Biogold Original Fertilizer is just fermented chicken manure? Has anyone fermented their own fertilizer?

Fresh chicken droppings will indeed burn plants. For the same reason they make very hot compost when mixed with carbon rich materials. You can also make an excellent liquid fertilizer by adding the droppings to water and aerating them for a few days. Aeration creates the oxygen-rich environment needed for quick fermentation. Then pour off the liquid, dilute if necessary, and use it on plants. When all the liquid is gone the solid residue can also be used on plants, or in the compost bin.

I've done this several times, but decided it was much easier to dump the chicken droppings and soiled litter in the compost bin and let the bacteria do the job. The necessary bacteria are present in the environment all the time, no need to inoculate with any particular type.

Never bought any. Though... we had a cattle farm. So a lot of compost on that aspect. More so than chickens offered up. 🤔 I just know we never used waste from the chickens. I don't know why to be honest.
My uncle used to raise chickens as a contractor for Tyson. There was no shortage of chicken poop for us in those days.

Agree.
We do not have access to Biogold down here due to quarantine restrictions but we do have a number of local chicken manure products and I suspect most countries with intensive chicken farms will also. All that chicken poo has to go somewhere!
The local products are significantly cheaper because they are aimed at home gardener and don't have the bonsai myths and legends to boost prices. I also suspect that most of these products are very similar to each other.
I've been using a local one called Rooster Booster at Au$23 for 20kg. Dynamic Lifter is the main competitor here at Au$29 for 25kg. Seamungus is another similar product - fermented manures with added seaweed, fish and humic acid Au$25 for 15kg

None of my trees can read the labels so they are not concerned with all the hype. That's all aimed at the human minders. The trees are only interested in nutrients and all the different products have similar nutrients.
still restrictions? :0 jeez dude.

Yeah! We can do it at home now. My momma has been doing rice wine for decades. Her stuff is decadent.
Legal was never a necessity where I grew up 😁 . This happened in the next county in the Depression. It was still going on when I was a kid.

Not fermented but I make Actively Aerated Compost Tea (AACT or ACT). Read 'Teaming With Microbes' for details about it, it's complicated but worth it: it can have up to 4x as many microbes per unit volume as compost. IMHO there's nothing you can do for your trees health that's more effective than improving the soil and the best way to improve the soil is compost and/or compost tea. "Improving" in this sense means "maximizing the number of relationships between living beings in the soil." BioGold is a specific compost formulation that works well for bonsai but it's not a panacea and there's well documented long-term problems that arise when relying solely on it as a source for nutrients and microbes.

For me, that's where the ACT comes in. Thanks to Ryan Neil's research, I know that ACT will not work when added to akadama soils directly; the microbes clog the tubular structures in the clay (probably), inhibiting root growth. So, I use ACT as a foliar spray for trees in akadama, spraying the underside of the leaves so that nutrients and microbes can enter the tree via pores/stomata. For trees that aren't in akadama, they get ACT in the soil 3-4 times per month. I can't afford fancy lab testing so this is the workaround I've come up with.

This is my third growing season with this system and it's working pretty well. The only pests I get with any consistency are thrips on my ficus - there's thrips on every ficus in my neighborhood, though. Everything grows with moderate vigor and nothing smells bad.

Back
Top Bottom