Checking in with another challenging Larch

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected this one spring 16' from a bog. I really like odd and old and I think this one is both. It was one that I keep staring at and wondering what to do with. I sort of wrote it off until today because of how straight that it is. I tried tilting it and it sort of took on a different feel that I think I like. It has some interest with the natural deadwood, it appears quite old. Usually I can wire Larch that I collected after just 1 year of recovery. This one seems older and judging by the amount of growth that it put on in the growing season I will need to wait for another year to start wiring I think. Any thoughts on design for this?IMG_7213.JPG IMG_7213-ang.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting.

I like it straight up.

Like it was growing fine....grand...and then...eh...something happened....

I would leave the left low branch In any manner....out of place, fine....because it is the only thing down there that survived the something that happened.

And style that top as a continuation of the "grand" that once was.

I'm gonna start calling you...

Matty Shovel Hands!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matty Shovel Hands....

Your material is great....

I think it would help you to think like this....

Where other material can get a story told in a paragraph, Or a page....

Yours actually need a table of contents.

You must organize that table of contents, including "blanks" for every viewer to fill in on their own, in a manner that will convey the entire story before attention is lost.

Stuff like that wound is going to hold interest. Use that to your advantage.
Almost all your stuff has a similar feature.

That's what you get for digging such gnarly material....

Your dig your bane!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce, I think I 90% follow you :). I hope I can pull it off.

Another interesting thing about this tree is that it, like other bog Larch, had "bog layered" itself. I think it is the top of a taller tree that naturally layered. When I collected it I think I got almost all the living roots. The deadpart under the tree that I cut off was about 8'' thick.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would tilt it to the right and make your top go back to the left. I wouldn't worry about it being straight as that wound provides plenty of visual interest. Nice compact tree. Too often they are straight as an arrow for 2 feet before anything interesting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would tilt it to the right and make your top go back to the left
I think a right lean could work too and it may compact the over all image a bit more. I do like how a left lean highlights the deadwood more, kind of looking like something damaged the tree on the right side which caused the lean and growth all on the left. Also maybe a bit more dramatic left. If it was tilted right the big wound would be on the underside of the tree.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you consider using the lowest branch on the left to build all of your branching off? And using deadwood techniques on the top?

I would probably do the "green helmet" thing with that lowest branch, myself. Some tilt to the left, not as much as your vert. Then try to continue the deadwood on the viewers right down some what, trying to use a creative eye to removing live wood/bark to create an illusion of movement.

Just brainstorming cuz I can't "virt"....:(:mad::(:confused::(:mad::mad::mad::rolleyes: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Uro is a style I really like but don't have because I find it hard to get them to look convincing. This is a great tree for that and whatever design you settle on, I would make sure the uro is the central feature.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you consider using the lowest branch on the left to build all of your branching off? And using deadwood techniques on the top?

I would probably do the "green helmet" thing with that lowest branch, myself. Some tilt to the left, not as much as your vert. Then try to continue the deadwood on the viewers right down some what, trying to use a creative eye to removing live wood/bark to create an illusion of movement.

Just brainstorming cuz I can't "virt"....:(:mad::(:confused::(:mad::mad::mad::rolleyes: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
that was actually my initial idea, still a possibility but I like @Gene Deci 's idea of using that uro as a central feature. When searching around I never really see natural deadwood on Larch and this one is pretty interesting. Maybe one day I will peal back some more bark and use a sandblaster on the area.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's awesome material, I love it. This could really be made to capture the feeling of a true ancient, decrepit, old growth alpine larch!

I played with it a bit, removed the top and hollowed to match the other hollow. There might be a better use for the upper stuff but it's an idea. Might even be able to connect the two hollows someday, that would be cool.
I would keep it perfectly upright myself, let that lower left mirror the cool dead branch above it with upright new growth. Maybe even go vertical with the upper leader growth for a bit, maybe not but for sure for sure with the lower left for my tastes. Stole an image online showing that kind of growth trait that mountain larch have. The hollow and dead branch above on left are both great features to emphasize I'd say. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tried to take it further, can only do so much with finger on phone.

Got the left branch close enough to what I'm thinking. The top has me stumped a bit. The top that I drew looks silly I have to admit. I'd still be looking at something similar for a possibility, may or may not work, maybe something better if the other portion was still there or maybe best to keep it a small struggling flag. Still I would love to see a bonsai larch something along these lines. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also like the tree straight up. And maybe it's unimaginative of me but I wouldn't chop it, I like the delicate top of it. Only 2 cents, but I'd grow the tree out (up) a few more inches and keep what you already have

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just sat down and tried again, kind of excited about this tree even though it's not mine! Would this be possible with the material Matt?
Thanks for the virts wireme, its always appreciated when people take interest in trees I have collected! I wonder how many people looked at this tree and just thought WTH and moved on....haha.

I really like your design, maybe because it is such out of the box thinking. It would definitely be achievable and would be quite unusual. With out a doubt your design is a tree design and not a "bonsai" design. thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another thought is there isn't great taper in your design, the slant maybe helps taper?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the virts wireme, its always appreciated when people take interest in trees I have collected! I wonder how many people looked at this tree and just thought WTH and moved on....haha.

I really like your design, maybe because it is such out of the box thinking. It would definitely be achievable and would be quite unusual. With out a doubt your design is a tree design and not a "bonsai" design. thanks

Thanks, I had fun playing with the design. I guess it's out of the box a bit but I like it. I don't know about the lean and taper but I'm sure there is a good leaning design to be found there too. Your drawing is pretty nice, that would make for a good looking tree I think.

I notice that what I used as a virtual apex looks a bit weak for now in reality so be careful reducing to that if you do chose to shorten the top.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you consider using the lowest branch on the left to build all of your branching off? And using deadwood techniques on the top
Tried to see what this might look like. There is a back branch that you don't see in the initial photo that would help accomplish this. John Naka did say to make the smallest tree possible.IMG_7213-ang1.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had this in a terra cotta training pot and it froze and shattered over the winter so I had to slip pot it and I changed the angle a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_8903.JPG
    IMG_8903.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8904.JPG
    IMG_8904.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 57

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
that's a sweet one man, there's definitely a great tree there, just keep maintaining it and growing healthy and it will eventually come to you. great taper in the apex above the deadwood. maybe work that middle foliage as a "pad" of some sort... prune for ramification.. any signs of borers or anything? maybe lime sulphur the dead wood? id say just not to rush it, probably repot next year into an even larger, wider trainer and let grow and ramify and the style will show up in time.

Top Bottom