Boxwood Progression

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
So I thought I started a thread about this tree a couple years ago when I got it but it appeared I didn't. I managed to push some new growth down but not as much as I would have liked. When I looked at this tree from the front I felt that it was just too busy. It had too many main trunks and thick branches. So today I took one huge step back in hopes to take a few forward. I removed the front right trunk. At the planting angle that I will use in the future it is an "eye poking branch". It wasn't an easy decision to cut it. One that I have been mulling over for about a year now. I also chopped another thick back branch. At the beginning of the year I did cut I back some but I feel that I didn't take it back enough. I am happy with the outcome and feel like it is headed in the right direction now, of it survives the chop.

P.S I know I need to get some decent "non-black" cut paste.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 85
  • boxwoodbeforechop.jpg
    boxwoodbeforechop.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 90
  • box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 73
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 72
  • boxwoodafterchop.jpg
    boxwoodafterchop.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Here's what I am thinking.

Attachments

• boxwoodfuture.jpg
    boxwoodfuture.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 59
I knew you had another thread about this and found it.
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?10389-A-good-investment

I was trying to do a virt and it was tough (my mind kept going back to the old pics). Sorry to tell you but IMHO, you destroyed a good tree. :(

Here is a start as I see it. Rewire the left branch (or just un-wire it) so it radiate out from the center...not crossing across towards another branch. I am not sure yet if the middle branch need to totally go but you should be open to it.

Good luck!

attachment.php

Attachments

• boxwoodafterchopa.jpg
    boxwoodafterchopa.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom