August's Aberrant Assemblage

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This will be a collective progression thread for my more unusual projects, mostly succulents and "nonsai". Stay tuned!

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put my first touches on a Begonia dregei today. Here's a picture in its untouched condition:

20230713_102642.jpg

I saw a chance for decent movement and took off the furthest left "branch". Putty simply to prevent it from shrinking, as you can see the inside is pretty vascular, almost see-through. I actually accidentally snapped off that right branch when testing how well they bend. The answer is: not very well.

20230713_103339.jpg20230713_103454.jpg

A better view of the caudex and "front" in the light. I've read that stem cuttings root well and dont form a caudex, so I'm going to experiment with that.

20230713_103743.jpg20230713_103634.jpg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is a really nice change you made! That thing looks like it swells up nicely. Do you think you'll try for a mid height sacrifice branch to even out the taper?

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a really nice change you made! That thing looks like it swells up nicely. Do you think you'll try for a mid height sacrifice branch to even out the taper?
Might be worth considering. Most of the caudiciforms seem less inclined to the rules of taper that trees follow; they seem to bulge and taper as they please. I've been following Nigel Saunders' crown of thorns for a while and he notes that they tend to smooth out their bulges as they grow, over time, at least for that species in particular.

Im guessing this has to do with the lack of wood, as in they don't lignify, and as such are more "fluid" than plants with wood, which have heartwood and bark (parts of their structure that are not alive kinda like toenails and hair for us). I'm guessing that, being succulent, they can move water around their structure in whatever way they see fit.

I probably butchered that hypothesis someone please correct me if you understand this better.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
caudiciforms
I knew nothing of this family until today! Given that one of the names for these is "fat bottomed plants" I'd say that you're quite right. It seems that that big bulgy part is technically roots?
m guessing this has to do with the lack of wood, as in they don't lignify, and as such are more "fluid" than plants with wood
this sounds very similar to how palm trees work. fascinating! it seems like you have to operate under different horticultural rules with these things, and possibly different design rules as well. what's the growth rate on this tree like?

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it seems like you have to operate under different horticultural rules with these things, and possibly different design rules as well. what's the growth rate on this tree like?

Im not sure yet, I just picked it up last week!

Thats part of my interest in doing this kind of training work on succulents, it likely will follow a different set of horticultural rules that will need to be learned and tested. Most "collectors" are only interested in growth, growth, growth. Which is fair! Some of the specimens I've seen in succulent shows are ancient looking and huge. But there are few who do any sort of artistic "training" from what I can tell. Ive seen a couple people start to dip their toes into root-over rock cactus. But for the most part its just "let it grow" (besides the bonsai people who grow crassula/ports/adenium etc.)

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something of a nonsai chile, some kind of thai chili, I think with "dragon" in its name. Whatever the variety was I knew I wanted to experiment with putting a lot of bends in the trunk and the dragon idea influenced that.20230806_165141.jpg

Prined a few branches that were doubling up but otherwise letting it grow, I want that trunk to keep thickening up. I should have taken a picture when I did it; it has already wooded up quite fast. Leaves are quite small so I dont think it will need much bulk to look really nice20230806_165200.jpg20230806_165335.jpg

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Begonia dregei died; probably a watering issue. This birds eye chili is looking lovely in it's winter digs20231106_174136.jpg20231106_174130.jpg

Attachments

• 20231106_174130.jpg
    20231106_174130.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 0

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picked up a weird one today, exposed root Aloinopsis schooneesii. Found at my favorite local succulent nursery, had a nice chat with a friend there about succulents as bonsai.20231120_100732.jpg20231120_100744.jpg
Can't wait to move this into a smaller pot!

Top Bottom