Can I repot now?

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone. I just bought a few pre bonsai trees and was wondering if it would be ok to repot into bonsai pots? I live in Northeast PA and the weather is still in the 70s and 80s here. I want to repot a dwarf cherry and two tiger bark ficus and one azelea. What do ya think? When I look it up one site says it's ok then there are two other that say no. Any idea? Thanks for your time.
-Jay

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As long as thy are growing vigorously you should be fine. I just repotted 5 tropicals last week, but then again I do have a greenhouse set up for winter so they never really slow down.

Aaron

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as thy are growing vigorously you should be fine. I just repotted 5 tropicals last week, but then again I do have a greenhouse set up for winter so they never really slow down.

Aaron
Ok cool. Thanks Aml. Ya they are still growing well. The cherry is pushing out flowers, the azelea is popping out some buds and the tiger bards are growing like weeds. I wish I had a green house. Our winters can get real cold here. But I'm still new to bonsai but I'm going to set up some grow lights and humidifier for the winter. Thanks again for your info. It's much appreciated.

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Aaron
Ok cool. Thanks Aml. Ya they are still growing well. The cherry is pushing out flowers, the azelea is popping out some buds and the tiger bards are growing like weeds. I wish I had a green house. Our winters can get real cold here. But I'm still new to bonsai but I'm going to set up some grow lights and humidifier for the winter. Thanks again for your info. It's much appreciated.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't know about the tropicals but it is much less risky to do the azalea in spring. Generally repotting is done during a period when the tree and roots will be growing. Personally I repot hardy trees in the spring and tropicals in the summer.

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know about the tropicals but it is much less risky to do the azalea in spring. Generally repotting is done during a period when the tree and roots will be growing. Personally I repot hardy trees in the spring and tropicals in the summer.
Great. Thanks Augustine. The azelea was the one tree I really wasn't sure about. My azelea is in a crude pot. When I got it a few months ago I only had a crappy pot but it was better than the nursery pot. I appreciate your input. I'll wait for spring to do the azelea.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In fact Brent Watson is a partisan of re-poting in the falls as tree's roots keep growing for awhile after leaves have felt already
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/fallpot.htm

However it might not be suitable to your USDA zone or types of trees.

Personally I'm not against re-poting my own trees if they were really healthy during the growing season and depending on the species but it's a case by case situation, not a rule.
Also I don't have any bonsai per se, only pre-bonsai in training pots for the moment.

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
H
In fact Brent Watson is a partisan of re-poting in the falls as tree's roots keep growing for awhile after leaves have felt already

Personally I'm not against re-poting my own trees if they were really healthy during the growing season and depending on the species but it's a case by case situation, not a rule.
Also I don't have any bonsai per se, only pre-bonsai in training pots for the moment.
Hey Alain, thanks for the reply. Ya your right, case by case thing. But my trees grew very well this season and still seems to be growing well. All the trees I'm talking about are tropicals except my azaela. Thanks also for the link. I'll check it out as soon as I'm done here. But from all the info I got this far, it is ok to repot the tropical if they are growing well. And to hang on till next spring for the azelea. Thanks again for the info!!

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Oh hey, one more question. How do I tell what zine I'm in. On Google there are different zones where I am so which on is correct? Is there a accurate zone map?

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
H

Hey Alain, thanks for the reply. Ya your right, case by case thing. But my trees grew very well this season and still seems to be growing well. All the trees I'm talking about are tropicals except my azaela. Thanks also for the link. I'll check it out as soon as I'm done here. But from all the info I got this far, it is ok to repot the tropical if they are growing well. And to hang on till next spring for the azelea. Thanks again for the info!!

Actually it's kind of ok to work on tropical basically all year long as they don't have a dormancy period so if they keep thrilling in their wintering setting why not do whatever you want to them?
For example I had a tiger bark retusa 2 years ago and it took very well everything I did to it during this winter, however it died last winter because the room it was in was too cold even if I didn't work on it at all this time.

I don't know dwarf cherry and I killed all the 3 azalea I had my hands on so I wouldn't trust me with them :) (point to notice: I also killed my ficus but I know why :) )

PS: for the zone I don't really know.
Il is zone 5a, sounds to me like PA is a little bit warmer than that but I don't know for sure, also it depends on possible local particularities (like altitude, presence of some water, lake, river or such and so on).
https://www.google.com/search?q=usa...=wQTkV6rpCezNjwSXhJjQBA#imgrc=KqQDRo0GF1uyvM:

This map sounds good to me...
I really never wonder to much as Il zone is: 'freezing my but out but not as bad as when I lived in Montreal or Newfoundland' zone definition :)

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey everyone. I just bought a few pre bonsai trees and was wondering if it would be ok to repot into bonsai pots? I live in Northeast PA and the weather is still in the 70s and 80s here. I want to repot a dwarf cherry and two tiger bark ficus and one azelea. What do ya think? When I look it up one site says it's ok then there are two other that say no. Any idea? Thanks for your time.
-Jay

If you are north of Philly I would only slip pot any and all of those with little trimming of the branches to clean them up - no root work or disturbance. They nights are going to go cold soon and the daylight hours have shortened enough right now that growing has slowed substantially. The tropicals must come inside, the Azalea will do fine against a north wall mulched in on the ground for the winter. Bring the Tropicals in when the nights are STEADY at 45F and they will do ok given proper winter indoor care.

Grimmy

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are north of Philly I would only slip pot any and all of those with little trimming of the branches to clean them up - no root work or disturbance. They nights are going to go cold soon and the daylight hours have shortened enough right now that growing has slowed substantially. The tropicals must come inside, the Azalea will do fine against a north wall mulched in on the ground for the winter. Bring the Tropicals in when the nights are STEADY at 45F and they will do ok given proper winter indoor care.

