Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello again from South Florida, I collected a bald cypress today from swamp property a friend owns. I’m new to bonsai and only have one other tree so far, a black olive.
I watched videos regarding repotting after wild collection and tried to follow their examples.

My soil is a mix of 80/20 sphagnum peat moss and mushroom compost.

I cleaned up the root ball but didn’t bare root it as I was getting mixed info on that.

Excited to see how it does and hopeful it survives.
Any tips are appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7636.jpeg
    IMG_7636.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_7656.jpeg
    IMG_7656.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7652.jpeg
    IMG_7652.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7648.jpeg
    IMG_7648.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7636.jpeg
    IMG_7636.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7656.jpeg
    IMG_7656.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7653.jpeg
    IMG_7653.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7648.jpeg
    IMG_7648.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 78

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's a post I have saved with some sketches on how to transition the top of bald cypress.

The key takeaway for now is to sit back and relax for at least a year while new shoots develop up top.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here’s another good thread full of good bald cypress information

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Unrelated but I found this in the same swamp today while looking for moss. Anyone have only idea what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_7632.jpeg
    IMG_7632.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 108
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So, after watching more videos I’m concerned I didn’t cut enough of the root ball back before repotting.
It’s only been a day, do you think pulling it out to trim the roots more is worth the shock?
I left a pretty big section originally, didn’t bare root it just trimmed the taproot and hosed it down. Will add a picture

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would just let this tree grow for a few years, feed it heavily and if tolerated keep it in water for as long as possible. I understand the urge to collect trees, but this was but a youngling and needed a few more years in the swamps before becoming something collectable. Check the thread that @19Mateo83 posted above, and the collection thread that @Cajunrider created as well to see the kind of material that makes it desirable to collect.

Here is also a bunch of threads from @Mellow Mullet about building BCs/

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello again from South Florida, I collected a bald cypress today from swamp property a friend owns. I’m new to bonsai and only have one other tree so far, a black olive.
I watched videos regarding repotting after wild collection and tried to follow their examples.

My soil is a mix of 80/20 sphagnum peat moss and mushroom compost.

I cleaned up the root ball but didn’t bare root it as I was getting mixed info on that.

Excited to see how it does and hopeful it survives.
Any tips are appreciated!
You have collected a rather young tree. It has not had a chance to develop any buttresses. I am sure there are bigger trees in that property that you can collect, go back there and look for bigger ones.

If it were me, I would make the root ball of the tree a little shallower. I would whack at least 2" off the bottom. As it is right now, any root growth will result in a tree with at least a 7" high root ball. That is way too high for a BC bonsai of that size.

Keep the tree in an area where it only gets about 3 hours of morning sun for the next two months.

Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would just let this tree grow for a few years, feed it heavily and if tolerated keep it in water for as long as possible. I understand the urge to collect trees, but this was but a youngling and needed a few more years in the swamps before becoming something collectable. Check the thread that @19Mateo83 posted above, and the collection thread that @Cajunrider created as well to see the kind of material that makes it desirable to collect.

Here is also a bunch of threads from @Mellow Mullet about building BCs/
Thank you for the advice and link, I’m going to read though that tonight.
There are much bigger ones on the property but they weren’t submerged. Apparently I was also underestimating the sought after size, the bases of the larger tree are probably a foot or larger in diameter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You have collected a rather young tree. It has not had a chance to develop any buttresses. I am sure there are bigger trees in that property that you can collect, go back there and look for bigger ones.

If it were me, I would make the root ball of the tree a little shallower. I would whack at least 2" off the bottom. As it is right now, any root growth will result in a tree with at least a 7" high root ball. That is way too high for a BC bonsai of that size.

Keep the tree in an area where it only gets about 3 hours of morning sun for the next two months.

Good luck!
Will do! Glad you told me because I had it in full sun today but did water it morning and afternoon.
I also plan to trim the root ball down just was concerned about shocking it again. Thank you

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I found and was granted access to collect another BC from a 2 acre private swamp property that is covered in trees.
I went today and scouted/took pictures of the best options I’ve found there so far. Do these look better @Cajunrider ?

Attachments

• IMG_7921.jpeg
    IMG_7921.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7927.png
    IMG_7927.png
    502.7 KB · Views: 83
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m going back with a pair of muck boots and finding one with as much buttressing as possible.
How wide is a desirable base? There are hundreds of trees and some really cool/weird stuff like a double tree one large and one snaking around the larger to the point it’s become part of the main trunk.

I’d really appreciate a guide or opinions on desired sizing

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So I found and was granted access to collect another BC from a 2 acre private swamp property that is covered in trees.
I went today and scouted/took pictures of the best options I’ve found there so far. Do these look better @Cajunrider ?
Much better but keep looking.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Also a question regarding the trunk chop wound, I read in another post that people cover it with titebond 3 wood glue. Should I do this?

Top Bottom