Bougainvillea project.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I would post some pictures of one of my bougainvillea projects. I like these trees and they grow well where I live with some winter protection.
Starting point. This trunk is big. Tree is heavy. Lots of potential though.20160909_161230 (1).jpg
Wired the branches and first step of carving. More detail carving will be done later.
20161002_130450.jpg
Added lime sulfur. Right middle branch may get removed. Left it for now.
20161001_185748.jpg
Pinched the ends off. Needs to fill out now.
20161018_115408_resized.jpg

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The last picture surprised me! I did not see the potential - good eye and nice work ;)

Grimmy

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I first got it I wasn't sure what to do with it. Looks like a big log with branches going straight out of it. Much bigger than I thought it was. About a month later I thought I should do something with it. Will be interesting to see it fill out.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree has been doing nothing but flower which is cool to see but glad it's putting on foliage now. It needs lots and lots to be able to shape it up and fill it out. This is the first I've seen it grow foliage.
Big base, it needs lots and lots of green to make it look good.
20170618_092314 (Small).jpg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing out now.

Do you find that it produces more foliage and less flora growing in filtered light? Here they produce a lot of foliage if kept shaded and a lot of blooms in full sun. Just curious if it works the same way down there :) Nice progress by the way and thanks for sharing :cool:

Grimmy

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you find that it produces more foliage and less flora growing in filtered light? Here they produce a lot of foliage if kept shaded and a lot of blooms in full sun. Just curious if it works the same way down there :) Nice progress by the way and thanks for sharing :cool:

Grimmy
I have found out of the 4 I have growing they have cycles of foliage and then flowers. At the moment the ones in full sun are beginning to flower again after a short period of foliage growth. One of the 3 in full sun is late pushing flower compared to the other two sitting right next to it. The one in the ground, in a container in filtered light is growing foliage like crazy but it was just pruned back not long ago. I feel if I hadn't pruned it would be flowering also. From what I can tell it doesn't matter weather in filtered or direct sun. They cycle from flowing to foliage growth. I've seen people post to put it in sun or maybe more shade to make it flower. Could be true but seems like if you just make them healthy they do it anyway.

Edit. Forgot about the purple one. It gets a lot of sun but not as much as the 3 on the table and it is just starting to push a few flowers. Its been trimmed also.
These 3 are in full sun.
20170707_122935.jpg
This one is in ground and also in a container. Filtered light. Was just pruned and shaped a couple of weeks ago. Pictures taken today.
20170707_122949.jpg
20170707_123903.jpg

Last edited:

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Grimmy

We have a yard Bougie that this year is the first year we have seen bracts on(cool colour too), the only thing I can put that down to is having a load of large Cypress removed which was blocking the light and it is now in full sun compared to the last couple of hours a day of sun. I'm not sure the shaded growth was desirable as it was leggy and did it's deciduous thing in winter.
All my potted ones are in full sun so I know it's different but full sun here tends to give blooms most of the year, shade does not.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have a yard Bougie that this year is the first year we have seen bracts on(cool colour too), the only thing I can put that down to is having a load of large Cypress removed which was blocking the light and it is now in full sun compared to the last couple of hours a day of sun. I'm not sure the shaded growth was desirable as it was leggy and did it's deciduous thing in winter.
All my potted ones are in full sun so I know it's different but full sun here tends to give blooms most of the year, shade does not.

Found this on the net which makes sense and applies to my trees. Also applies to @Starfox in that its now getting more light and with more light its probably dryer to. Causing it to push flowers.
The reasons for a bougainvillea not blooming are the following:
  1. No Lighting ( should read to much shade)
  2. Over-watering
  3. Overfeeding
  4. Re-potting
  5. Heavy Pruning

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Found this on the net which makes sense and applies to my trees. Also applies to @Starfox in that its now getting more light and with more light its probably dryer to. Causing it to push flowers.
The reasons for a bougainvillea not blooming are the following:
  1. No Lighting ( should read to much shade)
  2. Over-watering
  3. Overfeeding
  4. Re-potting
  5. Heavy Pruning

Aside from overfeeding I would say that matches my experiences, not saying overfeeding may not be an issue however I have just not made that connection yet and it is unlikely I overfeed anything. :D
Also I have noted that blooms can be a different colour dependent on light exposure.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Thank you and good growing ;)

Grimmy

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have found out of the 4 I have growing they have cycles of foliage and then flowers. At the moment the ones in full sun are beginning to flower again after a short period of foliage growth. One of the 3 in full sun is late pushing flower compared to the other two sitting right next to it. The one in the ground, in a container in filtered light is growing foliage like crazy but it was just pruned back not long ago. I feel if I hadn't pruned it would be flowering also. From what I can tell it doesn't matter weather in filtered or direct sun. They cycle from flowing to foliage growth. I've seen people post to put it in sun or maybe more shade to make it flower. Could be true but seems like if you just make them healthy they do it anyway.

Edit. Forgot about the purple one. It gets a lot of sun but not as much as the 3 on the table and it is just starting to push a few flowers. Its been trimmed also.
These 3 are in full sun.
View attachment 152249
This one is in ground and also in a container. Filtered light. Was just pruned and shaped a couple of weeks ago. Pictures taken today.
View attachment 152251
View attachment 152252
Awesome tree. It wont pop a bud for you lower one the large trunk? Seems like it could use a branch down there

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

These 3 are in full sun.
View attachment 152249
View attachment 152251
View attachment 152252
Did a double take on the snake! I would forget about it and scare the shit out of myself every day though!

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did a double take on the snake! I would forget about it and scare the shit out of myself every day though!
I've done it many times. The older they get the more weathered and real they look.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I seem to be collecting bougies lately, just love them. I have some small ones and even a couple I consider decent size, but that one is freaking awesome.
Thanks @Carol 83 When people come over they always say the same thing. Omg look at that one. Still want to find a white one. Ill just keep looking.

Top Bottom