bonsai soil from home depot

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Has anyone tried this, looks a lot like Bonsai jacks mix, maybe a little cheaper. Pumice, lava pine fines and some clay product.hd bonsai soil.PNG

I bought a bag of their pumice once. Very coarse, I think 1/4 inch particles. Too big for me

I've used this and it is good unless you have shohin in small pots and need less than 1/4 inch particle size (they also have a shohin mix which is basically the same but smaller particles). Very good drainage. Clean, dust-free mix of lava, pumice, clay, and a little pine bark, consistent particle size of about 3/8 to 1/4 inch. More lava and pumice and less clay than Bonsai Jack mixes. I've had good root growth on trees in development.

I bought a couple bags of pumice. Haven't used it yet but 1/4 inch is ok for most of my trees.

So 20 qts//5 gallons for $59.98 ($12.00 per gallon). That doesn't sound to bad to me. Way cheaper than bonsai Jacks @ 3 gallons for $41.88 ($13.96 per gallon). I wonder what the "clay" is in the HD mix.

So 20 qts//5 gallons for $59.98 ($12.00 per gallon). That doesn't sound to bad to me. Way cheaper than bonsai Jacks @ 3 gallons for $41.88 ($13.96 per gallon). I wonder what the "clay" is in the HD mix.
This is the clay in the mix.

I've used this and it is good unless you have shohin in small pots and need less than 1/4 inch particle size (they also have a shohin mix which is basically the same but smaller particles). Very good drainage. Clean, dust-free mix of lava, pumice, clay, and a little pine bark, consistent particle size of about 3/8 to 1/4 inch. More lava and pumice and less clay than Bonsai Jack mixes. I've had good root growth on trees in development.
Looks like they have a shohin size.

Has anyone tried this, looks a lot like Bonsai jacks mix, maybe a little cheaper. Pumice, lava pine fines and some clay product.View attachment 496751
I think that is bonsai supply out of Florida.

They have a YouTube channel.

I wonder if that is a 3rd party redirect sales system that home Depot uses. Similar to Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom