Bonsai Fence?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Earlier this month Fresno had the eighth annual swapmeet for bonsai. It was a great success and one of the trees stirred some interest for a member here.
This large hornbeam was of interest to Brian Van Fleet. we communicated and I had told him I would check on it since the guy who owns lives about 25 miles out of town, but that I had a job in that town, and would check. My plan was to get additional photo's firm a better price and find out about shipping.

DSC_00320011.JPG

I went by the market the guy owns only to find out that he does not have regular hours and seldom gets there before 11AM. I am mostly finished with my business in an hour or two and moving on to the next job.

Mr. Ramiriz has a huge collection of bonsai at his market and the shade cloth on the right side of the market is where he has some bonsai. Mostly stuff in training as his more finished bonsai reside at his home.
IMG_00920005.JPG

This fellow has some really great trees and most are very large two man trees. This very large Foemina juniper is from Richard in 2009 unloading it and placing it in the Kazari in Hanford.

DSC_0033.JPG
Thats Richard behind the tree in the greenish shirt.

DSC_0034.JPG DSC_0036.JPG

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So...finally I hook up with Richard, and sadly he tells me he does not wish to ship the tree, which is a dissapointment but I did have some time while parking in front of the store numerous times to admire the fence line. I'll just post the pictures and let them tell the story.

Mostly crepe myrtle, some white birch and liquid amber.
IMG_00930006.JPG IMG_00950007.JPG IMG_00980002.JPG IMG_00990003.JPG IMG_01020004.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wild ride

Do tell.....Welcome back! Don't pull a Qwade and drop one line and never come back again!

And for the record...(bonsai fence)...I thought you stole all Mach5's maples!

If Ed didn't show up.....this would be kind of a boring thread! Lol.

Hey look...it's uncle Eddie!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Most unusual mix of elements, and thanks again for trying to run down that KH for me. If he ever softens, I'm still interested. Even if it has to fall off a truck in front of my house. :cool:

Best to you and Mrs. K; praying for the best possible outcome and a merry Christmas.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why don't you send smoke the money to buy and ship it for you?
That way the owner doesn't have to ship it.
Most unusual mix of elements, and thanks again for trying to run down that KH for me. If he ever softens, I'm still interested. Even if it has to fall off a truck in front of my house. :cool:

Best to you and Mrs. K; praying for the best possible outcome and a merry Christmas.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
[QUOTE="amcoffeegirl, post: 311196, member: 12890"Why don't you send smoke the money to buy and ship it for you?
That way the owner doesn't have to ship it.[/QUOTE]
Likely the "fall of a truck" comment was a subtle ice breaker....:rolleyes:

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
When I read the title, I thought you had discovered some illegal bonsai activity. Instead, I get to see some photos of some really nice trees. Best wishes to Mrs. Smoke and you this holiday season.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Why don't you send smoke the money to buy and ship it for you?
That way the owner doesn't have to ship it.
CA requires Pytosanitary Certificates when shipping live plants. I think it's a bit more complicated than sticking in a box and sending it along. Otherwise, you can be sure Al and I could have worked something out.:D
And again, I'm not opposed to having something fall off a truck outside my house.:cool:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
CA requires Pytosanitary Certificates when shipping live plants. I think it's a bit more complicated than sticking in a box and sending it along. Otherwise, you can be sure Al and I could have worked something out.:D
And again, I'm not opposed to having something fall off a truck outside my house.:cool:
Oh I see. That's a pita.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll try to get a picture or two. I was in a hurry when I did see him. I think there may be an issue or two you should see first. If all is good, I can take it to Wood at Shohin since I figure he will be there with Telperion in Feb.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I'm not mistaken, and I didn't look at this tree too closely and I think for this reason and price it has a trunk like this. The elm to the left seems to suffer from the same problem though to a lessor extent.

DSC_00320011.JPG

handles.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah, I assumed by the scar and big change from the lower to the upper section that it probably had a wine-bottle trunk. It's ok, I'd probably make it a much shorter tree, and enjoy the base, trunk, and fall color. I killed a true import yamadori KH a couple years ago. A heartbreaker, I don't miss many trees, but I miss that one!
image.jpg image.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, I assumed by the scar and big change from the lower to the upper section that it probably had a wine-bottle trunk. It's ok, I'd probably make it a much shorter tree, and enjoy the base, trunk, and fall color. I killed a true import yamadori KH a couple years ago. A heartbreaker, I don't miss many trees, but I miss that one!
View attachment 89911 View attachment 89912
I see why you would miss it.

Top Bottom