Carpinus Caroliniana material

am not sure how deep this soil goes, but what’s on top I would not call garbage field dirt for this tree
0F370091-1178-4BF5-A9D2-CFFB5ABF53AF.jpeg

FWIW, when repotting (or initial collection) I usually bareroot Carolina hornbeam and replace with bonsai soil. Hornbeam can take that kind of thing. Removing all field soil AT COLLECTION is mostly necessary since that old soil is mostly mud and doesn't allow air exchange. By replacing all old soil with better draining bonsai soil, you're setting up better oxygen/gas exchange environment that encourages new root development.

the soil in your pic doesn't look like mud to me. Should be perfectly adequate for the tree at this point. Just make sure it drains through. If water is standing on the surface while you're watering, it could be a bit dense and caution is needed to ensure the tree isn't being kept too soggy.

FWIW, when repotting (or initial collection) I usually bareroot Carolina hornbeam and replace with bonsai soil. Hornbeam can take that kind of thing. Removing all field soil AT COLLECTION is mostly necessary since that old soil is mostly mud and doesn't allow air exchange. By replacing all old soil with better draining bonsai soil, you're setting up better oxygen/gas exchange environment that encourages new root development.

the soil in your pic doesn't look like mud to me. Should be perfectly adequate for the tree at this point. Just make sure it drains through. If water is standing on the surface while you're watering, it could be a bit dense and caution is needed to ensure the tree isn't being kept too soggy.
Yeah it's not mud, just more organic than your standard bonsai soil. But I actually prefer this type anyways. I got this tree from Bella Bonsai, and it was honestly the best online/shipping experience I've had so far next to Wigerts. Highly recommend them, if you want peace of mind with online Bonsai shopping.

UPDATE: The buds are swelling and beginning to extend about one month since receiving. I was a little nervous having a dug tree shipped to me, but so far everything is good.

Just a cool picture of this Hornbeam in its spring morning glory. First prune will be next year as it acclimates to California.

Attachments

• 957C4B37-287E-47C3-B9E0-D38DBCA9D53B.jpeg
    957C4B37-287E-47C3-B9E0-D38DBCA9D53B.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 6ED7ABC0-1025-42CD-BF6B-49844D50254A.jpeg
    6ED7ABC0-1025-42CD-BF6B-49844D50254A.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 112
Yeah it's not mud, just more organic than your standard bonsai soil. But I actually prefer this type anyways. I got this tree from Bella Bonsai, and it was honestly the best online/shipping experience I've had so far next to Wigerts. Highly recommend them, if you want peace of mind with online Bonsai shopping.

UPDATE: The buds are swelling and beginning to extend about one month since receiving. I was a little nervous having a dug tree shipped to me, but so far everything is good.
I wasn’t planning on it but I just stopped by Bella bonsai today for the first time (they are 20 minutes away from me) and met Larry and his wife. You couldent ask for nicer, more knowledgeable people! Their home is their nursery and you are free to wonder around and look at everything. Man do they have ALOT of material there. I ended up settling on a 2 year old Arakawa seedling and a el cheapo pot. They definitely will be my go to spot from now on. I have my eyes on some little hanoki cypresses for $30 and some assorted Chinese pots. Super cool place!

Attachments

• 69367D71-02F2-4F1D-8BEE-EEB8F5523273.jpeg
    69367D71-02F2-4F1D-8BEE-EEB8F5523273.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 195C3D96-EB82-4B7F-983A-8877F949A07B.jpeg
    195C3D96-EB82-4B7F-983A-8877F949A07B.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 79

So I’m having trouble with watering this tree. I thought I was underwatering it only once every 5-7 days. Digging my finger down about half way to see if it was not wet.

I got a water meter and checked the wetness of the soil a day after watering it, and it showed “wet” still. Also some of the leaves developed brown tips. The tree still looks 98% okay.

When I water the it drains right through and when I dug my finger all the way to the bottom it doesn’t feel dense, it’s loose like the top soil. But the top half seems to be drying out a lot quicker than the deep part of the pot.

Is lifting the tree out of the pot to check the state of the roots necessary here? Or will drilling more holes around the sides and the bottom of the pot help?

Attachments

• 4F2689EA-89FF-4200-9E08-7C1D3C92AEE7.jpeg
    4F2689EA-89FF-4200-9E08-7C1D3C92AEE7.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 67
  • 6F6C4E34-0D1F-4B02-B7CE-3A8213BA4FA8.jpeg
    6F6C4E34-0D1F-4B02-B7CE-3A8213BA4FA8.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 73E5E0D0-67DB-4ED8-8FF7-DE06D6037647.jpeg
    73E5E0D0-67DB-4ED8-8FF7-DE06D6037647.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 48
  • ADBD10C0-8AFE-496D-8784-BB4974681431.jpeg
    ADBD10C0-8AFE-496D-8784-BB4974681431.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
So I’m having trouble with watering this tree. I thought I was underwatering it only once every 5-7 days. Digging my finger down about half way to see if it was not wet.

