Boxwood; Slanted

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Repotted 9/27/15
Carved deadwood and set branches.
There is a slight bend at the soil level that doesn't show in these pictures; in these images the tachiagari looks very straight.

Attachments

• _MG_0620.JPG
    _MG_0620.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 251
  • _MG_0621.JPG
    _MG_0621.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 230
  • _MG_0623.JPG
    _MG_0623.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 226

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why ya gotta slant it like that? Pull it upright, would look better.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why ya gotta slant it like that? Pull it upright, would look better.

I do like that idea, with the long branch falling more then.

But @aframe when looking at the current pic, to see if I like it again, I found the change in background color quite distracting.

I'd like to see it on a booster chair!

I think upright, it WILL feel more stable, it will look like a feminine lady, rather than a drunk bitch, and you may be able to squeeze a little more movement out of the Japanese word I've never heard!

I like it.

Sorce

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
rather than a drunk bitch
Sorce
Don't talk about mah momma
I explored the upright angle before repotting...didn't fit my eye. I like it's instability. It's like one of those trees you see in the forest and think, "I bet I could kick that Fu@king thing over!, hold mah beer, watch this!!"
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha! I did that to a dead maple at the park the other day!

6 live ash trees. One dead maple. Ah one ash on the way out. But Damn!

I know what you mean. In that case. It deserves a wide slab. It really does.

Sorce

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the lean... but it would look nicer in a wide flat pot... maybe a rock or two under the branches.... yes and a little Japanese boy playing a floot...

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I like the slanted design where appropriate.
I had an opportunity just recently to work with a lady hobbiest who had a nice shore pine. It was planted in a square masculine pot and upright dispite it's mound of roots off to one side. I propped it up with a tilt of about 30 some degrees to the right and stuck a nice drum pot in front of it where the base of the tree began a bit left of center.
Made my day to see the smile on her face.
Time spent in the forrest, saw how easy it was to justify the slant because of the one sided root structure, which seemed to want to grasp the earth as a counter balance to the way the tree was leaning. totally natural looking and believeable in design.
In your case, (again back to the woods) I could see a stone to the left of the tree (where her root ball was on the pine) as if to suggest the seed landed there from the wind, and the young shoot leaned out and away from the stone to get it's needed light. As it lengthened I'd be training it back toward the stone as if the tree was making an effort to climb higher towards the sun.....in a more direct trac once clear of the stone.
Just some thoughts on how I envision things with my own subjects....maybe not for you :) But perhaps to some, a different way of looking at things.....

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
6/5/16
Nephew knocked it out of the pot; replanted and looks ok

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 123
Top Bottom