Built my benches finally!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking good. And you have room for more. Just one thing to be aware of. It appears that you have used boards that are wider than you pots. Pots with flat bottoms on a wide surface will have their drain holes blocked. The water will stay in the pot leading to root rot. Solution is is -- just put some small pieces of wood under the pots, on two sides. This will allow the water to drain out.

It is always great to have your trees up where you can appreciate them. Great start.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start to spring! I hope things are warming up in Ontario, here it is just starting to get spring weather. Spring collecting can only happen in the lower elevations for now, soon in the mountains!

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice start to spring! I hope things are warming up in Ontario, here it is just starting to get spring weather. Spring collecting can only happen in the lower elevations for now, soon in the mountains!
Yeah it's finally warming up nicely. 21 degrees today and all the buds are swollen and looking to pop!

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looking good. And you have room for more. Just one thing to be aware of. It appears that you have used boards that are wider than you pots. Pots with flat bottoms on a wide surface will have their drain holes blocked. The water will stay in the pot leading to root rot. Solution is is -- just put some small pieces of wood under the pots, on two sides. This will allow the water to drain out.

It is always great to have your trees up where you can appreciate them. Great start.
Yeah for sure! All the wood was repurposed so beggars can't be choosers. I'll pop some wood under a few of the pots, really good suggestion.

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Should be interesting as well, I have some cool projects I'm trying. I'm attempting to root some larch branches as cuttings which I am unsure if they will take. The buds are breaking as we speak and with proper aftercare hopefully they will root as well :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah for sure! All the wood was repurposed so beggars can't be choosers. I'll pop some wood under a few of the pots, really good suggestion.

A cheap package of bamboo chopsticks from a dollar store work good and last a long time too. Very easy to place pots on them. We moved to this place in late 2013 and I still don't have benches. I will also use repurposed when I get to it. The only small stands we did move were made from 200 year old barn wood and look good so why not?

Grimmy

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
A cheap package of bamboo chopsticks from a dollar store work good and last a long time too. Very easy to place pots on them. We moved to this place in late 2013 and I still don't have benches. I will also use repurposed when I get to it. The only small stands we did move were made from 200 year old barn wood and look good so why not?

Grimmy
Yeah for sure, I have loads of bamboo chopsticks so I will have to use those. Great suggestion!

Evan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Tim, no ghetto there. It's a start. It took me many years to even think of something I wanted, and then it took years to do it!!.

Can you tell me how you uploaded your photos to be small in your post and then when you click on them they come up as a "click and scroll" to view them? It's a technical question and being new here and no tutorial, I have to ask around. Hope you don't mind helping me out!

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey Tim, no ghetto there. It's a start. It took me many years to even think of something I wanted, and then it took years to do it!!.

Can you tell me how you uploaded your photos to be small in your post and then when you click on them they come up as a "click and scroll" to view them? It's a technical question and being new here and no tutorial, I have to ask around. Hope you don't mind helping me out!
Hey Evan, thanks for the kind words. I hit upload file and when it asks how I want to upload it I do it as a thumbnail I believe

Top Bottom