Any chance at a ID?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Seen this on a mountain in North Idaho. I don't believe its native as I've never seen one before. Its also not the typical juniper you see in the landscape.
The foliage was almost weeping and looked really wispy. I wasn't able to photograph the whole tree.

I though it had cones until I got up close, I do believe they are galls.
It doesn't have what I wpuld consider a typical cedar or juniper scent when the foliage is crushed

Attachments

• 20220512_110015.jpg
    20220512_110015.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220513_054602.jpg
    20220513_054602.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220513_054615.jpg
    20220513_054615.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220513_054626.jpg
    20220513_054626.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220513_054702.jpg
    20220513_054702.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 58

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m going with ERC. Stringy adult foliage

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've seen some rocky mountain junipers at the nursery with very droopy/weeping foliage. I would guess that before ERC, especially since RMJ is native to that area and ERC is not

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its infested with something. I had put it in a glass of water overnight and the hard balls turned jelly like.
It's cedar apple rust. A fungus that attacks junipers.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I've seen some rocky mountain junipers at the nursery with very droopy/weeping foliage. I would guess that before ERC, especially since RMJ is native to that area and ERC is not
I wondered about ERC myself but it just didn't quite look right.
The tree was much thinner and open than pictures of RMJ but it was severely infested and growing under a large pine.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@GailC - that gall definitely looks like rust, cedar-apple rust or one of the variants that can alternate with pear or quince.

The foliage could be unusually loose due to shade growing, what ever species of juniper is native in Idaho. RMJ?.

I believe possible to be western cedar, Thuja plicata, native to northern half of Idaho. Don't know if Thuja are susceptible to cedar-apple rusts. I don't think they are, but I'm not sure.

A fungicide that lists rust as target diseases would be appropriate, check the label for Mancozeb. But read the label thoroughly yourself, please.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Could it be some kind of Cypress, Cupressus? There is a weeping form.

Or False Cypress, Chamaecyparis?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could it be some kind of Cypress, Cupressus? There is a weeping form.

Or False Cypress, Chamaecyparis?
If it's growing on a mountainside in N. Idaho, false cypress is impossible, unless someone planted it there. False cypress is native to Japan and Asia. Same for most other cypress species, not native to Idaho. Cupressus nootkatensis (Alaska Yellow Cedar) could be an outside candidate as it grows in adjacent Washington state, but the foliage is wrong.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Looks Juniper for sure, Thuja or Chamaecyparis dont grow like that, Cupressus foliage is also diferent

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
If it's growing on a mountainside in N. Idaho, false cypress is impossible, unless someone planted it there. False cypress is native to Japan and Asia. Same for most other cypress species, not native to Idaho. Cupressus nootkatensis (Alaska Yellow Cedar) could be an outside candidate as it grows in adjacent Washington state, but the foliage is wrong.
Looking at pictures, it looks closer to a false cypress then any junipers I saw.

I've not ever seen any juniper of any kind in the wilds here. Whatever this is, I suspect it its not there of its own accord.
Can trees like this be spread by birds eating the seeds?
Its also possible someone tossed out landscape plants. This wasn't too far out of town on a well maintained road.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If the weather is nice I may go to natures way tomorrow, I can snap pics of a tree or two that look exactly like this one. assuming they aren't sold

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
99% sure it’s Mourning cypress (Cupressus funebris) is indigenous to central and southwestern China. It’s grown as an ornamental in public parks and gardens in temperate regions of the world. In colder climates, it’s planted indoors. There’s a legendary 800-year-old specimen at Black Dragon Pool Mountain Temple near Kunming, China.

Top Bottom