I got a water meter and checked the wetness of the soil a day after watering it, and it showed “wet” still. Also some of the leaves developed brown tips. The tree still looks 98% okay.

When I water the it drains right through and when I dug my finger all the way to the bottom it doesn’t feel dense, it’s loose like the top soil. But the top half seems to be drying out a lot quicker than the deep part of the pot.

Is lifting the tree out of the pot to check the state of the roots necessary here? Or will drilling more holes around the sides and the bottom of the pot help?
Carpinus Caroliniana usually grow in lowlands and stream banks. I find it hard to overwater them. Mine get watered every other day and they are loving life.

Carpinus Caroliniana usually grow in lowlands and stream banks. I find it hard to overwater them. Mine get watered every other day and they are loving life.
I added some pictures. The tree looks mostly fine. But the leaves I posted pictures of look like there is a problem brewing

Been quite the journey with this one keeping it alive. I thought it was going to die, decided to do an emergency repot to remove all the gunk/clay it came in. Ended up seeing that the there was quite a bit of rotted roots stuck in clay.

I think its struggles came from a combination of being dug and potted in mostly clay, and massive climate change from North Carolina to California. This will be its second spring here. Not entirely out of the woods, but it looks pretty good here (third picture). Only thing I’m worried about is the leaves feel very thin. Not appearing to harden as quick as my other hornbeams

Attachments

• 2D80E1CF-3B85-4791-BD0A-32559A58CD19.jpeg
    2D80E1CF-3B85-4791-BD0A-32559A58CD19.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 894BF62E-C784-4D31-9D6F-5F49916D8866.jpeg
    894BF62E-C784-4D31-9D6F-5F49916D8866.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 3A2E9AEE-62B5-49DF-AAB1-765EA2CF8312.jpeg
    3A2E9AEE-62B5-49DF-AAB1-765EA2CF8312.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 97
Im assuming this tree is still in recovery because of how bad it was last year and didn’t fully go dormant over winter. Is it advisable to thin some of the foliage out to allow some light inside the tree? Or should I just expect to lose some of those inner branches for now until it has one more strong spring under its belt?

Maybe someone with more experience with Carpinus Caroliniana can comment on the trees health.

For now it’s being left alone in the shadiest spot on my deck and below the railings so it doesn’t deal with as much wind.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 34066768-AAD6-4EA6-9376-1F635AE847B4.jpeg
    34066768-AAD6-4EA6-9376-1F635AE847B4.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 78
  • 3D01E2C9-6447-4F96-BDB6-D4378D709DB5.jpeg
    3D01E2C9-6447-4F96-BDB6-D4378D709DB5.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 84
The tree looks healthy right now, but if it was in rough shape last year, it might not be a bad idea to leave it alone to build up its energy reserves.

On another note, if it’s not going fully dormant, then it’s probably too warm to grow it where you live.

The tree looks healthy right now, but if it was in rough shape last year, it might not be a bad idea to leave it alone to build up its energy reserves.

On another note, if it’s not going fully dormant, then it’s probably too warm to grow it where you live.
Yeah I’m not totally sure, most the leaves turned black and almost every branch experienced die back in late summer early fall last year. And then a leaf here or there was dark green with some brown on it that stayed through winter until it popped in spring. Thought it might be holding onto those leaves because it was sick. I have some other American Hornbeam that go fully dormant so hoping this one comes around or it was a product of it being dug/sick last year.

Yeah I’m not totally sure, most the leaves turned black and almost every branch experienced die back in late summer early fall last year. And then a leaf here or there was dark green with some brown on it that stayed through winter until it popped in spring. Thought it might be holding onto those leaves because it was sick. I have some other American Hornbeam that go fully dormant so hoping this one comes around or it was a product of it being dug/sick last year.

Sounds like it’s worth a try.

From near death to probably the strongest grower this year. Lost some branches I wish I still had… but it’s still alive. Taking up so much space letting it thrive.
Looks nice and healthy, good save!

From near death to probably the strongest grower this year. Lost some branches I wish I still had… but it’s still alive. Taking up so much space letting it thrive.

I had to trim one of mine back, just because I was running out of room for it, and it was affecting neighboring plants.

I had to trim one of mine back, just because I was running out of room for it, and it was affecting neighboring plants.
Yeah I really want to trim it but figure it's safer to just let it do its thing this year.

Getting some incredible leaf colors. Looks like this one will be able to survive in the Bay Area. All my hornbeams are experiencing leaf drop. :)

Thinking about doing some root work and pruning this year now that it’s had a year of unchecked growth.

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpeg
    IMG_2360.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 62
kinda dig the heavy branch that’s developing at the bottom. Plan on chopping the apex back to a lower branch as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpeg
    IMG_2478.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom