bonsai soil from home depot

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Has anyone tried this, looks a lot like Bonsai jacks mix, maybe a little cheaper. Pumice, lava pine fines and some clay product.hd bonsai soil.PNG

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a bag of their pumice once. Very coarse, I think 1/4 inch particles. Too big for me

jeffapana

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've used this and it is good unless you have shohin in small pots and need less than 1/4 inch particle size (they also have a shohin mix which is basically the same but smaller particles). Very good drainage. Clean, dust-free mix of lava, pumice, clay, and a little pine bark, consistent particle size of about 3/8 to 1/4 inch. More lava and pumice and less clay than Bonsai Jack mixes. I've had good root growth on trees in development.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought a couple bags of pumice. Haven't used it yet but 1/4 inch is ok for most of my trees.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So 20 qts//5 gallons for $59.98 ($12.00 per gallon). That doesn't sound to bad to me. Way cheaper than bonsai Jacks @ 3 gallons for $41.88 ($13.96 per gallon). I wonder what the "clay" is in the HD mix.

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So 20 qts//5 gallons for $59.98 ($12.00 per gallon). That doesn't sound to bad to me. Way cheaper than bonsai Jacks @ 3 gallons for $41.88 ($13.96 per gallon). I wonder what the "clay" is in the HD mix.
This is the clay in the mix.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've used this and it is good unless you have shohin in small pots and need less than 1/4 inch particle size (they also have a shohin mix which is basically the same but smaller particles). Very good drainage. Clean, dust-free mix of lava, pumice, clay, and a little pine bark, consistent particle size of about 3/8 to 1/4 inch. More lava and pumice and less clay than Bonsai Jack mixes. I've had good root growth on trees in development.
Looks like they have a shohin size.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this, looks a lot like Bonsai jacks mix, maybe a little cheaper. Pumice, lava pine fines and some clay product.View attachment 496751
I think that is bonsai supply out of Florida.

They have a YouTube channel.

I wonder if that is a 3rd party redirect sales system that home Depot uses. Similar to Amazon.

Top Bottom