Can Anyone plz tell me which type of tree is this ????

mouzi4us

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everybody
would u plz help me id this tree ????
1.jpg2.jpg

Four question marks? I've been that stumped too!

Why the bother? What's it's deal?

Welcome!

Sorce

It looks to me more like Juniperus Communis or one of its cultivars.

ummmm , I was thinking if i can use it as a bonsai or not , I Dont know how to propagate , Have any idea ???

mouzi4us,

I think Deodar Cedar, or some other kind of Cedar.

If you fill out your profile a little more, especially where you live, it will help us with the ID.

Regards,
Martin

Welcome mouzi. I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind.
Will this be your first bonsai?
Have you ever dug a tree up out of the ground?
If yes is the answer to either of these questions we should go another route to get you into bonsai.
It sounds easy but taking a tree out of the ground and getting it on the way to bonsaidom isnt the best route for a beginner.
May I make a suggestion?
In the spring go to a nursery near your location and buy a 3 gallon shrub or tree to start your journey into this great and very rewarding hobby.
Maybe a juniper. Or a boxwood. Both easy to use and relatively cheap.
Or get a tree from a reputable bonsai dealer or nursery. There may be one where you live or there are some good ones online.
Until you do procure something to work on,Read,read,read all you can find on bonsai. Be it the Internet or from books. Check out old posts on this forum. Learn all you can.
Once you do get a tree ask us about your next move. We can help a lot and lead you in the proper direction.
Good luck. And remember this is a fun hobby.

Looking at the closer picture of the needles it reminds me of the Italian Stone Pine that is so popular around Christmas time.

ed

Prop of Cedrus deodara

ummmm , I was thinking if i can use it as a bonsai or not , I Dont know how to propagate , Have any idea ???

According to Dirr in, 'The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation":
This species can be rooted sucessfully from October to December using last
season's growth, stripping basal needles, wound, well-drained medium, bottom heat, polytent.
Rooting will range from 60 to 90%. Low levels of hormone were not beneficial
but treatment over 1% IBA did improve rooting. Most often rooted in cold frames
with bottom heat.
This is the one they say "cool heads and warm bottoms" for rooting about.
Hope that helps.

According to Dirr in, 'The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation":
This species can be rooted sucessfully from October to December using last
season's growth, stripping basal needles, wound, well-drained medium, bottom heat, polytent.
Rooting will range from 60 to 90%. Low levels of hormone were not beneficial
but treatment over 1% IBA did improve rooting. Most often rooted in cold frames
with bottom heat.
This is the one they say "cool heads and warm bottoms" for rooting about.
Hope that helps.

Hmm... seems like waiting until spring and buying a nursery plant would be quite a bit easier. I would recommend that over trying to propagate something, especially for someone not very experienced

Hmm... seems like waiting until spring and buying a nursery plant would be quite a bit easier. I would recommend that over trying to propagate something, especially for someone not very experienced

A voice of reason!

Welcome mouzi. I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind.
Will this be your first bonsai?
Have you ever dug a tree up out of the ground?
If yes is the answer to either of these questions we should go another route to get you into bonsai.
It sounds easy but taking a tree out of the ground and getting it on the way to bonsaidom isnt the best route for a beginner.
May I make a suggestion?
In the spring go to a nursery near your location and buy a 3 gallon shrub or tree to start your journey into this great and very rewarding hobby.
Maybe a juniper. Or a boxwood. Both easy to use and relatively cheap.
Or get a tree from a reputable bonsai dealer or nursery. There may be one where you live or there are some good ones online.
Until you do procure something to work on,Read,read,read all you can find on bonsai. Be it the Internet or from books. Check out old posts on this forum. Learn all you can.
Once you do get a tree ask us about your next move. We can help a lot and lead you in the proper direction.
Good luck. And remember this is a fun hobby.
Tnx buddy , I'm Really thankful for ur GUIDANCE , as u said this is my first bonsai project , i ve bought 2 bonsais before this , but making bonsai is different from having , i Really want to make bonsai myself .
as i read about bonsai in the books,internet ,etc i have 2 plan whcih i think its easier
1-Take cuttings of ficus and fuse them
2- we also have so many populus trees in our city which can be easily Air layered
3- and the third plan is doing what u said

i ll be thankfull if u help in this way

Have fun my friend

Tnx buddy , I'm Really thankful for ur GUIDANCE , as u said this is my first bonsai project , i ve bought 2 bonsais before this , but making bonsai is different from having , i Really want to make bonsai myself .
as i read about bonsai in the books,internet ,etc i have 2 plan whcih i think its easier
1-Take cuttings of ficus and fuse them
2- we also have so many populus trees in our city which can be easily Air layered
3- and the third plan is doing what u said

i ll be thankfull if u help in this way

Have fun my friend

Welcome and please follow #3 you got brilliant advice which will get you started the right way.

Go read all of these articles then read them again:
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

Also go here and read everything:
http://www.bonsai4me.com/bonsai_basics.html

Come back and ask all kinds of questions before you buy or try to propagate. Most who quit, do so because they are frustrated and feel like they have failed. The reality is that they just did not start the right way more than likely.

Again follow the advice you already have and welcome to the site and the lifestyle!

Back
Top Bottom