Beginner Japanese black pine issues and repotting

Same issues down here. All pine material is now prohibited to protect the softwood forestry industry. Even seed is now banned here.
I've planted a couple of JBP, JRP and a white pine in the paddock as seed producers so I can still grow some stock for sale.
It is possible to strike many pines as cuttings. Rates are not high but when that's the only option even low strike rates are welcome.

Same issues down here. All pine material is now prohibited to protect the softwood forestry industry. Even seed is now banned here.
I've planted a couple of JBP, JRP and a white pine in the paddock as seed producers so I can still grow some stock for sale.
It is possible to strike many pines as cuttings. Rates are not high but when that's the only option even low strike rates are welcome.
From what i can see (but this is not based on any kind of information) there doesn't seem to be any restrictions here on seeds yet.
So that's at least good, although i'm struggling to find a "trusted" supplier that delivers locally. Trying out a local one called seedsforafrica that have good reputation for local seeds, but i'm not sure about exotic/foreign seed.
Off the topic here slightly but what do you do for these japanese black pine cuttings to take? Do you use any specific equipment teranuim/heat mat?
I saw @SeanS had success with this as well, not something i would want to do frequently, one can only have so many trees, but might be useful for grafting material in the future. Although i probably need to get my cutting's technique pinned down before trying one of the hardest trees to get cuttings rooted.

It certainly helps to have sound knowledge of striking cuttings before trying real difficult species.
1 year shoots will strike better than older branches.
I use clonex red hormone (stronger/ hardwood formulation)
Don't have a heat mat so all my cuttings do it with ambient temps.
I do have auto misting on the cutting bed but you should be able to get some success with a bag/bottle/plastic tub to maintain high humidity.

Juvenile shoots strike quite easily. I can get closer to 100% strike rate with cuttings taken from young seedlings so I can get 2 or 3 or even 4 trees from one seed by taking cuttings as the seedlings grow. As a side benefit the original seedlings will have lots of low shoots that can be sacrifice branches to add taper to the trunk or as low branches for smaller pine bonsai.

Shibui, I know you have done some already, but I found this video a few weeks ago. The guy is in the Philippines so depending on the location the weather may be slightly similar to yours but definitely more humid. He says he had a high success rate. I'm definitely going to give it a try when I reduce my pines this spring.

Shibui, I know you have done some already, but I found this video a few weeks ago. The guy is in the Philippines so depending on the location the weather may be slightly similar to yours but definitely more humid. He says he had a high success rate. I'm definitely going to give it a try when I reduce my pines this spring.
Note that the cuttings in the video are all juvenile stage. look closely and you can see there's mostly just a single needle at each growing point. Very easy to get good rates with juvenile shoots. Maybe the tropical environment lets the trees stay juvenile for longer? I can sometimes get a flush of juvenile shoots after pruning younger trees hard, even if the tree itself has been producing adult needles pairs.

Note that the cuttings in the video are all juvenile stage. look closely and you can see there's mostly just a single needle at each growing point. Very easy to get good rates with juvenile shoots. Maybe the tropical environment lets the trees stay juvenile for longer? I can sometimes get a flush of juvenile shoots after pruning younger trees hard, even if the tree itself has been producing adult needles pairs.
I am watching a thread by bohne, he did partial candle pruning in June (northern hemisphere) and he end up with mostly juvenile shoots. Maybe something to think about for propagation in the event that pine cones become scarce.

Back
Top Bottom