rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m going back with a pair of muck boots and finding one with as much buttressing as possible.
How wide is a desirable base? There are hundreds of trees and some really cool/weird stuff like a double tree one large and one snaking around the larger to the point it’s become part of the main trunk.

I’d really appreciate a guide or opinions on desired sizing
you can get a trunk as big as your waist if you want. All depends on how much you can physically lift/manage. You will have to lug whatever you dig back to your vehicle. Additionally you will also have to have a container to put it in. While that container will be plastic wood, etc. eventually you will probably want to get it into a proper bonsai pot. BIG bonsai pots are VERY expensive and not all that easy to find. Also you will have to lift the tree and container to perform maintenance throughout it's life. BIG pots can weigh over 50 lbs by themselves. Add in 200 lbs of soil and pot and well, hope you have good health insurance...

By and large, BC between 6-12" at ground level have enough buttressing and character to collect. You're looking at only the first three feet of trunk. Ignore the rest of the tree--it's going to be chopped off. If there is character in the first three to four feet, it's worth collecting for the most part. SKIP THE WEIRD LOOKING TREES. Look for natural looking trunks. Weird is not all that great. It's just weird and will be weird for a very very long time. Natural looking trunks are the best bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Okay, went back today and after doing a thorough search settled on this guy. What does everyone think, after collecting it with a corona saw I’m hoping it’s better. @Cajunrider

Attachments

• IMG_8103.jpeg
    IMG_8103.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8111.jpeg
    IMG_8111.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8116.jpeg
    IMG_8116.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8118.jpeg
    IMG_8118.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8117.jpeg
    IMG_8117.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8121.jpeg
    IMG_8121.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 81
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
you can get a trunk as big as your waist if you want. All depends on how much you can physically lift/manage. You will have to lug whatever you dig back to your vehicle. Additionally you will also have to have a container to put it in. While that container will be plastic wood, etc. eventually you will probably want to get it into a proper bonsai pot. BIG bonsai pots are VERY expensive and not all that easy to find. Also you will have to lift the tree and container to perform maintenance throughout it's life. BIG pots can weigh over 50 lbs by themselves. Add in 200 lbs of soil and pot and well, hope you have good health insurance...

By and large, BC between 6-12" at ground level have enough buttressing and character to collect. You're looking at only the first three feet of trunk. Ignore the rest of the tree--it's going to be chopped off. If there is character in the first three to four feet, it's worth collecting for the most part. SKIP THE WEIRD LOOKING TREES. Look for natural looking trunks. Weird is not all that great. It's just weird and will be weird for a very very long time. Natural looking trunks are the best bonsai.
Thank you! I was seriously considering a ‘weird tree’ until reading this comment and changing my mind. Settled on the one above today, it’s a little over 2ft at the base.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thank you! Very happy to hear this.
Collecting it took far longer than expected and I have to be at work in an hour, is it mandatory to get it in a pot tonight or what should I do? I did stop on the way home and buy one for it
Just dunk it in water and wait til tomorrow.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I was told to use 80/20 sphagnum moss and mushroom compost, seems to be working well for my other tree.

I watched a video from Wigerts and he recommended potting soil/pine chips for the first year.

I have the option to do either with the new tree, which would everyone recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_8130.jpeg
    IMG_8130.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8129.jpeg
    IMG_8129.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 57
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Okay, got it potted.

Regarding the trunk chop wound, should I cover it with titebond 3 wood glue or leave it alone?

Attachments

• IMG_8135.jpeg
    IMG_8135.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 83
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I have been hearing conflicting information regarding leaving them in the sun or shade after the transfer.

One of my BC is shooting buds but I still have it in the shade, should I move it into the sun or leave it alone?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So I have been hearing conflicting information regarding leaving them in the sun or shade after the transfer.

One of my BC is shooting buds but I still have it in the shade, should I move it into the sun or leave it alone?
What you want is a spot with morning sun for about 3 hours every day.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would definitely protect it, been a collected tee. Seedlings and nursery trees root pruned at the correct time I don't. As there is no leaves out yet and the bare trunks are already used to full sun when worked. I kinda treat them like JBP and place them in full sun.

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Congratulations! Getting one with a knee is the envy of BC lovers. I've collected a few here in FL as well and I have nothing more to add to the solid advice you're getting here. Bravo.

I'm in Tampa Bay area. If you want some "help" digging a few more and you're in the area, let me know! We can fill my truck up. Leave one for me is all I ask!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I checked my phone to see how long ago I got the first BC that is now budding, it’s been 3 weeks and seems like it’s taking.

The new and much larger one has only been in the pot for 4 days but I do see small white roots and larger roots are seated in the dirt.

My questions are do you guys think covering the tree with a tarp would be as good as putting it in shade? Having a hard time finding a spot in my yard that only gets sun in the morning but do have a chicken tractor I could use as a shade tent.

Also, I was watering the tree this morning and while looking for root growth started wondering if I should add more soil. I really want this tree to take but also don’t want to motivate root growth on what I’d like exposed.

I’ve added pictures of it currently and where the soil line was when collected. Concerned it may be too drastic a difference

Attachments

• IMG_8201.jpeg
    IMG_8201.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8200.jpeg
    IMG_8200.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8166.jpeg
    IMG_8166.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8100.jpeg
    IMG_8100.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8108.jpeg
    IMG_8108.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Congratulations! Getting one with a knee is the envy of BC lovers. I've collected a few here in FL as well and I have nothing more to add to the solid advice you're getting here. Bravo.

I'm in Tampa Bay area. If you want some "help" digging a few more and you're in the area, let me know! We can fill my truck up. Leave one for me is all I ask!
Thank you! BC are my favorite tree and this site along with @Cajunrider have been a huge help in getting started with them. It also motivated me to join the local bonsai club, my first meeting is in a few days at Selby Gardens.

I’m in Sarasota and that sounds great.
I’m friends with/have worked with a good amount of farmers and landowners who own swampland with BC, I’ve started reaching out to them and asking if I can collect trees. Many are happy to let me pull a few so I’ve started making a list/map.
I want one more before dormancy ends and so does my younger brother but not sure how much time we have.

If there’s enough interest I’m open to collecting BC for sale. I was thinking about it and could gps mark cool trees and take pictures, if someone wants it I’d pull it for them. If this ends up happening I’ll be out there more often and we could meet up.

Top Bottom