BALD CYPRESS

I see so may BC trees at Bonsai nurseries. We stopped in a regular nursery and we were surprised to see 5 ft. BC trees for sale for regular landscaping. 100.00 each, probably because Florida has more lakes than people realize. As more and more of Fl has been developed there are aren't many 'swamps' anymore. Those swamps have been cleaned up and are now used as lakes and water skiing etc... Can't ski in a swamp because of gators. Gators are everywhere but generally aren't a threat to people unless there are too many. People get rid of lots of indigenous trees they don't want and BC aren't often kept when new housing developments are built.

We do see some smaller ones but never a BC with such nice nebari. Sometimes the nebari will be on only one side of the tree which is just awkward.

Have never seen a weeping BC and I like everything about the tree. It's got it all and in a compact size. Just beautiful.

Thanks Katie. I used to live with my patents in Miami back when I was in school. I know well the dangers of gators everywhere. We lived near a canal and saw them there regularly along with large copperheads! Although not many BCs down there that I recall seeing? It may be too hot in Miami for them?

This little tree first caught my attention precisely because of its small size. It was grown from an air layer. Most of what is sold for bonsai are big collected monsters which although beautiful they are everywhere! There are cultivars for landscape use that are weeping. Owen Reich even said to me he has seen them in the wild naturally weeping as well. Mine is not and as such I have to train it to weep. A lot of work but I think worth it. Although I don't think I would want another one LOL!

This tree is far from "finished" but it has been progressing quite nicely. In the early spring it will get a significant cut back to keep improving the quality of the branch structure.

Florida’s swamps and marshes are beautiful.
some of the lakes are cool too.
mid you want to see cool nebari and some interesting Cypress the south side of Lake Istokpoga has some really beautiful trees a short paddle from the boat ramp. I posted a couple pics this fall.
further south there are some nice ones scattered in the marshes, and just north of Okeechobee the Taylor Creek STA is open to the public and has a small dome with some nice trees easily viewed from dry ground.

the image created is just phenomenal. I wondered also about the wall hanging and it almost looks digital in creation? I could be wrong and the image and wall hanging may just be that flawless. With that said though, digital, real, whatever, what Sergio, creates is pure magic on so many levels.

Love this tree so much of course, but with that wall hanging!!! Perfection. What or who's piece of art is that wonderful thing???

Thanks Katie. I used to live with my patents in Miami back when I was in school. I know well the dangers of gators everywhere. We lived near a canal and saw them there regularly along with large copperheads! Although not many BCs down there that I recall seeing? It may be too hot in Miami for them?

This little tree first caught my attention precisely because of its small size. It was grown from an air layer. Most of what is sold for bonsai are big collected monsters which although beautiful they are everywhere! There are cultivars for landscape use that are weeping. Owen Reich even said to me he has seen them in the wild naturally weeping as well. Mine is not and as such I have to train it to weep. A lot of work but I think worth it. Although I don't think I would want another one LOL!

This tree is far from "finished" but it has been progressing quite nicely. In the early spring it will get a significant cut back to keep improving the quality of the branch structure.
Mach5, there are lots of bald cypress in the Everglades. It used to be legal to collect there but now it's considered a Nat'l treasure. I do know people who collect there using a permit that I'm not sure is legal but they do it. Add diamondbacks and water moccasins to your list of common snakes near water here.

Can you share the name of the weeping cultivar? I've not heard of it or seen it. You chose a beautiful tree regardless.

Did you need to graft the nebari to the tree? Perhaps you already covered that..I'll reread the thread.

It would be interesting and helpful if you should ever care to share how you choose the various trees you select! We were at Schley's yesterday and talked to Jason for a long time and he's so helpful and interesting. I chose a small Caitlin elm but it's always interesting to hear what other people see in a younger tree.

Thank you for sharing your trees, they're an inspiration to lots of people.

the image created is just phenomenal. I wondered also about the wall hanging and it almost looks digital in creation? I could be wrong and the image and wall hanging may just be that flawless. With that said though, digital, real, whatever, what Sergio, creates is pure magic on so many levels.

Excellent eye Danny! It is indeed a digital creation. I painted it and digitally composed as a prototype for a possible future scroll that I will either paint of commission someone to make it. I wanted to play and tweak tradition and see what it resulted in. A very risky proposition. I think the great challenge in my opinion is keeping the visual hierarchy always favoring the tree itself. I see from time to time "creative" displays where the last thing I am focusing on is the bonsai itself! All good but then we maybe talking about something different... eg. installation art?? A whole different thread! :eek:

Love this tree so much of course, but with that wall hanging!!! Perfection. What or who's piece of art is that wonderful thing???

Thanks Juds! Your answer above! :)

Mach5, there are lots of bald cypress in the Everglades. It used to be legal to collect there but now it's considered a Nat'l treasure. I do know people who collect there using a permit that I'm not sure is legal but they do it. Add diamondbacks and water moccasins to your list of common snakes near water here.

Can you share the name of the weeping cultivar? I've not heard of it or seen it. You chose a beautiful tree regardless.

Did you need to graft the nebari to the tree? Perhaps you already covered that..I'll reread the thread.

It would be interesting and helpful if you should ever care to share how you choose the various trees you select! We were at Schley's yesterday and talked to Jason for a long time and he's so helpful and interesting. I chose a small Caitlin elm but it's always interesting to hear what other people see in a younger tree.

Thank you for sharing your trees, they're an inspiration to lots of people.

Katie, the original material was created by Martin Sweeny. Used to be a member here. You can't see it in the original photo but it already had a great base and the other reason, aside from its small size, I purchased it.

I did not know at the time I was going to make it into a weeping form. I had wired it into a more traditional informal upright at first but then the weeping form evolved from there. Eventually I felt that at that small size, it needed something a bit more "unique".

Mach5, I've reread this thread and you've done a great job of explaining why you bought it and what you did to create the tree as it is now.

At every workshop I go to there's at least one BC, (usually more) and the owners are 'stuck'. It seems like a time during the workshop when some people wander off to look in the nursery but I enjoy listening to the issues and what' suggested to create the tree these people want to see down the road. You'd be great at teaching a BC workshop.

As far as the person from Atlanta who doesn't think this tree looks natural?...Nature is incredibly diverse. We see palm trees growing at 90 degree angles for no reason at all. The oak tree on Mirai's website that shows huge branches growing just off the ground is a few miles from D&L nursery and there are lots of oaks like it in Fl. There's nothing natural about it yet that's how these trees are growing. The human form is incredibly diverse and so are trees. I prefer the unique and unusual to something I see all the time. It intrigues me.

This is a bald cypress that was collected in the Everglades a long time ago and has been in many shows and won its share of awards. It's impressive but not something I'd want to take care of. It's beautiful and looks exactly what you'd see in nature but I much prefer this weeping one.

How many inches has your BC grown in the 5 years you've owned it Sergio?

Attachments

• Bald cypress.jpg
    Bald cypress.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 147
Mach5, I've reread this thread and you've done a great job of explaining why you bought it and what you did to create the tree as it is now.

At every workshop I go to there's at least one BC, (usually more) and the owners are 'stuck'. It seems like a time during the workshop when some people wander off to look in the nursery but I enjoy listening to the issues and what' suggested to create the tree these people want to see down the road. You'd be great at teaching a BC workshop.

As far as the person from Atlanta who doesn't think this tree looks natural?...Nature is incredibly diverse. We see palm trees growing at 90 degree angles for no reason at all. The oak tree on Mirai's website that shows huge branches growing just off the ground is a few miles from D&L nursery and there are lots of oaks like it in Fl. There's nothing natural about it yet that's how these trees are growing. The human form is incredibly diverse and so are trees. I prefer the unique and unusual to something I see all the time. It intrigues me.

This is a bald cypress that was collected in the Everglades a long time ago and has been in many shows and won its share of awards. It's impressive but not something I'd want to take care of. It's beautiful and looks exactly what you'd see in nature but I much prefer this weeping one.

How many inches has your BC grown in the 5 years you've owned it Sergio?

That is a big one Katie! I like large trees myself but not sure I'd want to take care of that one either!

My BC has grown a lot in 5 years. I cannot exactly tell you how many inches but a lot as I have been pruning most of that growth off. A lot has gone into its ramification while maintaining its small size. As you probably already know they grow fast. Some years I also defoliate it much like I do with my deciduous bonsai with no issues whatsoever.

Absolutely breathtaking. My son and I went through this thread a number of times - the progress is just amazing.

As for "natural trees", those trees grow in nature not in a bonsai pot. We are developing representations of trees. And this representation is stunning.

Absolutely breathtaking. My son and I went through this thread a number of times - the progress is just amazing.

As for "natural trees", those trees grow in nature not in a bonsai pot. We are developing representations of trees. And this representation is stunning.

Thank you! This reminds me of an interesting subject I have discussed with others. The whole idea of accurate vs natural representation. I think that a natural representation of a tree in bonsai is far more important than how it accurately represents the species in nature. I personally do not like to put too much weight into it. Many of the bonsai I see do not even approach their natural counterparts in form. Most tridents, junipers, and a host of other species used for bonsai don't even come close to an accurate representation and I am perfectly fine with all of it.

Fabulous work! I love BC, I don't recall ever seeing one in weeping form, I wonder why cuz it looks so beautiful.

I posted a the above photo on a @MACH5 bald cypress thread and I've learned this is not a 'true' bald cypress. In fact it's not even a bald cypress.

The only way to get a bald cypress to weep is to try and wire it the way Sergio has done. I can't even imagine trying that but my point is the 'weeping BC' I posted is actually a:

Taxodium distichum 'Falling Waters'​

I went down the rabbit hole looking for information about this tree and learned it was brought over from France about 100 plus years ago and is used for landscaping purposes. You will never (as in NEVER) see this plant in a lake or swamp. In fact it's not even in a bald cypress but is in the cedar family.

I found a few bonsai trees that have used this plant as a bonsai that weeps but it's easy to get a tree to weep that's already weeping. I wish I hadn't posted it on Sergio's thread because it's a completely different animal and has no relation to a bald cypress being made to weep through wiring.

I posted a the above photo on a @MACH5 bald cypress thread and I've learned this is not a 'true' bald cypress. In fact it's not even a bald cypress.

The only way to get a bald cypress to weep is to try and wire it the way Sergio has done. I can't even imagine trying that but my point is the 'weeping BC' I posted is actually a:

Taxodium distichum 'Falling Waters'

I went down the rabbit hole looking for information about this tree and learned it was brought over from France about 100 plus years ago and is used for landscaping purposes. You will never (as in NEVER) see this plant in a lake or swamp. In fact it's not even in a bald cypress but is in the cedar family.

I found a few bonsai trees that have used this plant as a bonsai that weeps but it's easy to get a tree to weep that's already weeping. I wish I hadn't posted it on Sergio's thread because it's a completely different animal and has no relation to a bald cypress being made to weep through wiring.
That is indeed a bald cypress. Just a variant that weeps. It began as either randomly mutated plant or an induced mutation with irradiated seeds.

Yes, it's a bald cypress, just the one that weeps. I found conflicting information on it but I suspect you're right regarding it being randomly mutated.

Found this:
Cascade Falls' is a compact weeping form that typically grows to 8-12' tall over the first 10-15 years, eventually maturing to as much as 20' tall. It was discovered growing on the bank of a lake on cultivated property in Albany, Auckland, New Zealand. Branches hang outward and then plunge vertically toward the ground. This cultivar does not produce viable seed. U.S. Plant Patent PP12,296 was issued on December 18, 2001.

As far as bonsai's concerned, it's the only BC that naturally weeps and the photo I posted was of a naturally weeping bald cypress.

Yes, it's a bald cypress, just the one that weeps. I found conflicting information on it but I suspect you're right regarding it being randomly mutated.

Found this:
Cascade Falls' is a compact weeping form that typically grows to 8-12' tall over the first 10-15 years, eventually maturing to as much as 20' tall. It was discovered growing on the bank of a lake on cultivated property in Albany, Auckland, New Zealand. Branches hang outward and then plunge vertically toward the ground. This cultivar does not produce viable seed. U.S. Plant Patent PP12,296 was issued on December 18, 2001.

As far as bonsai's concerned, it's the only BC that naturally weeps and the photo I posted was of a naturally weeping bald cypress.
Speaking of natural mutations, I have been watching a BC at work (a site of thousands of acres) that I think may be a natural mutation leading to very compact foliage. It reminds me of foliage that I have seen in other conifers with a "witches' broom" growth but this is throughout the whole tree. I noticed it last year and I am waiting for its spring wake-up to see if the foliage stays that way or was just a fluke due to environmental conditions last year.

Speaking of natural mutations, I have been watching a BC at work (a site of thousands of acres) that I think may be a natural mutation leading to very compact foliage. It reminds me of foliage that I have seen in other conifers with a "witches' broom" growth but this is throughout the whole tree. I noticed it last year and I am waiting for its spring wake-up to see if the foliage stays that way or was just a fluke due to environmental conditions last year.
Sounds like a Pond Cypress to me.

There are several varieties (cultivars) of BC available in nurseries, some dwarf, others weeping. Check out the cultivars section here:

I've repeatedly run across Cascade Falls and Peve Minaret (both classified as dwarf cultivars of the species) at nurseries in the N. Va. area. Shawnee Brave is also not uncommon...

Also FWIW, there is cross-over between Pond cypress and Bald cypress. I've noticed over the years that Bald cypress collected in Fla. mostly have awl-shaped leaves (like pond cypress), while trees collected in the Northern Gulf Coast in La. tend to have feather like foliage (mostly typical of BC). I've seen some trees with both...

Reactions: Vin
Back
Top Bottom