Anyone want to do a barberry contest?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over 40 years back I was the tree department supervisor for Merrifield Garden Center. Early spring, actually late winter, someone let it out that a truckload of wintergreen barberry were arriving the next day. Half the labor force didn't show up. It was agonizing.
Short of it is NO!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here a nice one, now passed. The photo is from later in summer, but it was a Crimson Pygmy. This enchanted forest was rescued just-in-time from a road widening project. They are hard to keep long term because (I speculate) the wood is not long lived and must be chased with new growth to keep them vital.
Awarded Expert 3rd Crimson Pygmy Enchanted Forest Bill Struhar.JPG
And another 'Bagatelle' Barberry...
Bagatelle Barberry.JPG

Reaction score
Sure... Here’s my candidate...lol. My one and only Barberry.

View attachment 322541
Do you still have this? I have a yardadori with an almost identical trunk that I'm in love with, but I don't know much about this species. Difficult to keep? They seem difficult to ramify without hedge cutting. Any wisdom to share?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love my barberry, but I’ve only kept them for about 3 or 4 years, so grain of salt here…
I understand the difficulty in keeping them long term is each shoot produces a limited supply of dormant buds. So, when pruning back, you can only do it so many times before the developed branch runs out of options and must be grown out and the new growth kept. This is not so much a problem as it is a challenge to continuously re-design the tree and plan for replacement growth. Not to mention those god-awful thorns! This may be taboo but I remove the thorns every winter 😂

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any wisdom to share?
Start up a thread with some pictures! I have a few barberry I'm playing around with, including a pretty chonky lil guy (once I cut it back) that I picked up recently.

So is anyone up for a barberry contest now? 😜 it's about spooky season, so what's a better way to get in the spirit than having your hands covered in blood?
may be taboo
Pretty common practice, or so I've seen with various prickly species. I personally like my trees with a lil bite to em, here's a couple thorns on my firethorn
IMG_20230915_084158374_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom