Biogold Original Fertilizer is just fermented chicken manure? Has anyone fermented their own fertilizer?

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's the link to their product sheet: https://biogold.co.jp/products/bo
If it comes up in Japanese, there is a globe icon 🌐 at the top of the page. Click it and select English.

Scroll down and you'll see
raw materials
Fermented chicken manure
Manufacturing method
Pure bacteria fermentation
Types of fertilizer
Processed poultry manure fertilizer

I wonder which bacteria is used to ferment the chicken manure? If it's lactobacillus, that can be produced easily at home. Just manage the moisture content and an anerobic environment and we can make our own fermented fertilizers.

Surely, someone here has tried fermenting their own fertilizer. Anyone have comments?

Hmmmm. I'm fascinated. I brew kefir (milk and water both) and I have used the excess (if there is any) in the garden without noticing much difference, probably because it was very small amounts, maybe a cup or two. I don't really have access to manure, but I've been collecting coffee grounds from work. I wonder if that would work? I can give it a shot and report back with the results in a month or two...

I've imported Bio-Gold Directly from Japan and when I received it, the company was required to list the ingredients, I can tell you there were more ingredients than what you have listed above.

One thing to note is they source the chicken manure from high quality egg laying chickens, which is why there's a significant amount of calcium in Bio-Gold. I would think in general the quality of chickens is much higher than in the US and ensuring you used a high quality chicken manure would be a smart move.

I’ve never intentionally fermented manure for fertilizer, but I have mixed different kinds of dry fertilizer together and, one time, I added a bit of liquid fish fertilizer to the mix and mixed thoroughly. A few months later, I saw evidence that mycorrhizae was growing in the fertilizer and it had become sort of clumped, which made using it a bit more convenient. Apparently, just that little bit of moisture from the fish fertilizer was sufficient to get the biological process of breaking down the fertilizer started.

I've imported Bio-Gold Directly from Japan and when I received it, the company was required to list the ingredients, I can tell you there were more ingredients than what you have listed above.

One thing to note is they source the chicken manure from high quality egg laying chickens, which is why there's a significant amount of calcium in Bio-Gold. I would think in general the quality of chickens is much higher than in the US and ensuring you used a high quality chicken manure would be a smart move.
I have dabbled in the chicken world, I was a lecturer for a university's animal genetics department for a while, and taught kids about the chicken and the egg.
With some small exceptions, essentially all chicken feed world wide is somewhat the same: you need certain fibers, minerals and proteins to produce a good quality egg with the right shell thickness. The chicken breeds are also mostly just a hand full that are used globally.
This means that all chicken manure is also similar in quality. The difference is in processing it wet or dry, and the amount of antibiotics given to the animals.

As long as it's wet, no one can stop it from fermenting. To produce pellets or balls out of it, you would need to wet it again, and it will ferment again.
The bacteria that do this fermentation are already present in the chicken intestines and they come out with the poop. So if you want to do this yourself, wet it, roll a ball out of it, and dry it.

Chicken bred for meat would produce more ammonia rich manure. Which seems to be a thing in biogold. So I'm even thinking it might be mixed source.
I think biogold relies on legends and myths as a selling point, which is fine. But we should keep our eyes open for locally produced manure since it's probably similar quality or maybe even better.

I think biogold relies on legends and myths as a selling point, which is fine. But we should keep our eyes open for locally produced manure since it's probably similar quality or maybe even better.
Agree.
We do not have access to Biogold down here due to quarantine restrictions but we do have a number of local chicken manure products and I suspect most countries with intensive chicken farms will also. All that chicken poo has to go somewhere!
The local products are significantly cheaper because they are aimed at home gardener and don't have the bonsai myths and legends to boost prices. I also suspect that most of these products are very similar to each other.
I've been using a local one called Rooster Booster at Au$23 for 20kg. Dynamic Lifter is the main competitor here at Au$29 for 25kg. Seamungus is another similar product - fermented manures with added seaweed, fish and humic acid Au$25 for 15kg

None of my trees can read the labels so they are not concerned with all the hype. That's all aimed at the human minders. The trees are only interested in nutrients and all the different products have similar nutrients.

I buy and use the cheapest chicken manure I can find for around €1,00 for 1kg.
I'm not going to pay € 85,00 for 5kg which is roughly the price for Bio Gold in the EU.

I'll say this. While growing up on a farm. My grandfather and uncle only chose to fertilize with Cow manure. Never used the waste from the hen house on any plant life. It can burn... but your talking a long process. Verses just using it fresh. I'm leery of it. Only because...they never used it. Both now long gone...I can't ask their reasoning. I presume that burning risk...wasn't worth the usage.

It can burn... but your talking a long process.
For a while we had a chicken manure supplier in SoCal that had started a business composting chicken manure from the large chicken farms out in the inland empire. You have to be careful to make sure that the manure is composted thoroughly because fresh manure can burn your plants/trees - either chemically, through ammonia, or when thermophillic bacteria are present, and the manure actually becomes "hot" (reaching temperature up to 145F). If you've ever purchased a bag of "composted" cow manure at a big box store, and you pick it up and it feels hot to the touch you know what I'm talking about.

If you've ever purchased a bag of "composted" cow manure at a big box store, and you pick it up and it feels hot to the touch you know what I'm talking about.
Here in the desert, where temps are consistently in triple digits, I'm leery of anything that isn't hot to the touch! 😅

Here's the link to their product sheet: https://biogold.co.jp/products/bo
If it comes up in Japanese, there is a globe icon 🌐 at the top of the page. Click it and select English.

Scroll down and you'll see
raw materials
Fermented chicken manure
Manufacturing method
Pure bacteria fermentation
Types of fertilizer
Processed poultry manure fertilizer

I wonder which bacteria is used to ferment the chicken manure? If it's lactobacillus, that can be produced easily at home. Just manage the moisture content and an anerobic environment and we can make our own fermented fertilizers.

Surely, someone here has tried fermenting their own fertilizer. Anyone have comments?
I don't know about Biogold method but I have used the following method for ages. I simply put the chicken poop into a thick clear plastic bag, seal it tight, and put it out in full sun. The poop will turn into excellent manure with no smell in 6-8 months. The stuff is potent. A quarter cup into a pot and the plants in that pot will grow like crazy.

plant tone and related products contain chicken manure and a few other ingredients; green sand, corn gluten, alfalfa etc.

Ryan Niel in one of the podcast mentioned that the quality of poultry feed, and the health of the chickens on Japan also increase the nutrients profile. Likely the case, Japan feed and food stock prep is extremely high quality.

For a while we had a chicken manure supplier in SoCal that had started a business composting chicken manure from the large chicken farms out in the inland empire. You have to be careful to make sure that the manure is composted thoroughly because fresh manure can burn your plants/trees - either chemically, through ammonia, or when thermophillic bacteria are present, and the manure actually becomes "hot" (reaching temperature up to 145F). If you've ever purchased a bag of "composted" cow manure at a big box store, and you pick it up and it feels hot to the touch you know what I'm talking about.
Never bought any. Though... we had a cattle farm. So a lot of compost on that aspect. More so than chickens offered up. 🤔 I just know we never used waste from the chickens. I don't know why to be honest.

Oh interesting stuff may have to give it a try!

I don't know about Biogold method but I have used the following method for ages. I simply put the chicken poop into a thick clear plastic bag, seal it tight, and put it out in full sun. The poop will turn into excellent manure with no smell in 6-8 months. The stuff is potent. A quarter cup into a pot and the plants in that pot will grow like crazy.
Make sure that the poop has turned into manure. Chicken poop can burn any plant to death.

I have a hard time believing that all chickens are the same. It seems more likely that some chickens are farmed with a higher degree of quality. And therefore the manure would be of higher nutritional quality.

The price of Biogold does seem high for fertilizer, but at the same time I’ve had nothing but good results from it.

If it ain’t broke……🤷🏼‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom