Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm interested in this. I have some small BCs that overwintered alright here, will it need any protection from Michigan winters? Google says BC are hardy to zone 5 but I haven't seen many BC bonsai up here.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm interested in this. I have some small BCs that overwintered alright here, will it need any protection from Michigan winters? Google says BC are hardy to zone 5 but I haven't seen many BC bonsai up here.
I already have several of my trees in Michigan. It will need to be heeled in well for the winter.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you suggest burying the pot or cold frame?
Cold frame AND burying the pot. An enclosed space like a garage would work as well as long as it stays above 25 or so reliably.

BC can also be vulnerable in early spring, particularly if you get a warm spell that pushes them early. They can suffer catastrophic damage if you get a prolonged freeze in March or so and they've got green bud showing. Two stepping is mandatory sometimes. I've overwintered BC here in Va for years. Some have seen temps as low as -7 F in the depth of winter and have been fine. Lost one to a late hard freeze a few Aprils ago. Should have brought it inside the house for that cold spell.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Prepare for shipping Monday. Beautiful base revealed after top soil removal. Root development is solid.
IMG_1909.jpeg
IMG_1910.jpeg

Top Bottom