do some routine hard prunes to achieve taper. These are tough and vigorous.

Some examples:
This one has given me lots of trouble but is slowly getting somewhere. I slowly reduced the trunk, but wished I had cut much lower 4 yrs ago.
IMG_0499.jpeg

This one has some movement, but will need to be severely chopped down. Notice the mono sized taperless branching. This one is in the ground to get big IMG_0497.jpegIMG_0498.jpeg
So I guess as always, it comes down to whether or not you’re happy with the trunk.

For a small bonsai you chop low now.

Gollum169

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Thanks for the pics! It is an "Autumn Inferno."
It has been in my garage cold frame this winter. I guess I should research some other pics of cotoneaster and see if anything fits!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Part of the art is achieving scale, so you will have to reduce it to bring in the proportions, or let it grow out as stated above.
Looks like promising stock!

Gollum169

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Maybe this spring I will just repot and trim everything back a bit and let it grow this year.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea, when you repot try and pick a front.

Gollum169

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Can I repot and make a couple big cuts at the same time? While I was repotting tonight I noticed that there are a lot of branches coming out of the top of the main trunk in close proximity. I know I won't use all of them and I'm afraid it will develop a huge bulge there if I don't get rid of a couple of them

Top Bottom