In search of American-built Unglazed rectangles

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This week I interviewed a Nashville based potter named John Cole. We discussed a bit about building unglazed, slab built, rectangles.

You can read bout it here, if you’d like.

I’d like to find more American potters building unglazed rectangles. And possibly interview them. Maybe if we raise the awareness of these potters, they’ll make more $$, then produce more pots!! Which benefits all of us.

What other American potters are producing these types of pots? Anyone know? I could use some help!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
why the focus on rectangles?

In the USA, local USA potters tend to make round, wheel thrown pots. You simply can not find that many good quality USA potter made rectangles. By writing about the fact that the there is a market demand for rectangle that is not being met, hopefully some of the USA potters will begin producing more rectangles. They are not widely available. I can stumble over 12 wheel potters for every potter making rectangles. Its just the nature of the USA market. How available are rectangles in the EU? Are they as common and as cheap as similar size rounds?

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
why the focus on rectangles?
Leo said it well. I would also add that America has some great conifers for bonsai. (One seed junipers, Rocky Mtn Junipers, etc). Overtime, I think we could develop world class trees from these yamadori. While not every conifer must be planted in an unglazed rectangle, it would be awesome if we had a vibrant pottery community that was producing them.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think one of the problems is that most bonsai enthusiasts don’t want to pay the added cost that it takes to make rectangles. The US market doesn’t have the volume to warrant tooling up for production to bring the cost down. Why should they when there is plenty good quality rec’s from Asia? Most US potters are doing it as a supplemental income which is why there are some affordable rectangles. If they actually charged for real labor and overhead you would see prices associated with professional potters like Ron Lang has........ unaffordable for most bonsai hobbyists.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they actually charged for real labor and overhead you would see prices associated with professional potters like Ron Lang has........ unaffordable for most bonsai hobbyists.
Maybe this is more the reason that they are not made?
As long as people consider industrially mass-produced serialized pots from china of similar value to a once-off hand-made piece produced locally there is a problem.

As for, unaffordable.. If I look at what people are willing to spend on a trunk and then think a 100 dollar pot is too expensive.. I think the saying goes: Pot value and tree value mirror eachother.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mass produced versus hand made is all about “intrinsic “ value and that’s always an interesting conversation. Manufactured diamonds versus natural. They have no visual difference yet the perception of value is. Twenty dollar bill drawn by an artist sells for thousands. We are a very complex species.

Top Bottom