Anybody ever try coco plum?

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
I picked one up at home depot with the idea of trying to grow it as bonsai because it seems to have a variety of nice features. After a bit of googling I'm turning up very little information regarding it's use as a bonsai subject. Have read anything that suggest it would make a poor subject, so I'm a little confused.

Have any of you ever tried growing one as bonsai?

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysobalanus_icaco

In Trinidad it is called - Fat Pork.

We have a test subject, but need three more years for reports on results.
Grows as a shrub on our seashores.
Try for a large 3" trunk first.
Good Day
Anthony

Unfortunately, the one I bought has a bad root system. I pruned it hard and put it in a pond basket to recover. Hopefully it survives. I made several cuttings that I hope will take too.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I picked one up at home depot with the idea of trying to grow it as bonsai because it seems to have a variety of nice features. After a bit of googling I'm turning up very little information regarding it's use as a bonsai subject. Have read anything that suggest it would make a poor subject, so I'm a little confused.

Have any of you ever tried growing one as bonsai?

Hi

I just bought one too, but the one I meant to buy was the Suriname cherry. Now, I have to keep it because they didn't have the Suriname cherry any way, but I don't mind because it has a good shape anyway. Did your cocoplum grow? How is it doing?

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi

I just bought one too, but the one I meant to buy was the Suriname cherry. Now, I have to keep it because they didn't have the Suriname cherry any way, but I don't mind because it has a good shape anyway. Did your cocoplum grow? How is it doing?

I tried to repot it and it died.

tree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I tried to repot it and it died.

It's been 3 weeks now and I hard pruned it. Now I'm waiting for any new growth but so far nothing.

I'm having much better luck with hibiscus. I simply bought 3 juveniles planted together in a $5 plant from the nursery. They are sprouting like crazy with just 4 morning hours of sun. I warn you, they went through an adjustment period of about 2-3 weeks (all droopy and seemed like dying), but after that they began growing like crazy and even bloomed. If you try them, you can hard prune them but always leave a couple of leaves because these will be your indicators for when the plant begins to recover (after 2-3 weeks). I have them in regular pots for fattening the trunk and they have to be watered at least twice daily during the adjustment phase.

Top Bottom