California Coastal Live Oak Progression Thread

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Ok here’s to my first progression thread. Cheers 🍻.

So this Oak has been growing in the ground in tree growing bed for the last 15 years. I dug it out dug it out about 10 years ago and did some root work and trunk chop then I put it bad in my grow bed.

Here’s some pictures during that time span:

IMG_1313.jpegIMG_0106.jpegIMG_6722.jpegB66C4CA9-EE5A-4987-8B53-EB89476AF751.jpeg

Here are the pictures of the tree again, I dug it back out last week and will now start to develop it with more care and attention. Your help and suggestions are encouraged.

IMG_6553.jpeg

Here it is after I did some much needed root work and repotted it in a grow box I built.

IMG_6721.jpegIMG_6726.jpegIMG_6731.jpeg

The left side has 2 possible apex’s for me to choose from. I’m having a hard time deciding on one.

IMG_6733.jpeg

Finally, this is what I envision doing to it right in the middle when looking at the front.

IMG_6731.jpegIMG_6342.jpeg

Ok there you have it. Please feel free to chime in and give me all your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you B Nuts!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like your carving there, but be aware the wood on coast live oak rots out pretty quick. If you're out of the fog belt, though, yours might do better than average. Nice start on that tree.

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I like your carving there, but be aware the wood on coast live oak rots out pretty quick. If you're out of the fog belt, though, yours might do better than average. Nice start on that tree.
Where exactly is the Fog Belt, I live in Whittier we don't get much fog if any. Its pretty dry here most of the year. Couldn't I put something on the wood to help preserve and protect it after carving it?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The fog belt - pretty much from Crescent City to Moro Bay, coast to 20 miles inland. Yeah, the LA Basin doesn't count. Good for your deadwood though. Yes, you can use a wood hardener.

Top Bottom