Book on Prebonsai

berfried

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Does anyone have a recommendation for a book on prebonsai? Collection, care, development etc.? These techniques vary quite a lot between bonsai and prebonsai. A book with a larger chapter dedicated to the topic would be helpful as well!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone have a recommendation for a book on prebonsai? Collection, care, development etc.? These techniques vary quite a lot between bonsai and prebonsai. A book with a larger chapter dedicated to the topic would be helpful as well!
If I could rephrase the question slightly. Which books contain developmental techniques that are generally applicable to most deciduous and most coniferous pre bonsai. I phrase it this way because they rarely occur in the same books.
For deciduous I would study the techniques described in Merrigioli " Bonsai Maples "
For conifers I would pick up two smaller books " Growing and styling Pine Bonsai" and " Growing and styling Juniper Bonsai" available Stone Lantern.

First book is expensive but worth every penny and should be included in any library for Bonsai.
The next two are relatively inexpensive, but contain enough direction to get a good start on conifers.

For detailed direction on a particular species, the best source is still the older magazines with translated articles! International Bonsai and Bonsai Focus. ( the exception being Merrigiolli "Bonsai Maples")IMG_2565.jpeg

Last edited:

berfried

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If I could rephrase the question slightly. Which books contain developmental techniques that are generally applicable to most deciduous and most coniferous pre bonsai. I phrase it this way because they rarely occur in the same books.
For deciduous I would study the techniques described in Merrigioli " Bonsai Maples "
For conifers I would pick up two smaller books " Growing and styling Pine Bonsai" and " Growing and styling Juniper Bonsai" available Stone Lantern.

First book is expensive but worth every penny and should be included in any library for Bonsai.
The next two are relatively inexpensive, but contain enough direction to get a good start on conifers.

For detailed direction on a particular species, the best source is still the older magazines with translated articles! International Bonsai and Bonsai Focus. ( the exception being Merrigiolli "Bonsai Maples")View attachment 534544
I will look into these. Thank you!

berfried

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

For detailed direction on a particular species, the best source is still the older magazines with translated articles! International Bonsai and Bonsai Focus. ( the exception being Merrigiolli "Bonsai Maples")View attachment 534544
I ordered Bonsai Maples a few days ago. Looking forward to it.
Thanks again for the advice!

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ve heard this before but the reminder finally has gotten me to purchase them as I’m almost done reading Dave DeGroots principles of design. I’ve held off on the bonsai maples for now since that is the smallest part of my collection.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Peter Warren's Bonsai with Japanese Maples has lots of development technique as well.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Peter Warren's Bonsai with Japanese Maples has lots of development technique as well.
I feel Peter Warrens book " Bonsai techniques, styles and display ideas has a great range of developmental techniques for a variety of species. Published 2014.
I do not have his one on Maples. But a great smaller book on maples to consider is Peter Adams, Bonsai with Japanese Maples. Published 2006 A bit older material perhaps but sound foundation.

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpeg
    IMG_2594.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2596.jpeg
    IMG_2596.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 7

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Fair enough. I was referring to Peter Adams' work. Many of the contents in it are too similar to Merrigioli's for me to believe the latter's is all original.
I do not have his one on Maples. But a great smaller book on maples to consider is Peter Adams, Bonsai with Japanese Maples. Published 2006 A bit older material perhaps but sound foundation.

Top Bottom