Anyone have any hazel bonsai experience?

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey guys,

There is a wicked hazel tree by my parents place I'm hoping to collect next spring. Wondering if anyone has any experience working with collected hazels and the pros and cons of them? Apparently the leaves are difficult to reduce?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey guys,

There is a wicked hazel tree by my parents place I'm hoping to collect next spring. Wondering if anyone has any experience working with collected hazels and the pros and cons of them? Apparently the leaves are difficult to reduce?
Hazel nut? Witch Hazel?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a feeling he is talking about the other hazel. I have one to and are wondering the same thing. The leaves are huge...not sure if its worthwhile continuing with it as bonsai.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a feeling he is talking about the other hazel. I have one to and are wondering the same thing. The leaves are huge...not sure if its worthwhile continuing with it as bonsai.
Yeah probably. I think he went to bed.
Hey @fredman what time is it there?

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yeah probably. I think he went to bed.
Hey @fredman what time is it there?
Yeah i definitely went to bed haha not witch hazel but in my case I believe it to be common hazel native to Canada. It has a similar leaf to a Canadian hawthorn or American elm but it feels "thinner" than the leaf of an American elm.

I've been reading that they can be problematic to reduce the leaves on but the trunk on this thing is making me swoon. Wish I took pictures to show you guys but it's now 5 hours away from me :(

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Is hazel one of the common names for Alnus here or in Slovakia? Nice trees on the link posted from Petegreg, great bonsai nursery.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is hazel one of the common names for Alnus here or in Slovakia? Nice trees on the link posted from Petegreg, great bonsai nursery.

It's a German nursery I always find
species in when I cannot find them closer. And no , hazel is English name.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You mean the one with giant leaves? It's hard to make a small bonsai with it, you have pics?

Top Bottom