Any thoughts on growing mini jade as bonsai?

I like this group! May I ask, How long do u let cuttings this size callus before sticking em in soil?

Thank you .
I cut the branches to the desired length (I like the shohin size or a little bigger), and I place them directly as soon as they are cut, in small groups in the same draining substrate as my other trees.

At first I use a pot that is a little deeper and narrow, because there is no root, this helps keep them still.

After a while, the roots come out, and will weld together, I can then put them back in pots a little less deep than at the beginning, Crassula do not need deep pots.

Another small group

20200725_193619.jpg

Referring to mine or someone else's?
Everyone’s. 😁.
Just wondering because I’ve heard that -at least for bigger cuttings- you want to let them callus over before potting, to prevent rot.
Larger the cutting, longer till callus.
Not true?

Can't speak to larger=longer, but I do let mine callus over first. I've always thought of jade as being among the category of pretty tough and quite forgiving plants in terms of the level of care really needed (at least from an ordinary houseplant perspective). I'm not sure whether or not that's the case when trying to do it as a neatly trimmed and shaped bonsai. After fretting over my fukien the past few years, I need to delve into something much easier.

I determined there is about 1/4" to go through. The inside (bottom) of the pot curves up compared to the bottom, so measuring the two distances showed how thick it is. A flat bottom (and thinner) would be easier. I don't get a great feeling about it and really would be sorry to break it. There are depressions from the inside that go down into each of the 4 legs, so I considered maybe trying to drill through them, but that might not go well either. Supporting the bottom is a great idea.
No, you're doing it the hard way and most likely will fail. Don't use drill bits, pay ~$13 for the set of boring bits from Harbor Freight and put the pot in a pan of water so you are keeping the boring bit under water until it goes through. That keeps the bit cool and will make lots of holes until it gets hot once and then it goes dull. Start from the class A side which look better than the far side of the hole. The biggest problem will be keeping the drill vertical and in the same place without wobble. Easy to do on a drill press. Do not press down, just hold the drill in place. Run the drill slowly at first to create a grove for the boring bit to follow for the rest of the passage. There's nothing to it once you understand that you guide, not force your way through.

I tried with both a carbide bit and regular - neither makes a dent in it. Must have drilled for 10 minutes and the most I get is a depression you can barely see. I'll probably just choose a different pot.

I tried with both a carbide bit and regular - neither makes a dent in it. Must have drilled for 10 minutes and the most I get is a depression you can barely see. I'll probably just choose a different pot.
Perhaps better that way. I bet u can find a production Bonsai pot for around the same $ as a nice drill bit.

In my indoor area.. Jade cuttings will root in mid-air.... no effort AT all!

As long as there is enough humidity in the air, the roots will try to “find it”.. 🤓

I only have a couple small jades that i am growing for this purpose..

Two taken from small broken branches in a florist’s shop.. what do you want for NOTHIN’? 🤣
9EE2D2C1-8A9D-4B02-BCB3-98123B08CDAB.jpeg919AEA12-F989-44D6-993C-B8358DEEE217.jpeg

Cuttings have now been sitting for two weeks...time to plant them? They are in a sunroom that gets pretty hot even with the windows open. At this point a few are starting to show signs of lack of water. I was waiting for a few roots to develop on them (sometimes they do) but figure I can't wait much longer to get them back in ground.

Cuttings have now been sitting for two weeks...time to plant them? They are in a sunroom that gets pretty hot even with the windows open. At this point a few are starting to show signs of lack of water. I was waiting for a few roots to develop on them (sometimes they do) but figure I can't wait much longer to get them back in ground.

You have been letting the cuttings dry out and you haven't put them in soil so they can callous, correct?

After two weeks, you can definitely put them in some soil and water. Littlejadebonsai on Instagram just plants his right away, and just lets it stay dry in the soil for a bit before watering. They recover just as fast as left out in the air. As long as you have inorganic, well-draining soil, your jade will do great!

You are correct...cut them two weeks ago and now want to pot them to try to do a sort of bonsai forest. I was going to use cacti / succulent soil for this project. So...best not to water them much initially?

The Jade tree is a really cool plant and reproduces very easily, every year I cut a few branches from plants that are too big to replant them directly into smaller pots , and it succeeds every time.

Exemple , this one comes from a big plant that i couldn't move anymore , you just have to find an effective way to fix them together , so that it doesn't move .

View attachment 318379
I'm not wild about jades, though I do have one, but your pot is is outstanding.

You may be trying to drill a porcelain pot. You should use diamond core bits and drill keeping it constantly wet like forsooth says. Bits are cheap on Amazon. Treat them well and they last a long time. Try drilling dry and you will ruin the bit quickly.

I gave up trying to drill the pot. Will just use something else.

You may be trying to drill a porcelain pot. You should use diamond core bits and drill keeping it constantly wet like forsooth says. Bits are cheap on Amazon. Treat them well and they last a long time. Try drilling dry and you will ruin the bit quickly.
Drill bits are not like boring bits. The diamond or carbide coated boring bits work, period, and the drills won't unless you are equipped with the skills and machinery to use them. Period.

Drill bits are not like boring bits. The diamond or carbide coated boring bits work, period, and the drills won't unless you are equipped with the skills and machinery to use them. Period.
I agree and I know you worded this carefully as to cover your ass, but I never really agree with the expletive period. I believe everything is in the gray area. In the lapidary business years ago I did all sorts of things that might not seem probable, like drilling (yes drilling not boring) through ruby and sapphire.
Period! :D

things that might not seem probable, like drilling (yes drilling not boring) through ruby and sapphire.

Whoah! Neat!!!!!!

We occasionally find SMALLER rubies and sapphires.. it took me a while to realize that’s what they are.... because raw... they don’t really look “how you’d expect them to”

I want to hear more about the “drilling”, though...

I’m a sucker for imparted knowledge/tales.

🤓

the mention of keeping the water during the process is important. i just drilled 3, .75" holes in high quality houseplant white pots this past week or two. used a black and decker drill, diamond bit off amazon, pooled water to area i was cutting, and slow and steady made the cuts. youre cutting blind because the water takes on the cut clay and it colors the water instantly. getting the opposite side youre drilling not to chip a little bit is tough, but for me this worked out to be the inside of the pot anyway and it should be fine indoors.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom