Bougainvillea project.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice.....get some growth in there in the offseason?

My Plant room is a little warmer at 73F. The area I keep the Bougie stays at 55 percent humidity and it needed to be cut back 3 times last Winter. I kept it in partial shade this Spring and Summer until two weeks ago. If I let it go it in or outside with a lot of Sun it throws bracts all the time. In the partial shade, never. I put it out to full sun recently so it does bract out before trimming and going back in.
Seems different all over...

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@c54fun Thanks for the reply. I've found a 4-5 year old bougie, nursery stock. I'll set it aside and save the work for spring then. It's funny how they don't like too much root work, but they can grow from cuttings the size of an elephant's foot.

Also there is an old thread were a member here asked @sam how much soil he had in a small container for a rather thick trunk plant - his response was there is none, just roots - CRAZY :p

Grimmy

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have read others saying they don't mind.

I'm from that camp, at least until I prove to myself otherwise that is. I have never lost one to root work yet only what I suspect is too much water over winter when they don't wake up from their dormancy, some go dormant and others wont but I leave mine outside all winter here. Mind you frosts are rare.
I will say though that I find the roots brittle and because of that you should maybe use more caution than I tend use and sometimes they will sulk after root work and drop their leaves but they will come back.
I still have a couple of yard ones to dig too so I will see how that goes but my confidence of survival is good.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The roots are brittle for sure. I have one I was aggressive with and it lost all its leaves and slowly the leaves grew back and for over a year it has not grown at all. Very odd.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe one more season and this tree should be filled out completly.
20171014_173432.jpg
20171014_173002.jpg
20171014_173011.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This keeps getting bigger and bigger. Cant wait till next year to shape it even more. Its at its max to fit into the greenhouse so I will start compacting it next year.
20171102_131132.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trimmed this up today, should fill in nice. Looking pretty bare at this time of year. This grows like crazy.
20180217_170027 (Small).jpg

Top Bottom