Bonsai Christmas Gift Suggestions...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've had success with the molemax?
I have.
@GrimLore is the one to thank for bringing it to my attention.
I lost a lot of trees to voles a couple of winters ago. A lot.
With the molemax and steel sheets buried in the ground so they couldn't tunnel under I didn't lose any to V.C. last year.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You've had success with the molemax?

It really works nicely and is safe. AGWAY also has their own brand called Mole Repellent. They are both Mineral Oil in granular form. A lot of small critters do not like it and avoid it. It is rather comical when a young squirrel starts digging and in a few moments runs and tries to rub it off flipping about... It also seems to bother rabbits too but I still find instant results for rabbits with Liquid Fence.

Grimmy

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Christmas Recipe
5 lb.Neem Meal, 1 lb.Blood meal, 1 lb.Bone Meal, 1 pint Alaskan Fish Fertilizer.
Stir to thick paste. ( add warm water if needed)
Press flat on cookie sheet , score with pizza cutter when still wet. Dry in the sun.

When and at what rate do you apply? Do you just lay cakes on top or do you put them in a basket. Thanks for the recipe! @Bonsai Nut would the Neem Meal help with the Leaf Miner problem on my pomegranate?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When and at what rate do you apply? Do you just lay cakes on top or do you put them in a basket. Thanks for the recipe! @Bonsai Nut would the Neem Meal help with the Leaf Miner problem on my pomegranate?
I have tried it in various ways. For my JBP in pots or grow boxes i use it as " cubes" on the surface and build the concentration over time during the period of time i wish to fertilize. I usually set the JBP up for the season starting in February and have removed all fertilizer by mid to late august. This is a general guideline for developing stock not trees in a more advanced stage of refinement. In the grow beds i crumble and mix slightly below the surface in combination with a small amount of a slow release osmocote style product called apex. On the benches for deciduous i use tea bags. This approach has the advantage of easy transfer or removal without having to change the soil surface so often. Proponents of Neem Meal believe that it has insecticidal properties. I have not experienced those difficulties so cannot say one way or the other.
One caveat to mention. If the Neem Meal is not finely ground it germinates readilyo_O. Easy to extract but :confused: For this reason the tea bags can be a preferred delivery method. As an organic, moisture is important for breakdown and delivery. I use a very free draining bonsai soil so frequent watering is not an issue for me. One has to mix and match methods to suit their use of soil, watering habits, climate etc.
I can vouch for this recipe. But do not suggest you prepare it indoors.:oops:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh my goodness! Is that going to go up for auction somewhere?
Come on over to Phoenix Bonsai Society swapmart you can buy yourself one. Or two.

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I found a bunch of tiny nandinas for $2. I made some small hypertufa pots, moss and added micro led Christmas lights. I think they'll be pretty fun lil Christmas gifts.

Attachments

• IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 29

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of small critters do not like it and avoid it.
I'm worrying somethings going on out there.
Rupert keeps poking his snout into the snow around my tree enclosure. Like he smells something under there.
Got me so worried I'm thinking of pulling some trees and try to see if something is going on.
I'm not sure I could survive another onslaught like the last one.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm worrying somethings going on out there.
Rupert keeps poking his snout into the snow around my tree enclosure. Like he smells something under there.
Got me so worried I'm thinking of pulling some trees and try to see if something is going on.
I'm not sure I could survive another onslaught like the last one.
Hate hearing that thought even cross your mind. Hope nothing is out of the ordinary is seen.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Hopefully it will be the critters attempting but leaving... Or better yet something else of interest like a dead critter...

Grimmy

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Met up with Sorce and his daughter today and picked up my Christmas present to myself.

Love the purple and blue on the green pot. The feet on the little pot are turtle heads.

@sorce thanks for taking the time to met today, cannot wait to use these pots.

Your daughter is adorable and just what a little Sorce should be.

Attachments

• 81991AFD-3197-4112-8643-862F223BC118.jpeg
    81991AFD-3197-4112-8643-862F223BC118.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 7141A5B6-A96E-4A23-A8EA-D531D3537CF2.jpeg
    7141A5B6-A96E-4A23-A8EA-D531D3537CF2.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5B61A97A-B0F2-4456-BA77-F596ABB47A36.jpeg
    5B61A97A-B0F2-4456-BA77-F596ABB47A36.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 6957CF70-FEF1-4BFD-84CA-A65BA8462358.jpeg
    6957CF70-FEF1-4BFD-84CA-A65BA8462358.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 14

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Met up with Sorce and his daughter today and picked up my Christmas present to myself.

Love the purple and blue on the green pot. The feet on the little pot are turtle heads.

@sorce thanks for taking the time to met today, cannot wait to use these pots.

Your daughter is adorable and just what a little Sorce should be.

Good to see you again!

Too happy to hear of planned plantings!

Thank you So much!

Sorce

Top Bottom