Big Dawn Redwood Stump

I'm my climate (zone 7) they do get some leaf scorch in the summer. I will use 30% shade cloth when June hits. I give it the same treatment as my maples too. Cheers

Beautiful! I just planted some Dawn Redwood seeds last weekend, so I'm excited to watch your progress!

Some of the dead wood it getting soft and cracking pretty good. Should I let it do it's thing and rot away naturally or carve it soon?

Some of the dead wood it getting soft and cracking pretty good. Should I let it do it's thing and rot away naturally or carve it soon?

Looking good, I'd let it rot naturally, unless you have a specific design in mind. If you have no plan, just let it rot naturally, let nature do the design.

Looking good, I'd let it rot naturally, unless you have a specific design in mind. If you have no plan, just let it rot naturally, let nature do the design.
So I spent a good part of the past week researching die grinders and bits and watching a lot of Graham Potter videos, thinking of designs and staring at the tree at all angles to see what can be done.

And after all that I came to the same conclusion. I'm just going to let it be for a while and see what happens naturally. There's no rush and it's taught me a bit of patience. Right now my goal is to keep the tree healthy and reduce the root mass over the next few years.

Here are some pics of the deadwood for documentation's sake
20210521_162807.jpg20210521_110350.jpg20210521_110359.jpg

Didnt realize the deadwood was so big, and the live vain was only on 1 side. That will take years to naturally rot, break out the chainsaw and carve that badboy up. At least break up the flat top cut.

@Rateeluck
Below is the link to my account media. Look at the photos for ideas how bald cypress dead stumps age. The danger of carving tools is they remove a lot of material very quickly. Some trees break with "square-ish" or somewhat flat end surfaces. Other species break with sharp jagged snags. I believe bald cypress tends toward the flat ends of the breaks. But look at the various examples and decide for yourself.

Again, by waiting, letting nature take it's course, you are not hurting your future design possibilities.

Once you decide how the deadwood should look, you can always carve later.

Good growth this year. I have a question... How do I know where the live vein starts and stops? The bark just 'ends'. I don't see any callusing and feel as though the remaining bark would peel off. There are bug marks under the bark on the edge but I dont want to peel too much off. The edge of the bark is pretty close to the branches.

Thanks

PSX_20211220_150336.jpgPSX_20211220_150251.jpgPSX_20211220_150237.jpgPSX_20211220_150213.jpg

Answering my own question... Started gently peeling away the old bark and found the live vein. Lots of little critters behind the bark so after cleaning it up I put some Lac Balsam on to protect it

Is now a good time to wire or wait until spring?
20211231_165505.jpg20211231_165440.jpg20211231_165524.jpg20211231_165546.jpg

Personally, I'd wait until spring and see what's still growing. Anyways, Happy New Years!

cheers
DSD sends

A huge thanks to all who have posted on this thread. I love this species and your comments and insight is just what I needed to inspire me and start my new year.

That looks really nice. You can at least prune and wire/design this June after the foliage hardens and you can just do the repot next year.

Back
Top Bottom