Cedrus libani seeds stratification

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello,

I've bought 30 cedrus seeds on eBay . Anybody have experience with them ? How long to stratify them in 4c?

Gilad

According to Dirr:
Under Cedrus libani:
As described under C. atlantica. the treatment described, thereunder, were performed with this species. This species is particularly susceptible to damping off diseases.
Under C. atlantica
The cedars have essentially no cold requirement and will germinate immediately upon sowing.
However, variable degrees of dormancy may be observed within a single lot of seeds. Controlled studies have demonstrated that seeds sown with treatment germinated erratically over several months; seed provided one month cold stratification germinated in 2 weeks and seed given 2 months cold germinated in 4 to 7 days. A short 2 week cold period has b een recommended to hasten and unify germination.

Please let us know what you did or are going to do and then the results.

Hello,

I've bought 30 cedrus seeds on eBay . Anybody have experience with them ? How long to stratify them in 4c?

Gilad

I've germinated libani, atlantica and deodora seeds before, cold stratify them until you see roots, plant those that have sprouted and the rest goes back in to stratify some more.

best regards
Herman

I've germinated libani, atlantica and deodora seeds before, cold stratify them until you see roots, plant those that have sprouted and the rest goes back in to stratify some more.

best regards
Herman

they germinate in the cold??!!! I thought the stratification is to overcome dormancy and sprouting commence once they're in the ground and temp are above 60 or so......

they germinate in the cold??!!! I thought the stratification is to overcome dormancy and sprouting commence once they're in the ground and temp are above 60 or so......

I bet the seeds didn't know they aren't supposed to... :) JJ

IDK but they do sprout in the fridge at 0-1 degrees Celsius, I've had pine seeds do that too :) It is probably because the seeds only need cold stratification and not hot stratification also to break down the inhibiting hormones. Once the cold stratification breaks down the inhibiting hormones the seeds start sprouting...

when cold stratifying you also need to check for seeds covered in fungus, remove those. I checked on my batches every 15 days then removed miffed seeds and plant sprouted ones if there is any. i also used a few drops of bleach in the water I used to keep the package moist. used folded paper towels inside zip-lock bags, had a spray bottle with the water bleach solution in to wet it with.

easy peasy

Best regards
Herman

Back
Top Bottom