Backyardori Goji, First attempt!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Feb. was a really mild month this year, so I thought what the heck, let's get at them gojis in the yard. It was the spur of the moment thing even thought I knew I should have waited. Buds were popping and about to leaf out so I went ahead and grabbed the trusty spade and my bare two hands. This was after work around 6pm.

After some exploratory digging to see what the first 3in looks like under there, it appears they have some really spars roots. Similar to ginseng from what I remembered (kicking myself for not taking pics of the dig). After a foot down, there don't seem to be end in sight of the goddamn huge tap root. I tell you the tap root is pretty much an extension of the trunk at the base and extend FAR down. So I did what some newbs do and put some muscle on the spade. One smack and it lost probly 95% of its roots. Thinking back now I'm like, WTF did I do that for! The where hardly any lateral roots at all. Just that gigantic carrot of a tap root. I wanted to collect 2 but ended up with 4, maybe 5. Since they grew so close together, I was digging up 2 at a time instead of what I thought was 1.

I was like eh, just test materials anyways. So straight they go into pure unadulterated unsifted 8822. Yup unsifted!

It is now a month from collection and they're growing like they're thanking me for freeing them of their big ass foot lol

Group photo! The roots are all withing 1/2" from the bottom of the pot for reference. Calendar, pint and 2 "Virgoro" pots
Group1_zpszuexf2w0.jpg

This was the second one(s) I dug up. I'm showing this first cause it's the only one I have a before pic. Kicking myself some more for not taking more pics!
Goji1.1_zpsuklnefyh.jpg

Goji1.3_zpsv8p9dwrx.jpg

And this is how it is today. I'm hoping this is not the dreaded death growth. Even the small ones pop buds like crazy.
Goji1.4_zpsk6uv8272.jpg

Goji1.6_zpsvynu7j9t.jpg

Top view. Trying to capture insane amount of buds.
Goji1.7_zpsvtnnf9ei.jpg

This twin trunk I thought was part of the one above. Looks promising actually.
Goji2.1_zpsm05ohebb.jpg

Back side reveals a sucker going through some rough times. But is a fighter judging from them new growth.
Goji2.2_zpsap5y0ht2.jpg

Nothing special with this one besides the dead wood (hard to see due to crappy over exposure). This one got knocked over by strong winds and half of the roots exposed overnight. Still not dead! These suckers don't go out without a fight that's for sure. This and the one below was the first I dug up. And also with shortest tap roots about 3"-5".
Goji3.1_zpsljbavgtq.jpg

The only on in a calendar. Top part of main trunk was hacked to death awhile back it appears.
Goji4.1_zpswqppnfqp.jpg

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Another shot of the first one. They all pretty much grow like this.
1Buds_zpsrsuzxkqo.jpg

When the shoots extend over 2", the leaves elongate and look mature before they unfurl.
1Leaves_zpsq50irnah.jpg

Saw these at HD and the leaves are different. Must be the other kind of goji?
1Different_zpspa6gkhvm.jpg

While I'm not sure how these guys will fair, I certainly learned some things.

1st - If you want to dig off season, be prepare to shuffle them in and out. Since the roots are now exposed.
2nd - Don't take short cuts when it comes to chopping roots (unless you know the species can handle it). I knew nothing about collecting goji and went ahead with chopping most of the tap root. Not gonna happen next time around.
3rd - Sift the god dang 8822. Give it something good to grow on. Not saying unsifted is gonna kill them. But they might grow better if particle sizes are more uniform and larger. Maybe.. I think...

Next up in a couple weeks will be the 4 privets and a Hibiscus Syriacus I collected in the middle of January!

Last edited:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ok , so Photobucket is pooping on people :mad:. Anyways, updates!

I'm admitting I've been neglecting these Gojis the whole summer. Even when I saw beat up leaves on the entire plant :oops:. Up till about 2 weeks ago, I decided they are going to die if I leave it near the Hazel Alder on the grow bed. I defoliated almost the entire plant and eventually fully defoliate. The leaves where all covered in galls and discolored. It was a bad situation.

First up is this little twin trunk. starting to get a bit bigger at the base. But trunks are only a tad larger than a pencil. The roots on all of them escaped the pot. This one I cut off all the escaped roots; and 2 weeks later it's growing again. This one might not make flowers this year. I just noticed black spots under them leaves. Will inspect tomorrow morning!
Goji5.1.jpg Goji5.2.jpg Goji5.3.jpg

Next is the ugly reverse taper. This one I kept some leaves for a bit as it was still green, but later pinched all off too. Assuming it will live next year I will keep all the lower shoots to thiken up the bottom. This one will be flowering even after all it went through. I did not cut the escape roots on this one. I salvaged as much of them roots as possible and put the colander on top of a cut pot filled with soil amendment.
Goji6.1.jpg Goji6.2.jpg

I really like this group. I think the middle and right might be joined lower down but the left is on its own. But I really like the placement they're in. Got some good movements too. Middle and one have flower buds. And just today I see flowers buds on the right one too. It grew that overnight because I check on them every day, morning and evening. This group is possibly my favorite of the bunch. I cut the escape roots on these ones. I regretted it as soon as I cut it as I like them. Luckily They are OK with it I think.
Goji7.1.jpg Goji7.2.jpg

Last but not least is big boy. This one looked the worst of the bunch. Leaves where just decimated. Looked like bugs and/or fungus ravaged the whole plant. This one I defoliated completely in one go. And It responded positively almost right away. Within 3-4 days it popped new buds. And then it popped everywhere again. This one was the first to show sign of new life and first to flower. And It's making a whole lotta flower buds! I'm gonna try my hand at ground layering next year. I have hope for these as they seem to either grow roots or leaves anywhere.
Goji8.1.jpg Goji8.2.jpg

I failed to mention that during my collection on all of these I didn't pick up one single feeder roots. Not even one :eek:!. After seeing the escaped feeders, I realized when I dug these up earlier in the year they all have just one giant tap root and 2 or 3 biggish roots. No little feeders at all. 8-10 inches under apparently wasn't deep enough. And I was brutal with the dig. Used the spade to cut through them little guys instead of a sharp knife. Thinking back now, it's almost like I was rooting a bunch of cuttings. My "Chicken Broccoli" CM was a trooper but these Gojis might be a whole lot more resilient! But, I'm gonna make sure they stay healthy this time.

Top Bottom