Assistance with an ID

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me ID this tree. There are a few volunteers in my garden area. I was initially thinking it was an american elm, but the leaf base seems too wide. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2014-05-15 18.12.56.jpg
    2014-05-15 18.12.56.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 2014-05-29 16.44.23.jpg
    2014-05-29 16.44.23.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 115

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Could be any one of several trees. Elm, Cottonwood, Aspen or Alder.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking a young birch. What kind of trees are growing around you. A lot of trees look different when young compared to mature examples.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I was thinking a young birch. What kind of trees are growing around you. A lot of trees look different when young compared to mature examples.

I have several species growing around the area, cottonwoods, ash, linden, elm, dawny hawthorn, locust, oak, plus several species of fruit. Its a residential area so anything and everything has been planted.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Check the heavier roots near the surface. I also suspect it is a Mulberry and the roots are usually Orange. Some have said theirs are Yellow but I have never seen other then Orange.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check the heavier roots near the surface. I also suspect it is a Mulberry and the roots are usually Orange. Some have said theirs are Yellow but I have never seen other then Orange.

Grimmy

Isn't the wood either yellow or orange also? I cut a bunch down in Indiana and seem to remember that the stumps were orange also. Also on a side note if you throw the berries at someone they leave a cool purple stain on them.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Isn't the wood either yellow or orange also? I cut a bunch down in Indiana and seem to remember that the stumps were orange also. Also on a side note if you throw the berries at someone they leave a cool purple stain on them.

Yeah there are a couple pictures in this thread one of some root, the leaf seems to match as well http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?15264-Mulberry-Root-Question. At the last house we had a large one that the Catbirds used to deposit berry drippings on the fence in my Avatar :p Once a week, hose and broom to the fence. I do not miss it :rolleyes:

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought so. Yeah the birds love the berries. All of the mulberry trees we removed were under the power lines and the seeds more than likely fell out of birds sitting on the wires.
The reason I ask is in the second picture it looks like the wood is white at the cut.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The reason I ask is in the second picture it looks like the wood is white at the cut.

My guess on that is that picture is probably an older tree. I was told that as I work the roots and bring them up to the surface and they mature they harden off to a "normal" color. The Huge one at the old place actually had a very dark grey rough bark. Mine is only two years old. I do not have them anymore but I am pretty certain the Black Cherry was similar.

Grimmy

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the help folks. Ill look at the roots when I get a chance. That cut is old, from last fall. Looking at the pictures online it very well could be a mulberry.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I gotta look at the roots, they are a creamy yellow not orange.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I gotta look at the roots, they are a creamy yellow not orange.

Some are yellow, there are a few cultivars. I have never seen yellow but people mentioned here that there are some that do.

Grimmy

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I play?

I'll guess Rose Of Sharon.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I have several volunteers in the yard, but I have never seen any blossoms.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
So I feel like an idiot. I found a mulberry tree, and it was in my yard. Ive been here over a year and never noticed it growing between my spruce trees.

Thanks everyone for the help on the ID. This one is definitely a mulberry.

Top Bottom