Grimmy
Hi Grim, thanks for the input. Yes I'm about a hour and half nirth west of Philadelphia. All my tropical I've been bringing in when the temp drops below 50. (At night) and then take them out for the day. I think I'm going to take your advice and repot in the spring. You said about my azaela... It is pretty small. Will it still be ok for the winter outside? And what did you mean in the ground with mulch ? I should plant it and then cover base with mulch ? It is roughly about 7 inches tall. What do ya think? Again, thanks for the input.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And what did you mean in the ground with mulch ?

Place the pot on top of a couple of pieces of wood or something to get the pot about two inches off the ground in the center. mulch in between the boards and all around the pot up to the brim - some cover the surface but I don't as it is easier to determine if it needs water during the winter. Do this against a north wall of the building if possible. If you are really concerned about wind you could do the same but place it in a deep plastic storage container will drain holes drilled in it. That gives it wind protection on four sides and allows snow to cover it and defrost.

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would not repot now. Evergreen garden works is in Northern California which has a MUCH different climate than Northern PA. No offense to Alain, but you need to be careful of where the person giving the advice is located. What works at a given time in Northern California, Florida (insert any other location) may not apply to your location.

Grim is at least in the same state, and gives good advice.
I am also not that far away.

Azalea - best repotting time is early spring
Dwarf cherry - not sure because I havent dealt with these but I would assume its the same as any deciduous - early spring
Ficus - July/August is best for us northerners

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Place the pot on top of a couple of pieces of wood or something to get the pot about two inches off the ground in the center. mulch in between the boards and all around the pot up to the brim - some cover the surface but I don't as it is easier to determine if it needs water during the winter. Do this against a north wall of the building if possible. If you are really concerned about wind you could do the same but place it in a deep plastic storage container will drain holes drilled in it. That gives it wind protection on four sides and allows snow to cover it and defrost.

Grimmy
Ok great. I have a really great spot to put it. On the one side of my house there is a strip of ground and it's right against my house and the wood fence on the other side so the wind will be almost nonexistent. It's not totally facing north. It's north\north west. I really appreciate your input. I really like the azelea I have and don't want to loose it. Planting like this can apply to all trees right? (Except tropicals)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Planting like this can apply to all trees right?

Those are common methods for a lot of plants that require cold dormancy. If you have a lot of them a cold frame might become necessary being as large as you need or want. There is of course other ways and opinions. I used to do that but now just the youngest plants get any protection like that. At my house if it is established for a few seasons I just put taller stuff on a lower shelf and shorter on a higher shelf close to the fence as they were grown. I feel it gives me an easier shot at winter care here as many times in my area we don't see much of winter and a few things must be watered a few times. As @Paradox mentioned it really depends on your specific actual climate. Although my area is rated 6 or 6b for instance I can and have raised warmer climate plants. One thing that comes into play is micro climates to further complicate things :eek: A good example is our indoor plant room which has 5 distinct micro climates:confused: In time one can with close observation understand their property - hang in there and feel free to ask any questions...

Grimmy

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are common methods for a lot of plants that require cold dormancy. If you have a lot of them a cold frame might become necessary being as large as you need or want. There is of course other ways and opinions. I used to do that but now just the youngest plants get any protection like that. At my house if it is established for a few seasons I just put taller stuff on a lower shelf and shorter on a higher shelf close to the fence as they were grown. I feel it gives me an easier shot at winter care here as many times in my area we don't see much of winter and a few things must be watered a few times. As @Paradox mentioned it really depends on your specific actual climate. Although my area is rated 6 or 6b for instance I can and have raised warmer climate plants. One thing that comes into play is micro climates to further complicate things :eek: A good example is our indoor plant room which has 5 distinct micro climates:confused: In time one can with close observation understand their property - hang in there and feel free to ask any questions...

Grimmy
Awe ok. I'll Google a cold frame. I don't have very many. I just got into the art. I have 8 tropicals and 5 others. I was looking at the map and I think im in zone 6. Not sure where your at but here it can get pretty cold. Last year wasn't too bad. And they think this year will be above average. But it can get very cold. -5 for a week at times. But being new to bonsai I'm so nervous about winter. This is my first winter and don't want to screw it up lol. I have a real nice part of ground next to my house that blocks the icy winds. I really appreciate your help. And that you for inviting me to ask you questions. I'm in a bonsai club around here but they really don't seem to have a interest in teaching new folks. So my learning comes from you guys and Google and books Lol. That and I bought a couple courses from Bjorn on bonsai empire. But I will definitely be in touch with some questions. It is very much appreciated.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
and 5 others.

Those would all probably fit in a 38 quart storage container from WalMart, just drill drainage, place them in, as described with mulch... It will act as a mini cold frame you can store in the Summer ;) In the past I have used up to 15 of those for small younger stuff that did better with wind protection. I will be only using 1 this year but I feel it is a hella lot better then building something and far less expensive...

Grimmy

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score

Grimmy

Dumb question when it comes to wintering, but if I do the whole northside of the building, mulch up to the top of the pot thing, it's okay (arguably good) to have snow cover the pot? I've heard a few places that it's desirable to have the snow cover the trees for the winter since it helps to insulate them from the cold,dry wind, which is really the tree killer of winter.

Is it bad to have snow up on the branches?

Trees I will winter:
Trident Maple
Mugo Pine
(possibly) Chinese Elm.

I was thinking of keeping the elm inside under grow T5 grow lights. The trident is the one I'm worried about since the branches are smaller. Mugo I can probably just leave in the nursery pot on the porch and it'll survive. :) (I'm going to mulch it in, anyway.)

Is this right for my trees listed?

I'm also a 6ber, but western PA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom