Any fan of bonsai heirloom on here?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mr. Chen quite rough with when he style his tree. In the above video, he pretty much barefoot a mature JBP. I thought am pretty sloppy when it's to work on JBP but he seems worse but he does have "nice" trees.... just not Japanese refined.

I enjoy his content, seems like a sweet man. He definitely does things a little differently which I don’t think is a bad thing.

I expect to see this kind of reaction from some members here. Most of the things he did are opposite of what most of us have been told not to do... but we all have a different thinking of what a good bonsai look like.

I expect to see this kind of reaction from some members here. Most of the things he did are opposite of what most of us have been told not to do... but we all have a different thinking of what a good bonsai look like.
Yeah, it's partly technique, partly the indicators that' he's used paid fake reviews/comments/ subscribers to game the algorithm. Shady stuff.

Edit: a very obvious example:

1000004210.png

I’ve watched some of his content, but I’m not particularly inclined to follow what he does. I guess it works for him in his garden with his watering regime and aftercare, but I think there are better teachers whose methods are more reproducible in the hands of ordinary folks who are following along.

I saw a couple of his videos just for entertainment, didn't think much of it except that he has an online store coming lol.

I don't see a reason why he assaulted those roots like that. Just pulled out chunks of soil willy nilly. I'd be surprised if that tree thrives in the next few years.

I saw one of his videos a few months back. Then saw the subscriber numbers and was shocked, wondering how he managed that and did a deep dive into his channel. Nothing there that I found eye-opening.

I did a social blade on his channel and saw weeks with 10k+ subscribers and less than 10K views. Concluded 90% of his subscribers must have been bought.
My envy dropped, and turned into sadness in where the world is going.

Wow I hadn’t a clue about his channel being built off of those methods. I find it hard to believe he’d have the wherewithal or know how to do it himself but he definitely seems to have people more in the know managing the production of his videos. Definitely see him in a new light now.

He has more money than talent. Sometimes that all it takes I guess.

From what he says, he's been practicing bonsai for many many years. I think what happened is he never evolved with the new techniques that have improved things like soil composition, repotting, etc.
I watch his videos simply to see what wild thing he does each video, and he often references books that were in print in the 80s

A couple observations from the few videos I've hate-watched:

1. Loves to call himself doctor constantly despite the subject of the video having no relevance to his PHD.
2. No desire to understand how soil compositions effect root development. He waxes poetic about the quality of his organic soil composition, yet the root systems of bonsai hes been training for decades do not reflect these purported benefits.
3. Refusal to do basic minutiae of bonsai: Wiring trees into pots, Branch wiring in general. Unless you can establish a compelling reason you abstain from what is considered best practice, please stay quiet.
4. Loves to drop ostentatious ages like 1,000 for his Junipers, just tells me you're trying to impress the uninformed.

Ultimately I couldn't care any less about how somebody decides to conduct their self as a hobbyist, how we enjoy bonsai is ultimately an individual discretion. When you begin to represent yourself as an educator and unrelentingly refer to yourself as doctor, I certainly hold you to a different standard. You have an obligation to provide people with the most contemporary and accurate information, buying views to satisfy your vanity and misrepresent your standing in the community is deplorable.

Oh Lord, I had no idea his videos were bad to learn from, certainly could explain several of the failures I've been having... I just figured my particular environment was particularly difficult to use these techniques on... I need to find proper books

Oh Lord, I had no idea his videos were bad to learn from, certainly could explain several of the failures I've been having... I just figured my particular environment was particularly difficult to use these techniques on... I need to find proper books

Forget books, find a club or a teacher in your area that can help you learn what works for your climate.

Forget books, find a club or a teacher in your area that can help you learn what works for your climate.
Unfortunately the nearest club is an hour away and my vehicle is... Less than reliable.. I've been considering it very heavily lately, hell I've even considered the whole "head to Japan and learn for 6 years" but I don't see that being a thing I could possibly do frustrating but I'll probably need to risk the drive to learn properly

Unfortunately the nearest club is an hour away and my vehicle is... Less than reliable.. I've been considering it very heavily lately, hell I've even considered the whole "head to Japan and learn for 6 years" but I don't see that being a thing I could possibly do frustrating but I'll probably need to risk the drive to learn properly
I don't think you have to see it as black and white as Ruddigger.

Learning online is still a viable option, you just need to develop a sense for what information is reliable and which isn't.
There is a lot of fact checking involved.

I never just follow the advice given in one video or from one website.
I watch or read about the same procedure from at least 5 to 10 different sources, which will give an average truth.
So far it hasn't let me down.

I do have the fortune that Mirai is in a similar zone to me.
They are one of the few sources I will follow without trepidation.
I've found that the calendar in the Mirai app is helpful too as it adapts to your zone.

I don't think you have to see it as black and white as Ruddigger.

Learning online is still a viable option, you just need to develop a sense for what information is reliable and which isn't.
There is a lot of fact checking involved.

I never just follow the advice given in one video or from one website.
I watch or read about the same procedure from at least 5 to 10 different sources, which will give an average truth.
So far it hasn't let me down.

I do have the fortune that Mirai is in a similar zone to me.
They are one of the few sources I will follow without trepidation.
I've found that the calendar in the Mirai app is helpful too as it adapts to your zone.
Might have to try the mirai app, no content creators from my climate, for very good reason 😅 we get half the growing season of anywhere else, combined with our extremely low humidity and wildly inconsistent weather.. it's tough for sure. I did recently get some quaking aspens to play with and they have been fine but I also only did anything serious with one ( a raft planting)

Back
Top Bottom